News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 22, 2017, 02:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2357436 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9150 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
I buy all my shoes at Whole Earth Provisions or REI.  Merrill sports sandals for summer, Clarks low boots for winter.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9151 on: April 13, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
Can a car have a driver preference? Is there something in a car that has it learn your driving habits?

My car's specs show 28 city /37 hwy as its average mpg.  I consistently get 37 city/41 hwy mpg,  but when my DH or anyone else drives my car it totally tanks my average gas mileage to 28 mpg for city driving.

I don't understand why the huge gap.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

demarco

« Reply #9152 on: April 13, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Dazi, the same thing happens when DH drives my car. In our case it is because I drive correctly and DH drives like a bat out of ehell.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #9153 on: April 13, 2014, 05:38:24 PM »
Dazi, the same thing happens when DH drives my car. In our case it is because I drive correctly and DH drives like a bat out of ehell.

My former DH and I had the same discrepancy when I would drive his car. For the same reason :).

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9154 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
A person who is smooth and gentle on the accelerator, pressing it slowly from a start, as well as taking their foot off the gas earlier when approaching a red light will get much better gas mileage than the person who gives their passengers whiplash by hammering on the accelerator when starting and slamming on the brakes when stopping.

I get decent mileage, often better than the posted mileage for the vehicle.  There are very few people I can ride with without getting carsick because of their lack of smoothness.  And if it is stop and go traffic, regardless of the driver?  I'm green inside 10 minutes unless I'm driving.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9155 on: April 13, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
A person who is smooth and gentle on the accelerator, pressing it slowly from a start, as well as taking their foot off the gas earlier when approaching a red light will get much better gas mileage than the person who gives their passengers whiplash by hammering on the accelerator when starting and slamming on the brakes when stopping.
My driving instructor, umpty-many years ago, would put a glass of water on the dashboard.  If you spilled the water by braking too hard, or accelerating too fast, you failed that day's lesson. 

DH used to holler at me "Why aren't you braking?!?"  Because I took my foot off the accelerator half-a-block back, and we're now coasting as the car slows down naturally, that's why. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9156 on: April 13, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »

I get decent mileage, often better than the posted mileage for the vehicle.  There are very few people I can ride with without getting carsick because of their lack of smoothness.  And if it is stop and go traffic, regardless of the driver?  I'm green inside 10 minutes unless I'm driving.

Ah,  that makes a lot of sense.   I drive very smooth because I get very carsick very easy.   I often get carsick with DH driving, even if I'm in the front seat.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

guihong

« Reply #9157 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Has anyone else ever noticed that we tend to say "kitty litter" and "cat food"?  Why?  My only guess is the way "kitty" and "litter" have the same number of syllables and nearly the same middle sound, so  it rolls off the tongue easily.  "Cat" and "Food", the same thing. 

Now I know I think too much  ::).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9158 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:20 PM »
We say cat littler and kitty food here.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9159 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
I can't say "kitty litter" without my tongue tripping over it several times, so it's always "cat litter" or just "litter" here!
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9160 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:44 AM »
I can't say "kitty litter" without my tongue tripping over it several times, so it's always "cat litter" or just "litter" here!

Considering your post and your sig, I am quite amused.

magicdomino

« Reply #9161 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
I think "kitty litter" was originally trademarked, or at least invented, by the man who invented absorbant clay gravel.  In any case, it was a marketing thing.

From Wikipedia:

In 1947, Lowe decided to sell the clay. He packaged it in 5 lb bags and called it "Kitty Litter." He suggested that a local pet store sell it for 69 cents. The store owner refused, saying that it would not sell because sand was so much cheaper. Lowe told him to give it away free until people were willing to pay for it. Kitty Litter was a success. Lowe drove around the country selling Kitty Litter. He even cleaned boxes at cat shows so he could get a booth to demonstrate his product. He founded Edward Lowe Industries and created Tidy Cat cat box filler in 1964. In the early 1980s, he almost lost his market to Clorox, but by 1990 Edward Lowe Industries was the top producer of cat box filler.[5]

Margo

« Reply #9162 on: April 14, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
I would say cat litter and cat food. I'm in the UK - maybe we didn't have the same branding?

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9163 on: April 14, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »

Considering your post and your sig, I am quite amused.

;D ;D ;D

I stumble over the weirdest things, really!
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Carotte

« Reply #9164 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Does the phrase "this person is having a cow" comes from the word conniption?

I just made the connection today, and realised I have no idea how to translate conniption in my own mother tongue.