Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1036210 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9195 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
We say cat littler and kitty food here.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9196 on: April 13, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »
I can't say "kitty litter" without my tongue tripping over it several times, so it's always "cat litter" or just "litter" here!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9197 on: April 14, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
I can't say "kitty litter" without my tongue tripping over it several times, so it's always "cat litter" or just "litter" here!

Considering your post and your sig, I am quite amused.

magicdomino

« Reply #9198 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
I think "kitty litter" was originally trademarked, or at least invented, by the man who invented absorbant clay gravel.  In any case, it was a marketing thing.

From Wikipedia:

In 1947, Lowe decided to sell the clay. He packaged it in 5 lb bags and called it "Kitty Litter." He suggested that a local pet store sell it for 69 cents. The store owner refused, saying that it would not sell because sand was so much cheaper. Lowe told him to give it away free until people were willing to pay for it. Kitty Litter was a success. Lowe drove around the country selling Kitty Litter. He even cleaned boxes at cat shows so he could get a booth to demonstrate his product. He founded Edward Lowe Industries and created Tidy Cat cat box filler in 1964. In the early 1980s, he almost lost his market to Clorox, but by 1990 Edward Lowe Industries was the top producer of cat box filler.[5]

Margo

« Reply #9199 on: April 14, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
I would say cat litter and cat food. I'm in the UK - maybe we didn't have the same branding?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9200 on: April 14, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »

Considering your post and your sig, I am quite amused.

;D ;D ;D

I stumble over the weirdest things, really!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Carotte

« Reply #9201 on: April 14, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »
Does the phrase "this person is having a cow" comes from the word conniption?

I just made the connection today, and realised I have no idea how to translate conniption in my own mother tongue.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9202 on: April 14, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »

I just made the connection today, and realised I have no idea how to translate conniption in my own mother tongue.

Not that I can tell.  It appears that it comes from the much earlier Scottish phrase of "having kittens".  In short, it was a superstition about witches that turned into a common phrase which morphed as it moved over seas to compare the carrying on (moaning and groaning) one would expect to accompany the birthing of a cow.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9203 on: April 14, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Bart Simpson is quite famous for saying "Don't have a cow, man".  ;)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9204 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »

I'd say "having a cow" is similar to the phrase "having kittens",  more anxiety related,  IMO.

Conniption is similar in meaning,  but not quite the same ...It's a fit of rage/hysteria and is a common slang phrase in the southern US.  A conniption fit requires hand and body gestures like throwing your arms in the air in FRUSTRATION and eye rolling. I think it's been around since the 1800s, so quite a bit longer than "having a cow".

ETA : it has been suggested that it is a corruption of the word canapshus or captious.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:41:25 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9205 on: April 15, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

squeakers

« Reply #9206 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9207 on: April 16, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »
Babybartfast had surgery almost a month ago.  She STILL has surgical tape residue in several places on her skin.  If it were me I'd just scrub myself raw and hope for the best, but she freaks out if you try anything more than a gentle once-over with a washcloth in the bathtub.  Any suggestions for other ways to get the residue off besides just scrubbing?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9208 on: April 16, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
Non-acetone nail polish remover might do the trick.

Or, strange as it sounds, WD-40.  Maybe try a little mineral oil or baby oil or vegetable oil, though, first, before pulling out the big guns.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Marga

« Reply #9209 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
Babybartfast had surgery almost a month ago.  She STILL has surgical tape residue in several places on her skin.  If it were me I'd just scrub myself raw and hope for the best, but she freaks out if you try anything more than a gentle once-over with a washcloth in the bathtub.  Any suggestions for other ways to get the residue off besides just scrubbing?

Benzene should do the trick. Or just make her wear clothing *over* the residue, hoping it will rub off in wear.