Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1059361 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9210 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
I wouldn't use benzene on a toddler.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9211 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
I second some kind of oil or vaseline.  If that doesn't work, bring out the WD-40

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9212 on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »
Rubbing alcohol can sometimes help, although that usually does involve at least a bit of scrubbing.

You might want to leave a cloth soaked with baby oil over the residue for a while, that might loosen it better than just trying to wipe it off right away.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9213 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »

Guess I should clarify  :P  Babybartfast is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten.  The residue is on her thigh, her stomach, and the back of her hand - two of the three of which are pretty visible in current weather.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #9214 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »

Guess I should clarify  :P  Babybartfast is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten.  The residue is on her thigh, her stomach, and the back of her hand - two of the three of which are pretty visible in current weather.

Butter or margarine.
Run it onto the residue, then wash off with soap.
Alternatively, mix the butter with liquid dish soap.
Rub gently with a washcloth.
Slather, rinse, repeat. ;D

Sounds weird, but it works. My mom used it on us we got covered in pitch from climbing pine trees. I used it on my own kids for the same thing and for bandaid residue.
Works like a charm!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9215 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
Nail polish remover dissolves most glues and paints as it's acetone. I once used it to clean spray paint off a glass table when I forgot to put down newspaper.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9216 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
I personally wouldn't use harsh chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin like benzene and acetone, especially near an incision site.

Try an oil.  If it doesn't work, well, it will wear off eventually.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lisat

« Reply #9217 on: April 16, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
I have a question for all you computer experts. Why do you have to type your email twice when registering for something?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9218 on: April 16, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
I have a question for all you computer experts. Why do you have to type your email twice when registering for something?

It's more for YOU to make sure that you've typed in the right email address.  By confirming an email address, if you've made a mistake in typing it'll be caught.  Not all sites do it though

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9219 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Yes, many people type the wrong one in and then complain when they don't receive the stuff they've signed up for. Less chance of doing that twice.

Victoria

Margo

« Reply #9220 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*

Are there laws in your area about buying / transporting  knives / weapons? If so, hair cutting shears may count as knives for the purpose of the rules.

magicdomino

« Reply #9221 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*

Are there laws in your area about buying / transporting  knives / weapons? If so, hair cutting shears may count as knives for the purpose of the rules.

Or someone checked the wrong box.  I had a small something ordered off of Amazon -- cheap earphones, maybe? -- that required a signature for delivery.  Not just signing the sticky note left the day before, but an in-person signature.  I've had much more expensive items, from a Miele vacuum cleaner to a laptop computer, dropped off without requiring a signature.  I have a relatively secure place to have them dropped off.  I'm not taking several hours off from work to sign for a $15 item.  Sent an email to Amazon customer service informing them of this.  The item presumably went back to the warehouse after UPS made three attempts and the sale was canceled.

Redsoil

« Reply #9222 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Actually, eucalyptus oil is awesome for getting surgical or strapping tape residue off skin gently.  Not sure if it's available in the US, though.  Definitely much better for skin than harsh chemicals!

*Just checked and you can get from Amazon. 
http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Eucalyptus-Oil-ounce/dp/B0019LRZ2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397745357&sr=8-1&keywords=eucalyptus+oil
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9223 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
Slartibartfast, try Goo Gone. It works great and is a natural oil. It is available at most grocery stores in the cleaning section.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9224 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

Butter or margarine.
Run it onto the residue, then wash off with soap.
Alternatively, mix the butter with liquid dish soap.
Rub gently with a washcloth.
Slather, rinse, repeat. ;D

Sounds weird, but it works. My mom used it on us we got covered in pitch from climbing pine trees. I used it on my own kids for the same thing and for bandaid residue.
Works like a charm!

Along these lines, try peanut butter. It tastes better! ;)