News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 10:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2425053 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9240 on: May 20, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »
How often is too often for a person to change employers? What looks bad on a resume?
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Betelnut

« Reply #9241 on: May 20, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
How often is too often for a person to change employers? What looks bad on a resume?

In my experience (I've recruited for over 10 positions, sifted through hundreds of resumes and conducted dozens of interviews), less than two years, 3-4 times.  One or two 1 year jobs don't ring a bell but 3 or 4 or more jobs that only lasted 1-2 years starts looking like the person is a flake.  I would like to see someone who can stick with a job 2-5 years at a pop.

YMMV
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9242 on: May 20, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
I kind of feel like a fashion dunce for even wanting to ask this question, but where did the trend for painting just your ring finger nails a different color from the rest of them come from? Is this just something common in my area, or have any of you seen something similar?

I keep seeing people with manicures done this way, and I can't for the life of me figure out who decided that was the cool thing to do, or why anyone would want to do it. But I also rarely paint my nails (because I'm lazy), and generally use pretty neutral colors when I do, so I'm probably not a great person to weigh in on this subject. :P

I've been seeing a lot of people with some very neat designs, often with one or more fingers different from the others. I haven't noticed the ring finger specifically being the different one, but haven't looked that close.

I REALLY want to try some of these designs, but my nails are in lousy shape, so any attempts would require getting fake nails first.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

« Reply #9243 on: May 20, 2014, 02:03:34 PM »

In my experience (I've recruited for over 10 positions, sifted through hundreds of resumes and conducted dozens of interviews), less than two years, 3-4 times.  One or two 1 year jobs don't ring a bell but 3 or 4 or more jobs that only lasted 1-2 years starts looking like the person is a flake.  I would like to see someone who can stick with a job 2-5 years at a pop.

YMMV

Thank you. We have had two employees in the last few years that have come to us from jobs they had for less than one year, and stayed with our large organization for less than one year. In both cases, they did a good job and would have been kept in their positions, but moved on of their own volition.

One of these employees is now trying to return after two months at her new position/organization. It just made me think I might be mistaken about that looking poorly on a resume.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9244 on: May 20, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »

YMMV

Thank you. We have had two employees in the last few years that have come to us from jobs they had for less than one year, and stayed with our large organization for less than one year. In both cases, they did a good job and would have been kept in their positions, but moved on of their own volition.

One of these employees is now trying to return after two months at her new position/organization. It just made me think I might be mistaken about that looking poorly on a resume.

I think it depends a lot on the industry, too.  An engineer is expected to stay in one position much longer than a retail employee would, for example.

ladyknight1

« Reply #9245 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.
-J.R.R Tolkien

GreenHall

« Reply #9246 on: May 20, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.
I also work in the state university system (same state, I'm fairly sure :)) Moving around here is just about the only way to get a pay increase, so I wouldn't be as shocked if there were regular moves within the overall organization.  The one wanting to come back after a couple months in a new position, well, I've seen here how dysfunctional/toxic a new work environment could wind up.  If you were happy with her before, it might be worth bringing up in an interview to see what she says.

ladyknight1

« Reply #9247 on: May 20, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »
One left the state entirely and switched to a tourism related job, the other went to a different university.
-J.R.R Tolkien

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #9248 on: May 20, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
How odd.  I had never heard of the one finger different colour.  This morning one of my younger employees walked in with four red nails and one white/silver one.  I made a comment on it and she tells me the 'everybody" is doing it now.

camlan

« Reply #9249 on: May 21, 2014, 07:37:57 AM »

I've done a bit of hiring. I wouldn't blink twice at someone who has held different positions within the same company/organization, unless the moves were so frequent that it looked like the company was trying to deal with an incompetent employee by moving them around until they found a supervisor who wouldn't complain about them.

But someone who has worked for the same company for six years and held 4 different positions? Not a problem, especially if the positions reflect promotions or increased skills or knowledge on the part of the employee.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9250 on: May 24, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9251 on: May 24, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

Dindrane

« Reply #9252 on: May 25, 2014, 01:48:32 AM »
I thought of something earlier tonight that I've vaguely wondered about for a long time. When you go out to eat with your spouse or significant other, and you get seated at a 4-person table or booth, do you generally sit across from each other or next to each other?

Personally, I have never understood sitting next to each other, because it makes conversing while eating kind of difficult. When I eat out with my husband, we always sit across from each other, but I see probably just as many couples who choose to sit next to each other at 4-person tables. I can see some pros to such an arrangement, but mostly I just think it would make for sort of awkward dinner conversation. Is there something I'm missing?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9253 on: May 25, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
I thought of something earlier tonight that I've vaguely wondered about for a long time. When you go out to eat with your spouse or significant other, and you get seated at a 4-person table or booth, do you generally sit across from each other or next to each other?

Personally, I have never understood sitting next to each other, because it makes conversing while eating kind of difficult. When I eat out with my husband, we always sit across from each other, but I see probably just as many couples who choose to sit next to each other at 4-person tables. I can see some pros to such an arrangement, but mostly I just think it would make for sort of awkward dinner conversation. Is there something I'm missing?

I prefer sitting across from my DH.  Otherwise I have no idea what he is saying as I have trouble hearing anyone talk in most restaurants. The only time I might sit next to him is at those weird 4 tops that are small and every chair gets its own side of the table (Outback has a few like that ).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9254 on: May 25, 2014, 07:07:42 AM »
seated at four-tops with two per side? we sit opposite each other.
at four-tops with one per side? kitty corner to each other.
I prefer to sit across from DH so that we can converse, also because he tends to talk with his hands and if he sits *next* to someone he will often (without meaning to) knock something flying.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,