Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1001792 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9240 on: April 26, 2014, 10:53:42 PM »
This could probably get its own thread but is also a bit of a stupid question, so.

Can anyone recommend a fitness app for iOS that lets you track calories, what you eat, what's in your food (sodium, etc), and has NOTHING to do with that "my fitness pal" thing? I'm going to be giving my old iPod to my mother soon, and she's trying to track what she eats so she can try and keep her blood pressure down with dietary changes, so I thought I'd load an app onto there for her.

Not an app but I used SuperTracker (https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx) for a while and enjoyed. It was easy to use and gave me all the information I needed.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9241 on: April 27, 2014, 06:49:11 AM »
there's a few diet tracker apps out there - but a lot of them are associated with fitness apps too.
check out some of the heart health organisations - I know that the Heart Foundation Australia has an app like that but I'm not sure about international availability.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

perpetua

« Reply #9242 on: April 27, 2014, 07:08:10 AM »
I think Nutracheck does that. It certainly lets you keep a food diary and has a huge food database of calories, fat, etc. There is a place to log activity too but it's not fitness based, per se.

Molebert

« Reply #9243 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
Sparkpeople is pretty good too. Can't vouch for the ios app unfortunately, but the website is great and their food database is solid and the app was alright on android a couple of years ago.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9244 on: April 27, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! :) I'll check these out with Mom later and see if any of them fit her needs. (And hopefully get her to quit refusing to try Sparkpeople, just because my sister doesn't like it...)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9245 on: April 28, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Yea, for that I'd chat with a doc first.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9246 on: May 15, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
How/where can I make pictures into line art?  I want to make my engagement photos into line art in order to make a coloring book (a joke between DF and me).  Does anyone know how and/or where I can get this done?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9247 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
A quick google gives me this site http://www.snapstouch.com

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9248 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »
What did you search?  I tried so many different things and couldn't come up with anything reasonable and/or easy.  Thank you thank you thank you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9249 on: May 15, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
"convert photo to line drawing"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9250 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
I think your keyword is "convert"...I don't think I used it :D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #9251 on: May 16, 2014, 02:40:00 AM »
I know there are quite a few horse-wise people here, so I figure someone here knows the answer to something I'm just idly wondering about.

I've been reading a fantasy series recently. The characters undertake a continent-spanning quest. The travel is almost constant and it's by horseback. The horses seem to be galloped over long distances for long periods without that many breaks (or maybe they just don't get mentioned in the text, but I get the general impression that they're moving almost constantly), and when they aren't galloping at breakneck speeds, they're sometimes riding them all day and night at a walking pace.

In contrast, I've seen a few discussions on eHell about show jumping horses that make them seem very delicate and easily prone to injuries that are debilitating and can drag on for months.

So I have a couple of questions:
1) Are horses really capable of that sort of level of sustained cross country effort?
2) Is show jumping an activity that leads to a higher level of injury than long distance travel would?
3) How hardy are horses in regards to heavy labour/long distance riding?

The author seems to be treating them like jeeps with legs, but the discussions about show jumpers seem to paint them as delicate and I can't quite reconcile these two positions to figure out what the real situation with horses is.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9252 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
I know there are quite a few horse-wise people here, so I figure someone here knows the answer to something I'm just idly wondering about.

I've been reading a fantasy series recently. The characters undertake a continent-spanning quest. The travel is almost constant and it's by horseback. The horses seem to be galloped over long distances for long periods without that many breaks (or maybe they just don't get mentioned in the text, but I get the general impression that they're moving almost constantly), and when they aren't galloping at breakneck speeds, they're sometimes riding them all day and night at a walking pace.

In contrast, I've seen a few discussions on eHell about show jumping horses that make them seem very delicate and easily prone to injuries that are debilitating and can drag on for months.

So I have a couple of questions:
1) Are horses really capable of that sort of level of sustained cross country effort?
2) Is show jumping an activity that leads to a higher level of injury than long distance travel would?
3) How hardy are horses in regards to heavy labour/long distance riding?

The author seems to be treating them like jeeps with legs, but the discussions about show jumpers seem to paint them as delicate and I can't quite reconcile these two positions to figure out what the real situation with horses is.

It entirely depends on the breed of horse and what they are trained for. Thoroughbreds tend to be delicate little things that do get injured a lot. And show-jumping or racing, like human sports, have more chance of injuries.

Your average farm horse wouldn't have a problem walking all day, pulling carts, carrying things, etc. as long as they get food and water breaks. People get jobs that keep them on their feet for most of the day, and they get used to it. So do horses. Horses have the additional bonus in that they sleep on their feet. So an hour break or a very slow walk could turn into a nap for your cargo pony. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9253 on: May 16, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Most horses can walk all day, but to gallop for very long (hours) is beyond their abilities, and they need time to recover, like any other athlete. That sounds extremely unlikely.

What can you say to a family member who is trying to "keep up with the Joneses" about animal ownership? MIL has told us repeatedly for 8 years that she loves not having a pet to care for, but suddenly decided she needs a certain breed of dog. After doing a little more digging, it is because a woman in the neighborhood has this breed of dog and it is the best thing ever.

MIL doesn't want to buy a puppy from this breed, she wants to find a purebred one to adopt, preferably at no cost. She did go to visit a dog that is mixed breed and has the look of this breed, then decided she must have a purebred dog of this breed.

DH and I are extremely reluctant to encourage her in this, as she does not like animals in her house, this is Florida and it is 90 every day already, and all other dogs she has had were ignored unless it was feeding time or a vet visit. No socialization with other dogs, no walks, no visits to the park. We had to do that to save the dogs from boredom.

Carotte

« Reply #9254 on: May 16, 2014, 11:19:21 AM »
Most horses can walk all day, but to gallop for very long (hours) is beyond their abilities, and they need time to recover, like any other athlete. That sounds extremely unlikely.

What can you say to a family member who is trying to "keep up with the Joneses" about animal ownership? MIL has told us repeatedly for 8 years that she loves not having a pet to care for, but suddenly decided she needs a certain breed of dog. After doing a little more digging, it is because a woman in the neighborhood has this breed of dog and it is the best thing ever.

MIL doesn't want to buy a puppy from this breed, she wants to find a purebred one to adopt, preferably at no cost. She did go to visit a dog that is mixed breed and has the look of this breed, then decided she must have a purebred dog of this breed.

DH and I are extremely reluctant to encourage her in this, as she does not like animals in her house, this is Florida and it is 90 every day already, and all other dogs she has had were ignored unless it was feeding time or a vet visit. No socialization with other dogs, no walks, no visits to the park. We had to do that to save the dogs from boredom.

If she wants a purebreed without paying for it there's only a very slight chance she'll find one no?
It might be months before she finds one at a shelter, and even then maybe they'll have such stringent formalities and questions that they won't accept the adoption.
She might have the means to care for the dog but if she doesn't plan on socializing him or walking him...

Of course you shouldn't encourage her if you know all that you have told us, pets shouldn't be a status symbol  ::), just because someone else has one doesn't mean she needs one, that's toddler/kid behaviour.

Apart from playing up the status boost that is a goldfish  :P I'd say bean dip every time she brings up the subject.