News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2017, 08:20:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2366002 times)

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9255 on: May 25, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

Thanks, MM. It is sealed correctly, so I'll go ahead and test it out when I'm done running errands. :)
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Betelnut

« Reply #9256 on: May 25, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »
When I got out with my daughter, I prefer across but she likes to sit next to me.  Easier to snuggle or hug that way.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9257 on: May 26, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

For many, many years now, I've been dyeing my hair to cover up the grey. While I've don't have a super amount of grey, it's nearly all in the front of my head and it's quite noticeable. This morning I was looking to see if I needed to touch it up or if I thought it could wait another week (it's been 4-6 weeks since the last time I did it) .  To my astonishment, most of my grey hair is gone.  There were a few stands, but I seriously had to hunt for them.

That's weird, right? I've never heard of grey hair that suddenly stopped being grey. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of someone else that has?

The only thing I can attribute this strangeness to is the medically necessary gluten-free diet I was put on several months ago. The first few weeks I felt horrible, but by week four I was feeling better than I had in years. Also, my weak, brittle, nails are a thing of the past. My skin has also improved... The dry patches are no longer dry and the oily patches are no longer so oily.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9258 on: May 26, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »

For many, many years now, I've been dyeing my hair to cover up the grey. While I've don't have a super amount of grey, it's nearly all in the front of my head and it's quite noticeable. This morning I was looking to see if I needed to touch it up or if I thought it could wait another week (it's been 4-6 weeks since the last time I did it) .  To my astonishment, most of my grey hair is gone.  There were a few stands, but I seriously had to hunt for them.

That's weird, right? I've never heard of grey hair that suddenly stopped being grey. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of someone else that has?

The only thing I can attribute this strangeness to is the medically necessary gluten-free diet I was put on several months ago. The first few weeks I felt horrible, but by week four I was feeling better than I had in years. Also, my weak, brittle, nails are a thing of the past. My skin has also improved... The dry patches are no longer dry and the oily patches are no longer so oily.

I think you've found the culprit. The diet change can and will effect your hair. Hai and nails are made of the same stuff (that's just a quick explanation), so it would follow that healthier nails also means healthier hair.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #9259 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

I think you've found the culprit. The diet change can and will effect your hair. Hai and nails are made of the same stuff (that's just a quick explanation), so it would follow that healthier nails also means healthier hair.

I agree that it's probably the diet change - if your nails are better your hair is almost guaranteed to be improving too! Of course the already-grown grey hairs won't have changed colour, but I'd guess that a bunch of your follicles that were growing them have gone "Welp, time for some rejuvenation!" and the hairs themselves have fallen out while a new hair gets ready to grow.

...that is an utterly terrible attempt at explaining what I mean, but I am currently hormonal and queasy and my brain won't come up with anything better. :-[
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9260 on: May 26, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
I thought of something earlier tonight that I've vaguely wondered about for a long time. When you go out to eat with your spouse or significant other, and you get seated at a 4-person table or booth, do you generally sit across from each other or next to each other?

Personally, I have never understood sitting next to each other, because it makes conversing while eating kind of difficult. When I eat out with my husband, we always sit across from each other, but I see probably just as many couples who choose to sit next to each other at 4-person tables. I can see some pros to such an arrangement, but mostly I just think it would make for sort of awkward dinner conversation. Is there something I'm missing?
It depends on a few things, mostly how big the table is. At a food court, DH and I like to sit side by side with our own table. In a booth at a restaurant we sit opposite each other if it's just us as it's more private. The best arrangement I think is when we can sit on perpendicular sides of the table, next to each other but at an angle. This was his we sat at my favourite restaurant for my birthday which was basically all couples.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9261 on: May 26, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
DH and I will sit on the same side if it is a booth and table and at a restaurant where the meal will last an hour or longer. We like to hold hands.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9262 on: May 26, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
DH and I will sit on the same side if it is a booth and table and at a restaurant where the meal will last an hour or longer. We like to hold hands.

We also like to hold hands, but we always do it across the table. If it's just is, always across the table from one another. Today was the first time in over a year that we have sat on the same side of a table when it was just us and Six. Usually, we sit across from each other and she sits with one of us.

Dindrane

« Reply #9263 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »
I forgot about four-tops that are squares...my husband and I will sometimes sit on adjacent sides of tables like that, if it's an average-to-large size table. It's kind of a balance between having enough room for our food and being close enough together to be able to hear what the other is saying.

But what I was thinking of when I asked about how couples sit at tables large enough for four were the rectangular variety, with two seats on each side.

I don't know if our restaurant habits are particularly common, but we tend to spend at least 50% of our time in the restaurant actively engaged in eating. This is partly because I have been eating increasingly slowly (largely because of braces, though I was trying to remember to slow down when eating before that), but also because we tend not to linger once we've paid our bill. I don't think we'd be able to talk to each other very effectively while eating if we were sitting next to each other. We sit across from each other at our rectangular table at home, too, because we spend 100% of our time at that table actively eating our meals. :)

Thipu1

« Reply #9264 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
We sit opposite each other because I'm left-handed and Mr. Thipu is right-handed.  At home we sit across from each other so it's just natural for us to do so when we dine out. 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9265 on: May 27, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
DH and I recently moved into a house built in 1961 from a brand new house.  We've noticed the kitchen sink stains very easily and frequently.  We never had an issue like that in our other home.  I have no idea if the sink is from 1961 or not.  It is in good shape, no nicks or anything.  I've looked just a little online to see if there is some product we could use on the sink so it wouldn't stain so much.  I found a Rust-Oleum product for glazing a tub or tile.  Is that something we could use?  Has anyone used something else with good results?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:47:26 AM by ScubaGirl »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9266 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
We sit opposite each other because I'm left-handed and Mr. Thipu is right-handed.  At home we sit across from each other so it's just natural for us to do so when we dine out.

We are the opposite! I always have to think of which side to sit on when we are with DS, as both the men are left handed and I am right.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

daen

« Reply #9267 on: May 29, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »

We are the opposite! I always have to think of which side to sit on when we are with DS, as both the men are left handed and I am right.

When my husband was growing up, he was sure he was going to meet and marry a left-handed woman, so he practiced left-handed eating skills. That way, when he and his love ate together, they wouldn't have to worry about seating arrangements or mis-timed elbows.

Turns out I'm right-handed.  ;)  Oh well.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9268 on: May 29, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

When my husband was growing up, he was sure he was going to meet and marry a left-handed woman, so he practiced left-handed eating skills. That way, when he and his love ate together, they wouldn't have to worry about seating arrangements or mis-timed elbows.

Turns out I'm right-handed.  ;)  Oh well.
It never hurts to be able to eat with either hand, just in case you wind up in a cast some day...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

« Reply #9269 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

I don't think you even need to seal the faceplate--you probably didn't remove it. You just pulled up on the plug part and it came right out, didn't it? And the silver collar is still in position.  It'll work just fine.

You can even  put the plug back in if you want. I do this all the time.