Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1087797 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9270 on: May 19, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »
Oh boy, that won't end well if she actually gets a Ridgie. A relative of mine had one... gorgeous dog, wonderful with family and children and anyone who was introduced to him as a friend, excellent guard dog - he spent his nights loose in the yard at a dealership and treed at least one attempted burglar on top of a tractor - and yes, very intelligent. The number of ways he worked out to get on the furniture without actually technically being on the furniture was impressive.

Did he ever try "If I lay across three people's laps and dont touch the couch I'm NOT on the couch"?

Our Great Dane did.

Ah yes the 100+ pound lap dogs.  Our old Rottweiler used to do that

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9271 on: May 19, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
I kind of feel like a fashion dunce for even wanting to ask this question, but where did the trend for painting just your ring finger nails a different color from the rest of them come from? Is this just something common in my area, or have any of you seen something similar?

I keep seeing people with manicures done this way, and I can't for the life of me figure out who decided that was the cool thing to do, or why anyone would want to do it. But I also rarely paint my nails (because I'm lazy), and generally use pretty neutral colors when I do, so I'm probably not a great person to weigh in on this subject. :P

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9272 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »
I think for the most part it's just a trend, but I did find an article talking about how it's a "signal" for certain gender-preference.

wheeitsme

« Reply #9273 on: May 20, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »
I kind of feel like a fashion dunce for even wanting to ask this question, but where did the trend for painting just your ring finger nails a different color from the rest of them come from? Is this just something common in my area, or have any of you seen something similar?

I keep seeing people with manicures done this way, and I can't for the life of me figure out who decided that was the cool thing to do, or why anyone would want to do it. But I also rarely paint my nails (because I'm lazy), and generally use pretty neutral colors when I do, so I'm probably not a great person to weigh in on this subject. :P

I paint my own nails and I just started doing it because I wanted to have just a bit of a design/highlight, and that seemed the best nail for it. 

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9274 on: May 20, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »

I see it a lot looking for nail art ideas. It's called an accent nail, and yeah, it's just basically there to do something a little "different". Personally I think it's a pain in the butt to have to wrangle several colors of polish for one manicure! :P
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9275 on: May 20, 2014, 04:32:00 AM »
Oh boy, that won't end well if she actually gets a Ridgie. A relative of mine had one... gorgeous dog, wonderful with family and children and anyone who was introduced to him as a friend, excellent guard dog - he spent his nights loose in the yard at a dealership and treed at least one attempted burglar on top of a tractor - and yes, very intelligent. The number of ways he worked out to get on the furniture without actually technically being on the furniture was impressive.

Did he ever try "If I lay across three people's laps and dont touch the couch I'm NOT on the couch"?

Our Great Dane did.

I didn't see that one, but I got personal experience of the "my front feet are still on the floor and my rear end has mysteriously ended up in somebody's lap" technique. ;)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9276 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
The worst manicure I have seen had a lovely bow charm on the ring finger of each nail. It stuck out 1/4" and caught on anything and everything the person touched.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9277 on: May 20, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
How often is too often for a person to change employers? What looks bad on a resume?

Betelnut

« Reply #9278 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
How often is too often for a person to change employers? What looks bad on a resume?

In my experience (I've recruited for over 10 positions, sifted through hundreds of resumes and conducted dozens of interviews), less than two years, 3-4 times.  One or two 1 year jobs don't ring a bell but 3 or 4 or more jobs that only lasted 1-2 years starts looking like the person is a flake.  I would like to see someone who can stick with a job 2-5 years at a pop.

YMMV
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9279 on: May 20, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »

I've been seeing a lot of people with some very neat designs, often with one or more fingers different from the others. I haven't noticed the ring finger specifically being the different one, but haven't looked that close.

I REALLY want to try some of these designs, but my nails are in lousy shape, so any attempts would require getting fake nails first.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9280 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »

In my experience (I've recruited for over 10 positions, sifted through hundreds of resumes and conducted dozens of interviews), less than two years, 3-4 times.  One or two 1 year jobs don't ring a bell but 3 or 4 or more jobs that only lasted 1-2 years starts looking like the person is a flake.  I would like to see someone who can stick with a job 2-5 years at a pop.

YMMV

Thank you. We have had two employees in the last few years that have come to us from jobs they had for less than one year, and stayed with our large organization for less than one year. In both cases, they did a good job and would have been kept in their positions, but moved on of their own volition.

One of these employees is now trying to return after two months at her new position/organization. It just made me think I might be mistaken about that looking poorly on a resume.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9281 on: May 20, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »

YMMV

Thank you. We have had two employees in the last few years that have come to us from jobs they had for less than one year, and stayed with our large organization for less than one year. In both cases, they did a good job and would have been kept in their positions, but moved on of their own volition.

One of these employees is now trying to return after two months at her new position/organization. It just made me think I might be mistaken about that looking poorly on a resume.

I think it depends a lot on the industry, too.  An engineer is expected to stay in one position much longer than a retail employee would, for example.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9282 on: May 20, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.

GreenHall

« Reply #9283 on: May 20, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.
I also work in the state university system (same state, I'm fairly sure :)) Moving around here is just about the only way to get a pay increase, so I wouldn't be as shocked if there were regular moves within the overall organization.  The one wanting to come back after a couple months in a new position, well, I've seen here how dysfunctional/toxic a new work environment could wind up.  If you were happy with her before, it might be worth bringing up in an interview to see what she says.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9284 on: May 20, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
One left the state entirely and switched to a tourism related job, the other went to a different university.