News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 01:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2562386 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9285 on: May 31, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
It matches the other half that is on her friends' foot.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9286 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:59 PM »
Here is my stupid question:

I just found out that Pill Bugs are a type of crustacean.  So, are people that are allergic to shellfish also allergic to pill bugs?

Luci

« Reply #9287 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »

I just found out that Pill Bugs are a type of crustacean.  So, are people that are allergic to shellfish also allergic to pill bugs?

I'm concerned about why you care. The only time I get in contact with them is with a broom or gardening gloves.  :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9288 on: June 01, 2014, 06:46:42 AM »

Well, one would probably have to eat some in order to find out.  ;) I suppose if someone is extremely allergic to shellfish, they might have a reaction just from contact /exposure, but I've never heard of anyone who has.

On the other hand,  I know many people who are allergic to cockroaches and /or shellfish that are terribly allergic to cochineal (natural Red food dyes).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:53:34 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #9289 on: June 01, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »

Well, one would probably have to eat some in order to find out.  ;) I suppose if someone is extremely allergic to shellfish, they might have a reaction just from contact /exposure, but I've never heard of anyone who has.

On the other hand,  I know many people who are allergic to cockroaches and /or shellfish that are terribly allergic to cochineal (natural Red food dyes).

Weeeeelllllll, given what cochineal is made from...  :-X
"Set aphasia to stun!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9290 on: June 01, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

Thanks.  I have fairly mild allergies/sensitivities and didn't know if someone allergic to shellfish can get a reaction just from touching a lobster.  I wondered because if you are traipsing through the woods you usually aren't thinking about running into a crustacean and that might be a problem.

Luci

« Reply #9291 on: June 01, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

Thanks.  I have fairly mild allergies/sensitivities and didn't know if someone allergic to shellfish can get a reaction just from touching a lobster.  I wondered because if you are traipsing through the woods you usually aren't thinking about running into a crustacean and that might be a problem.

Now that I think about it, really:

We had Asian ladybugs in swarms a few years ago, so I would use a vacuum cleaner with a wand to sweep them off the walls and ceiling of the enclosed porch. One family member is allergic to shellfish and had a reaction while I was vacuuming from the pieces that got through the filter. It wasn't severe enough to cause a major problem because he got out of there immediately and didn't return until the dust settled. So, I guess, the thing would be not to touch them or vacuum them.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9292 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
Thank you for the responses regarding our sink.  I don't know what we'll do.  Right now it isn't a high priority (painting and replacing the flooring are next).  I suspect we'll just replace it in the future.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9293 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
In many theatrical programs, certain actors are listed as "Swing."  What does that mean?  I notice that they are all actors playing bit parts or part of the chorus/ensemble.   It doesn't appear to mean 'understudy' because those actors are specifically named.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #9294 on: June 02, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
A swing is like an understudy's understudy.  So if the understudy steps into the leading role, the swing steps into the understudy's role.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9295 on: June 02, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Yesterday, I went to the grocery store. I carried my umbrella and purse in, found a cart, and pulled off to the side and out of the way since there were people coming in and leaving as well.  A woman pushing her toddler in a full shopping cart leaving the store, pulled inches in front of where I was, and huffed until she finally pulled around me. Then she grimaced and audibly sighed as she huffed past me.

What I want to know is:
*What could I have done differently? I was letting people go in and out, there was enough space to get three regular carts through and I was just putting my umbrella and purse in the cart, which took 5-10 seconds.

I think the shopper was frustrated that there were slower people in front of her, unless she pulled where I was, facing the other way. Yes, the other shopper was on a scooter with someone with a cart carrying their items out. They were slow, but you would have gotten out faster if you had just stayed behind them.

One of those "excuse me for living" things I suppose.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9296 on: June 03, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »
A swing is like an understudy's understudy.  So if the understudy steps into the leading role, the swing steps into the understudy's role.
Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

CakeEater

« Reply #9297 on: June 03, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
How do I get posts from business pages that I've liked on FB to show in my newsfeed? I don't want to get notifications from them, though. Is that even possible?

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9298 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »
How do I get posts from business pages that I've liked on FB to show in my newsfeed? I don't want to get notifications from them, though. Is that even possible?

They pay Facebook.  Seriously, it's a really broken system right now - any post they put up is only shown to ~3% of their followers, unless they pay extra.  If those followers like/reply to it, then it gets shown to more.  The end result is a lot of people don't see the posts they specifically signed up to get, even when they want to.

CakeEater

« Reply #9299 on: June 03, 2014, 11:03:56 PM »

They pay Facebook.  Seriously, it's a really broken system right now - any post they put up is only shown to ~3% of their followers, unless they pay extra.  If those followers like/reply to it, then it gets shown to more.  The end result is a lot of people don't see the posts they specifically signed up to get, even when they want to.

I thought that was the case. I do get a few - the ones where I have clicked on their links to take me to their blog/website seem to appear more often. Maybe I should go to all my liked pages and randomly like a bunch of their posts and see if those appear.