Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024897 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9285 on: May 20, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
How odd.  I had never heard of the one finger different colour.  This morning one of my younger employees walked in with four red nails and one white/silver one.  I made a comment on it and she tells me the 'everybody" is doing it now.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #9286 on: May 21, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.

I spent many years as a contractor in the computer field.  As a general rule, my last couple of jobs lasted 5 years each, but I worked for at least 4 different companies in those 5 years.  The contract company would lose the contract, or be bought out, and I'd keep the same job, with the same co-workers and same desk, but someone new would be signing my paycheck.  And my insurance would change.  And that would happen over and over, about once a year, until *something* happened and I went looking for another job.  Believe me, it made for a *very* interesting-looking resume.  Fortunately, this is Contract Land and most people understood.

But in the long run, I'm glad to be a direct government hire now and that is all over for the rest of my working life.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9287 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
Higher education in this case. My particular organization employs thousands of people, so there are many opportunities within for moving up. I have changed positions three times within the same department.

I've done a bit of hiring. I wouldn't blink twice at someone who has held different positions within the same company/organization, unless the moves were so frequent that it looked like the company was trying to deal with an incompetent employee by moving them around until they found a supervisor who wouldn't complain about them.

But someone who has worked for the same company for six years and held 4 different positions? Not a problem, especially if the positions reflect promotions or increased skills or knowledge on the part of the employee.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9288 on: May 24, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9289 on: May 25, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9290 on: May 25, 2014, 02:48:32 AM »
I thought of something earlier tonight that I've vaguely wondered about for a long time. When you go out to eat with your spouse or significant other, and you get seated at a 4-person table or booth, do you generally sit across from each other or next to each other?

Personally, I have never understood sitting next to each other, because it makes conversing while eating kind of difficult. When I eat out with my husband, we always sit across from each other, but I see probably just as many couples who choose to sit next to each other at 4-person tables. I can see some pros to such an arrangement, but mostly I just think it would make for sort of awkward dinner conversation. Is there something I'm missing?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9291 on: May 25, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »
I thought of something earlier tonight that I've vaguely wondered about for a long time. When you go out to eat with your spouse or significant other, and you get seated at a 4-person table or booth, do you generally sit across from each other or next to each other?

Personally, I have never understood sitting next to each other, because it makes conversing while eating kind of difficult. When I eat out with my husband, we always sit across from each other, but I see probably just as many couples who choose to sit next to each other at 4-person tables. I can see some pros to such an arrangement, but mostly I just think it would make for sort of awkward dinner conversation. Is there something I'm missing?

I prefer sitting across from my DH.  Otherwise I have no idea what he is saying as I have trouble hearing anyone talk in most restaurants. The only time I might sit next to him is at those weird 4 tops that are small and every chair gets its own side of the table (Outback has a few like that ).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9292 on: May 25, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »
seated at four-tops with two per side? we sit opposite each other.
at four-tops with one per side? kitty corner to each other.
I prefer to sit across from DH so that we can converse, also because he tends to talk with his hands and if he sits *next* to someone he will often (without meaning to) knock something flying.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9293 on: May 25, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

Thanks, MM. It is sealed correctly, so I'll go ahead and test it out when I'm done running errands. :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Betelnut

« Reply #9294 on: May 25, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »
When I got out with my daughter, I prefer across but she likes to sit next to me.  Easier to snuggle or hug that way.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9295 on: May 26, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »

For many, many years now, I've been dyeing my hair to cover up the grey. While I've don't have a super amount of grey, it's nearly all in the front of my head and it's quite noticeable. This morning I was looking to see if I needed to touch it up or if I thought it could wait another week (it's been 4-6 weeks since the last time I did it) .  To my astonishment, most of my grey hair is gone.  There were a few stands, but I seriously had to hunt for them.

That's weird, right? I've never heard of grey hair that suddenly stopped being grey. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of someone else that has?

The only thing I can attribute this strangeness to is the medically necessary gluten-free diet I was put on several months ago. The first few weeks I felt horrible, but by week four I was feeling better than I had in years. Also, my weak, brittle, nails are a thing of the past. My skin has also improved... The dry patches are no longer dry and the oily patches are no longer so oily.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9296 on: May 26, 2014, 10:04:54 AM »

For many, many years now, I've been dyeing my hair to cover up the grey. While I've don't have a super amount of grey, it's nearly all in the front of my head and it's quite noticeable. This morning I was looking to see if I needed to touch it up or if I thought it could wait another week (it's been 4-6 weeks since the last time I did it) .  To my astonishment, most of my grey hair is gone.  There were a few stands, but I seriously had to hunt for them.

That's weird, right? I've never heard of grey hair that suddenly stopped being grey. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of someone else that has?

The only thing I can attribute this strangeness to is the medically necessary gluten-free diet I was put on several months ago. The first few weeks I felt horrible, but by week four I was feeling better than I had in years. Also, my weak, brittle, nails are a thing of the past. My skin has also improved... The dry patches are no longer dry and the oily patches are no longer so oily.

I think you've found the culprit. The diet change can and will effect your hair. Hai and nails are made of the same stuff (that's just a quick explanation), so it would follow that healthier nails also means healthier hair.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9297 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »

I think you've found the culprit. The diet change can and will effect your hair. Hai and nails are made of the same stuff (that's just a quick explanation), so it would follow that healthier nails also means healthier hair.

I agree that it's probably the diet change - if your nails are better your hair is almost guaranteed to be improving too! Of course the already-grown grey hairs won't have changed colour, but I'd guess that a bunch of your follicles that were growing them have gone "Welp, time for some rejuvenation!" and the hairs themselves have fallen out while a new hair gets ready to grow.

...that is an utterly terrible attempt at explaining what I mean, but I am currently hormonal and queasy and my brain won't come up with anything better. :-[
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9298 on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »

It depends on a few things, mostly how big the table is. At a food court, DH and I like to sit side by side with our own table. In a booth at a restaurant we sit opposite each other if it's just us as it's more private. The best arrangement I think is when we can sit on perpendicular sides of the table, next to each other but at an angle. This was his we sat at my favourite restaurant for my birthday which was basically all couples.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9299 on: May 26, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
DH and I will sit on the same side if it is a booth and table and at a restaurant where the meal will last an hour or longer. We like to hold hands.