Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1037511 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9300 on: May 26, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »
DH and I will sit on the same side if it is a booth and table and at a restaurant where the meal will last an hour or longer. We like to hold hands.

We also like to hold hands, but we always do it across the table. If it's just is, always across the table from one another. Today was the first time in over a year that we have sat on the same side of a table when it was just us and Six. Usually, we sit across from each other and she sits with one of us.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9301 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
I forgot about four-tops that are squares...my husband and I will sometimes sit on adjacent sides of tables like that, if it's an average-to-large size table. It's kind of a balance between having enough room for our food and being close enough together to be able to hear what the other is saying.

But what I was thinking of when I asked about how couples sit at tables large enough for four were the rectangular variety, with two seats on each side.

I don't know if our restaurant habits are particularly common, but we tend to spend at least 50% of our time in the restaurant actively engaged in eating. This is partly because I have been eating increasingly slowly (largely because of braces, though I was trying to remember to slow down when eating before that), but also because we tend not to linger once we've paid our bill. I don't think we'd be able to talk to each other very effectively while eating if we were sitting next to each other. We sit across from each other at our rectangular table at home, too, because we spend 100% of our time at that table actively eating our meals. :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9302 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
We sit opposite each other because I'm left-handed and Mr. Thipu is right-handed.  At home we sit across from each other so it's just natural for us to do so when we dine out. 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9303 on: May 27, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
DH and I recently moved into a house built in 1961 from a brand new house.  We've noticed the kitchen sink stains very easily and frequently.  We never had an issue like that in our other home.  I have no idea if the sink is from 1961 or not.  It is in good shape, no nicks or anything.  I've looked just a little online to see if there is some product we could use on the sink so it wouldn't stain so much.  I found a Rust-Oleum product for glazing a tub or tile.  Is that something we could use?  Has anyone used something else with good results?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:47:26 AM by ScubaGirl »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9304 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
We sit opposite each other because I'm left-handed and Mr. Thipu is right-handed.  At home we sit across from each other so it's just natural for us to do so when we dine out.

We are the opposite! I always have to think of which side to sit on when we are with DS, as both the men are left handed and I am right.

daen

« Reply #9305 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

We are the opposite! I always have to think of which side to sit on when we are with DS, as both the men are left handed and I am right.

When my husband was growing up, he was sure he was going to meet and marry a left-handed woman, so he practiced left-handed eating skills. That way, when he and his love ate together, they wouldn't have to worry about seating arrangements or mis-timed elbows.

Turns out I'm right-handed.  ;)  Oh well.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9306 on: May 29, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »

When my husband was growing up, he was sure he was going to meet and marry a left-handed woman, so he practiced left-handed eating skills. That way, when he and his love ate together, they wouldn't have to worry about seating arrangements or mis-timed elbows.

Turns out I'm right-handed.  ;)  Oh well.
It never hurts to be able to eat with either hand, just in case you wind up in a cast some day...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9307 on: May 29, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

I don't think you even need to seal the faceplate--you probably didn't remove it. You just pulled up on the plug part and it came right out, didn't it? And the silver collar is still in position.  It'll work just fine.

You can even  put the plug back in if you want. I do this all the time.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9308 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
DH and I recently moved into a house built in 1961 from a brand new house.  We've noticed the kitchen sink stains very easily and frequently.  We never had an issue like that in our other home.  I have no idea if the sink is from 1961 or not.  It is in good shape, no nicks or anything.  I've looked just a little online to see if there is some product we could use on the sink so it wouldn't stain so much.  I found a Rust-Oleum product for glazing a tub or tile.  Is that something we could use?  Has anyone used something else with good results?

I'm not sure that would work that well for sinks, which get a lot more banging around.
   But there are lots of links if you google "refinish a porcelain kitchen sink."

Is your sink porcelain?

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9309 on: May 29, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »

I'm not sure that would work that well for sinks, which get a lot more banging around.
   But there are lots of links if you google "refinish a porcelain kitchen sink."

Is your sink porcelain?

I really don't know.  It is white and not stainless steel.  Is that the difference?  (I'm embarrassed by my ignorance.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:44:20 PM by ScubaGirl »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9310 on: May 29, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
This really is a stupid question, but honestly, I need to ask it or it's going to worry at me all night.

My bathtub is the sort that has a stopper operated by a drain lever; you flip the lever and it seals the drain with a hollow plunger. I don't use that (I prefer a rubber plug) and so I took it out and replaced it with a plain faceplate today. My question is this: the tub will still operate just fine without that in place, right? I'm about 99% sure it will, but the worrywart portion of my brain is convinced that I've either permanently blocked the tub drain, or I've left some hole somewhere that will cause all the water to drain into the wall. :-[

You should be just fine as long as you sealed the plain faceplate correctly.

I don't think you even need to seal the faceplate--you probably didn't remove it. You just pulled up on the plug part and it came right out, didn't it? And the silver collar is still in position.  It'll work just fine.

You can even  put the plug back in if you want. I do this all the time.

Yes, it works; my brain was just being ornery. :)

By faceplate, I mean the plate with the lever that you flick to open or close the drain - took that completely out, lever, plug assembly and all, and put a plain faceplate on. I didn't mess with anything in the drain proper. I would like to know why the heck the drain lever stopped working completely though, because nothing was disconnected from it. ??? I guess I just knocked the plug bit out of alignment trying to snake the drain ages ago...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9311 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
I just left that little lever plate on there. I only pull the plug mechanism out; it's not connected to anything, it's bottom part just slides into a hole in the lever mechanism, so it pulls right out.

I find that when I want to put the plug back in, I have to flip the lever around a little so that the hole lines up properly. Of course I can't *see* that hole, so I just flip the lever one way and try it, and then flip it the other way and try it.

Maybe yours was designed differently than mine. Or maybe something rusted out.

This is how mine is made:
http://0.tqn.com/d/np/home-fix-it/9781593370466_ocr_0275_001.jpg

http://www.netplaces.com/home-fix-it/practical-plumbing/drain-stoppers-and-strainers.htm

But there are different designs:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,20205070,00.html

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9312 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
Ours were definitely designed differently - I couldn't get the mechanism out any other way, so I had to remove the entire thing. I actually think it looks better this way, and I was constantly banging into the lever anyway, so I don't mind having it gone. :)

Those links look interesting, I'll definitely take a look! I love seeing how this stuff is made.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9313 on: May 29, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
I love seeing how this stuff is made.

me too!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9314 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »
I have a good friend who moved away and now we mainly communicate via social media, occasionally texts and calls. Today, she posted a picture of a new tattoo.

All I can tell is that it is blue, of an amorphous shape, and appears to have black swirly shapes all through it. It could be an amoeba, a heart, kissing whales or something else. It either has a line or a mustache below it.

Is it ever acceptable to ask someone what their tattoo is?