News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 01:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2293265 times)

Betelnut

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9315 on: June 07, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »
The original post about teens and sleeping didn't say that the kids couldn't wake up--just that the parents DO wake them up every morning.  That is, the teens don't have their own alarm clocks (I guess) and depend on the parents to wake them.  This would be the equivalent of a teenager depending on Mom or Dad to pack his/her lunch.

I think by high school at the very least a kid should be getting him/herself up--probably earlier.  I think I got my first clock radio for Christmas around 10 or so.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Psychopoesie

« Reply #9316 on: June 07, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
The original post about teens and sleeping didn't say that the kids couldn't wake up--just that the parents DO wake them up every morning.  That is, the teens don't have their own alarm clocks (I guess) and depend on the parents to wake them.  This would be the equivalent of a teenager depending on Mom or Dad to pack his/her lunch.

I think by high school at the very least a kid should be getting him/herself up--probably earlier.  I think I got my first clock radio for Christmas around 10 or so.

The original post doesn't seem to say the kids don't have alarm clocks, just that their parents "*have to* get their kids up every morning" (emphasis mine). Could be the way their family works or that the kids are sleeping through alarms they have.

Btw, I am now in my 40s, and if I stay at my mother's house, she'll still knock on the door to wake me up. Even knowing I have an alarm and a preferred wake up time. Drives me completely nuts. So that's another option - parents who have control issues.  :)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9317 on: June 07, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
I think its family dynamic. 

The trick for sound sleepers is to put a very loud alarm clock on the far side of the room.  You have to get out of bed to make the durn thing shut up. 

This only works if the person in question does not sleepwalk. ;D

(A roommate in college was complaining that her alarm clock broke. We laughed at that and told her we heard it every morning - and we also heard her get up and turn it off!)

I've never sleepwalked but I have done that. I used to set up my radio alarm across the other side of the room because I found it really hard to wake up. Sometimes I'd still sleep through the alarm. Only thing I can work out (since the alarm was off) is that maybe I was momentarily awake for long enough to turn it off but not much more. So it's like my brain turned on just enough lights to get that done and no more.

I have also been able to have discussions with the person trying to wake me up which have been convincing enough for them to assume I've been awake - when I really wasn't. No recollection of any conversation.

Usually it's not a problem now (more common when I was in my teens/early 20s).  I've even been able to use my phone alarm beside my bed to wake me. However, if I'm really exhausted and/or stressed, it can still happen. Plus, if I have to make a flight or something else like that, I use multiple alarms.
Many, many decades ago, when DH was in Basic Training (USAF) he was told that this was such a well-known phenomenon that anything you did or said within the first 10 minutes after awakening wouldn't count, if you had done anything that would otherwise be a disciplinary action. 

This was good, because one morning he was carrying on the same kind of 'conversation' with his roommate, only to fall back into bed when the roommate left.  When someone entered the room later, that woke him enough that he grabbed his service knife in such a way that the sheath flew off in the general direction of the intruders.  It was the drill sergeant and the lieutenant, conducting room inspections.  Normally throwing something at one's superiors is Not A Good Thing.  No disciplinary actions resulted. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9318 on: June 07, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
I used to scream at my parents in my sleep when they would try to wake me up. I would have no memory of this, but they would be (justifiably) angry with me when I finally did emerge to get myself to school (usually late). I really hope my kids don't get my weird sleep issues. I don't think that I should have to be responsible for them getting out of bed on time once they reach a certain age, but there aren't a lot of viable solutions. I think part of the reason cell phone alarms work for me now is that I've become a little bit lighter of a sleeper since my teens.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9319 on: June 07, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
My parents got both sis and I an alarm clock when each started kinder and had to be up at a certain time to get to school. (We went to Pre-school but it started at like 9 am)

In part they did this because waking a member of my family means chancing a black eye or bloody nose. If you wake us during the deep stage of sleep we come up swinging and jumping across the room.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9320 on: June 07, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »
How does one clean and repair a tie?

I've tried looking it up on the web and find a lot of conflicting information - club soda, no don't use club soda - wash on delicate, no don't use water - that type of thing.  I have some ties I was given that are cool enough that I want to clean and repair them, but I'm afraid to try anything because of the conflicting info

marcel

« Reply #9321 on: June 07, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
there are always these alarm clocks   ;D http://www.boredpanda.com/20-annoyingly-creative-alarm-clocks/
They are all useless for a sound sleeper, these are onlyu usefull for notorious snoozers
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9322 on: June 07, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »

I've tried looking it up on the web and find a lot of conflicting information - club soda, no don't use club soda - wash on delicate, no don't use water - that type of thing.  I have some ties I was given that are cool enough that I want to clean and repair them, but I'm afraid to try anything because of the conflicting info

I'd probably start at the dry cleaners ...

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9323 on: June 07, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »

You need to remove the back seam before hand washing a tie, letting it dry, press it, refold and sew, then use the iron again to confirm the folds. It is a lot of work so, if possible, try to spot clean. What kind of stain is it and how long has it sat?

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #9324 on: June 07, 2014, 11:38:35 PM »
Question on batiking.   I've done dyeing and batik both, so I know how the general process works:  wax over parts that you want to stay a certain color and dye another/darker color.  For instance, this one:

The fabric has been dyed light green, batiked with the leaf pattern, then dyed dark green.

But how does one like this one work, a dark pattern on a light ground?

Was it dyed black first, batiked, bleached, and dyed again?
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9325 on: June 08, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »

You need to remove the back seam before hand washing a tie, letting it dry, press it, refold and sew, then use the iron again to confirm the folds. It is a lot of work so, if possible, try to spot clean. What kind of stain is it and how long has it sat?

I don't know and probably a good 25 years or so. 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9326 on: June 08, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
Question on batiking.   I've done dyeing and batik both, so I know how the general process works:  wax over parts that you want to stay a certain color and dye another/darker color.  For instance, this one:

The fabric has been dyed light green, batiked with the leaf pattern, then dyed dark green.

But how does one like this one work, a dark pattern on a light ground?

Was it dyed black first, batiked, bleached, and dyed again?

Not sure exactly how this one was done, since I don't batik, but if I wanted to recreate it I'd tye/spot dye the orange swirls, put on some kind of a block for the wax (paper or rubber cement?) on the black parts, slather the thing in wax, take off the blocking agent, and then dye the black bits.

Or if you have good co-ordination you can just place the pattern for the black parts down and wax around them. I'm a little clumsy so I'd want the extra steps.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Louie_LI

« Reply #9327 on: June 08, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »

I don't know and probably a good 25 years or so.

Here there is a product called eau écarlate which is a liquid all-purpose stain remover. To freshen ties, I roll the tie up, put it in a covered jar with some room to spare, fill with the stain remover and shake. The stain remover is not water based and dries quickly so I just hang the ties to drip dry.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9328 on: June 08, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
When did clothing rental (other than tuxedos) become a popular thing? I just got an ad for a clothing subscription service. I know there are purse rental businesses as well. This just seems like a bad idea to me.

I use rent the runway for special occasions. It's a way to get designer clothes without having to pay full price.  I've been very happy with the dresses I've rented from them. 

shortstuff

« Reply #9329 on: June 08, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
OK, so I have a stupid question to ask..

How sick / under the weather does one have to be to call out sick from work? 

The reason I have no clue about this is because I was retail management for a few years, and there was no calling out sick, period, because there needed to be someone with keys at the store at all times, and the other managers couldn't cover because then corporate would have to approve overtime (the horror!). 

Now I'm in an office job doing claims coding, with little direct oversight, and I get 5 use 'em-or-lose-'em sick days a year.  So far I've worked through mostly everything except the occasional stomach virus.  I got a very contagious the flu this past year, and took 2 days, but felt super guilty for it.  Compounding this is the fact I have no backup, so I can work from while sick or be very behind when I do come back. 

Currently, allergies have kicked my rear, and despite medicine I'm miserable.  I'm torn about taking off, because even though I'm not 100% at work, I'm not contagious, and can still function.  I'm just not used to ever being allowed to call out.  What does everyone else go by?