Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1030765 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9315 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »
Could you ask for a clearer image, so you can see the awesomeness? Or is it simply a case of a bad tattoo?

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #9316 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
For the sink refinisher:

If it's that old, it's probably porceline.  That means that is a glazed finish that is baked on rather than just painted. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9317 on: May 30, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
For the sink refinisher:

If it's that old, it's probably porceline.  That means that is a glazed finish that is baked on rather than just painted.

And if it is staining or discoloring easily, then the original glaze has been scrubbed off.

You could try refinishing. Or just bleach it every evening, which is what my mother did. Or save up and replace the sink, which I think would be the long-term solution.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9318 on: May 30, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
My kitchen sink right now is enamel over what I think is cast iron (it's some sort of black metal, anyway.) It stains and scratches so easily - I'm replacing it with a stainless steel one as soon as I get the base cabinet.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9319 on: May 30, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Re the kitchen sink.  I don't have a tip for removing the stains, but I wanted to warn about using a rust removal product on metal surfaces, like stainless steel.  It may erode the metal finish.  Lesson learned the hard way. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

wheeitsme

« Reply #9320 on: May 30, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »
For the sink refinisher:

And if it is staining or discoloring easily, then the original glaze has been scrubbed off.

You could try refinishing. Or just bleach it every evening, which is what my mother did. Or save up and replace the sink, which I think would be the long-term solution.

Growing up, we just filled the sink with bleach an water and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.  Usually just every couple weeks.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9321 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
The tattoo is half of a butterfly.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9322 on: May 31, 2014, 03:25:38 AM »

But....why

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9323 on: May 31, 2014, 08:31:18 AM »

Might it be a not very well done sideways view of a butterfly? Similar to this:

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9324 on: May 31, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »
It matches the other half that is on her friends' foot.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9325 on: June 01, 2014, 12:09:59 AM »
Here is my stupid question:

I just found out that Pill Bugs are a type of crustacean.  So, are people that are allergic to shellfish also allergic to pill bugs?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9326 on: June 01, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »

I just found out that Pill Bugs are a type of crustacean.  So, are people that are allergic to shellfish also allergic to pill bugs?

I'm concerned about why you care. The only time I get in contact with them is with a broom or gardening gloves.  :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9327 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »

Well, one would probably have to eat some in order to find out.  ;) I suppose if someone is extremely allergic to shellfish, they might have a reaction just from contact /exposure, but I've never heard of anyone who has.

On the other hand,  I know many people who are allergic to cockroaches and /or shellfish that are terribly allergic to cochineal (natural Red food dyes).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:53:34 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9328 on: June 01, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »

Well, one would probably have to eat some in order to find out.  ;) I suppose if someone is extremely allergic to shellfish, they might have a reaction just from contact /exposure, but I've never heard of anyone who has.

On the other hand,  I know many people who are allergic to cockroaches and /or shellfish that are terribly allergic to cochineal (natural Red food dyes).

Weeeeelllllll, given what cochineal is made from...  :-X
"Set aphasia to stun!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #9329 on: June 01, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »

Thanks.  I have fairly mild allergies/sensitivities and didn't know if someone allergic to shellfish can get a reaction just from touching a lobster.  I wondered because if you are traipsing through the woods you usually aren't thinking about running into a crustacean and that might be a problem.