News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 18, 2017, 04:01:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2283873 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9330 on: June 08, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
The original post about teens and sleeping didn't say that the kids couldn't wake up--just that the parents DO wake them up every morning.  That is, the teens don't have their own alarm clocks (I guess) and depend on the parents to wake them.  This would be the equivalent of a teenager depending on Mom or Dad to pack his/her lunch.

I think by high school at the very least a kid should be getting him/herself up--probably earlier.  I think I got my first clock radio for Christmas around 10 or so.

The original post doesn't seem to say the kids don't have alarm clocks, just that their parents "*have to* get their kids up every morning" (emphasis mine). Could be the way their family works or that the kids are sleeping through alarms they have.

Btw, I am now in my 40s, and if I stay at my mother's house, she'll still knock on the door to wake me up. Even knowing I have an alarm and a preferred wake up time. Drives me completely nuts. So that's another option - parents who have control issues:)

I think this is the case. I appreciate the feedback. It seemed extreme to me, and I have now heard this from a few fellow moms. I used to have a very hard time waking up and have realized it was from some brain chemistry issues (self-resolved over time) and a period of needing more sleep than I was getting. I have no trouble now.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9331 on: June 08, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
OK, so I have a stupid question to ask..

How sick / under the weather does one have to be to call out sick from work? 

The reason I have no clue about this is because I was retail management for a few years, and there was no calling out sick, period, because there needed to be someone with keys at the store at all times, and the other managers couldn't cover because then corporate would have to approve overtime (the horror!). 

Now I'm in an office job doing claims coding, with little direct oversight, and I get 5 use 'em-or-lose-'em sick days a year.  So far I've worked through mostly everything except the occasional stomach virus.  I got a very contagious the flu this past year, and took 2 days, but felt super guilty for it.  Compounding this is the fact I have no backup, so I can work from while sick or be very behind when I do come back. 

Currently, allergies have kicked my rear, and despite medicine I'm miserable.  I'm torn about taking off, because even though I'm not 100% at work, I'm not contagious, and can still function.  I'm just not used to ever being allowed to call out.  What does everyone else go by?

My general rule is, if you are
1) contagious (be nice to your co-workers!)
2) spewing bodily fluids or something else equally gross
3) spending more time blowing your nose than working

you should probably stay home. Even allergies count sometimes!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9332 on: June 08, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
I would add: if you can reasonably spare the time (no important meeting scheduled, no big deadline looming, etc) and getting a day's rest will help you get better quickly.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9333 on: June 08, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
Adding that if you can't focus on work because you feel too bad, then it is a good day to call off sick.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #9334 on: June 08, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
It sounds as though there is no such thing as a good time for you to be out; that means there's no such thing as a particularly bad time for you to be out.

You have five use-them-or-lose-them sick days a year. That means that if you drag yourself to work while you're sick, instead of calling out, you are not only making yourself miserable, you aren't even being paid for it. (At the end of the year, whether you work n days while healthy and stay home for three days while you're sick, or work all n+3 days, your salary is the same.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9335 on: June 08, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
When did clothing rental (other than tuxedos) become a popular thing? I just got an ad for a clothing subscription service. I know there are purse rental businesses as well. This just seems like a bad idea to me.

I've been seeing ads, and I think it could be a good thing. You can try out the clothes for a bit, and if you like them, you can buy them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9336 on: June 08, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

The reason I have no clue about this is because I was retail management for a few years, and there was no calling out sick, period, because there needed to be someone with keys at the store at all times, and the other managers couldn't cover because then corporate would have to approve overtime (the horror!). 

Now I'm in an office job doing claims coding, with little direct oversight, and I get 5 use 'em-or-lose-'em sick days a year.  So far I've worked through mostly everything except the occasional stomach virus.  I got a very contagious the flu this past year, and took 2 days, but felt super guilty for it.  Compounding this is the fact I have no backup, so I can work from while sick or be very behind when I do come back. 

Currently, allergies have kicked my rear, and despite medicine I'm miserable.  I'm torn about taking off, because even though I'm not 100% at work, I'm not contagious, and can still function.  I'm just not used to ever being allowed to call out.  What does everyone else go by?

If it's contagious, PLEASE CALL OUT.

If it's allergies, just how useful are you? There are times where I am totally useless, either the allergies are kicking my posterior or the meds are. If you can work from home, and your sniffling and sneezing are likely to drive your officemates batty, I suggest doing that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9337 on: June 08, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »

I would take a day, usually a Friday under those situations. Because I know from personal history those conditions mean if I don't take a day and most of the weekend to eat right, stay out of the allergens, and sleep I'm going to get bronchitis/sinus infection and be wiped out for a week. I would use the Friday to see the doc and sometimes he will prescribe some high powered steroid based allergy meds that will break the cycle I've gotten into. Thing is they are immune suppressive (since allergies are over active immune response) and I work in a petri dish  elementary school.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dindrane

« Reply #9338 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
I think that it is appropriate to call in sick when you're contagious, too sick to function at least close go your normal level, afflicted with something that would be unpleasant for those around you (like constant major sniffles from allergies), and/or staying home would make you recover faster.

So, mild allergies wouldn't make me stay home, but severe ones would. I'm suffering from some right now that have made my morning not very pleasant, but the antihistamine I took seems to have taken care of the worst of it. So I won't be staying home, although I might take a long lunch to replenish my supply...I'm down to just one more pill, and I think I've been battling this at a lower level for several days now.

I'm in the same position with work that you are, in that if I'm not there, my stuff just doesn't get done. But I also get to hang onto my sick leave indefinitely, so I don't have quite the use-it-or-lose-it motivation that you do.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #9339 on: June 09, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
When did clothing rental (other than tuxedos) become a popular thing? I just got an ad for a clothing subscription service. I know there are purse rental businesses as well. This just seems like a bad idea to me.

I've been seeing ads, and I think it could be a good thing. You can try out the clothes for a bit, and if you like them, you can buy them.

I can see that being useful if you go to very occasional fancy parties (say, you're invited to a wedding about every other year); are in a context where you don't want to keep wearing the same outfit to fancy events; or if your weight fluctuates significantly. But for that I would want someplace where I could walk in and ask to rent a dress for (say) an afternoon wedding, that fit certain criteria, and that I don't then stick in my closet and wonder if I'll use it again. I have a very pretty and completely impractical sheath dress I bought on a whim for a friend's wedding; I'm not sorry I did, but I sometimes wonder why I'm still hanging onto it, a dozen years later.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9340 on: June 09, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

I can see that being useful if you go to very occasional fancy parties (say, you're invited to a wedding about every other year); are in a context where you don't want to keep wearing the same outfit to fancy events; or if your weight fluctuates significantly. But for that I would want someplace where I could walk in and ask to rent a dress for (say) an afternoon wedding, that fit certain criteria, and that I don't then stick in my closet and wonder if I'll use it again. I have a very pretty and completely impractical sheath dress I bought on a whim for a friend's wedding; I'm not sorry I did, but I sometimes wonder why I'm still hanging onto it, a dozen years later.

If it's a company like Rent the Runway, you can keep it for up to a week, but then you have to send it back.  The cost of cleaning is included in the price

Amara

« Reply #9341 on: June 09, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
I have a question of our computer tech people here if they are willing to help. (And from the freebie craft thread, I know it's work for you so don't feel you have to chime in.)

I have a new(er) MacBook Pro from 2007 that I just bought. I realize viruses are primarily directed to PCs, but do you think I need a virus protection system? If so, what do you recommend?

demarco

« Reply #9342 on: June 09, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
I have a question of our computer tech people here if they are willing to help. (And from the freebie craft thread, I know it's work for you so don't feel you have to chime in.)

I have a new(er) MacBook Pro from 2007 that I just bought. I realize viruses are primarily directed to PCs, but do you think I need a virus protection system? If so, what do you recommend?

I am so glad you asked this! It seems like a simple question but I've never found a reliable answer.  I've searched this topic on  Apple related  forums and there  so much contradictory information (and unnecessary snark, I might add) that I remain bewildered.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9343 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
I have a Mac Book Pro from 2011.  I don't have any virus protection installed.  I haven't had any issues with trojans or viruses on my computer. 

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9344 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
I have a Mac Book Pro from 2011.  I don't have any virus protection installed.  I haven't had any issues with trojans or viruses on my computer.

I'm the same, right down to the year of the computer, I think.  But I don't do a lot of surfing and the sites I'm on are ones I know are sage.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario