Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1037017 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9330 on: June 01, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Here is my stupid question:

I just found out that Pill Bugs are a type of crustacean.  So, are people that are allergic to shellfish also allergic to pill bugs?

Well, one would probably have to eat some in order to find out.  ;) I suppose if someone is extremely allergic to shellfish, they might have a reaction just from contact /exposure, but I've never heard of anyone who has.

On the other hand,  I know many people who are allergic to cockroaches and /or shellfish that are terribly allergic to cochineal (natural Red food dyes).

Thanks.  I have fairly mild allergies/sensitivities and didn't know if someone allergic to shellfish can get a reaction just from touching a lobster.  I wondered because if you are traipsing through the woods you usually aren't thinking about running into a crustacean and that might be a problem.

Now that I think about it, really:

We had Asian ladybugs in swarms a few years ago, so I would use a vacuum cleaner with a wand to sweep them off the walls and ceiling of the enclosed porch. One family member is allergic to shellfish and had a reaction while I was vacuuming from the pieces that got through the filter. It wasn't severe enough to cause a major problem because he got out of there immediately and didn't return until the dust settled. So, I guess, the thing would be not to touch them or vacuum them.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9331 on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
Thank you for the responses regarding our sink.  I don't know what we'll do.  Right now it isn't a high priority (painting and replacing the flooring are next).  I suspect we'll just replace it in the future.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9332 on: June 02, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
In many theatrical programs, certain actors are listed as "Swing."  What does that mean?  I notice that they are all actors playing bit parts or part of the chorus/ensemble.   It doesn't appear to mean 'understudy' because those actors are specifically named.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #9333 on: June 02, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
A swing is like an understudy's understudy.  So if the understudy steps into the leading role, the swing steps into the understudy's role.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9334 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
Yesterday, I went to the grocery store. I carried my umbrella and purse in, found a cart, and pulled off to the side and out of the way since there were people coming in and leaving as well.  A woman pushing her toddler in a full shopping cart leaving the store, pulled inches in front of where I was, and huffed until she finally pulled around me. Then she grimaced and audibly sighed as she huffed past me.

What I want to know is:
*What could I have done differently? I was letting people go in and out, there was enough space to get three regular carts through and I was just putting my umbrella and purse in the cart, which took 5-10 seconds.

I think the shopper was frustrated that there were slower people in front of her, unless she pulled where I was, facing the other way. Yes, the other shopper was on a scooter with someone with a cart carrying their items out. They were slow, but you would have gotten out faster if you had just stayed behind them.

One of those "excuse me for living" things I suppose.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9335 on: June 03, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »
A swing is like an understudy's understudy.  So if the understudy steps into the leading role, the swing steps into the understudy's role.
Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!
into books first.

CakeEater

« Reply #9336 on: June 03, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »
How do I get posts from business pages that I've liked on FB to show in my newsfeed? I don't want to get notifications from them, though. Is that even possible?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9337 on: June 03, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
How do I get posts from business pages that I've liked on FB to show in my newsfeed? I don't want to get notifications from them, though. Is that even possible?

They pay Facebook.  Seriously, it's a really broken system right now - any post they put up is only shown to ~3% of their followers, unless they pay extra.  If those followers like/reply to it, then it gets shown to more.  The end result is a lot of people don't see the posts they specifically signed up to get, even when they want to.

CakeEater

« Reply #9338 on: June 04, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »

They pay Facebook.  Seriously, it's a really broken system right now - any post they put up is only shown to ~3% of their followers, unless they pay extra.  If those followers like/reply to it, then it gets shown to more.  The end result is a lot of people don't see the posts they specifically signed up to get, even when they want to.

I thought that was the case. I do get a few - the ones where I have clicked on their links to take me to their blog/website seem to appear more often. Maybe I should go to all my liked pages and randomly like a bunch of their posts and see if those appear.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9339 on: June 04, 2014, 12:06:23 AM »

I think CakeEater is asking how to see posts that won't show up? (If not, I'm sorry I misinterpreted!)

It used to be there was an option in the same menu as where you'd "like" the page - but it doesn't appear to be there any more. And unfortunately, you would have to get notifications if you wanted them to appear in the newsfeed. But, do they show up on the "Pages Feed" section and not the main newsfeed? If so, you can follow them there by liking the page and not have to be notified. (At least, in my experience. I'm following several pages I never get notified for and can only see there!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:15:44 AM by Liliane »
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9340 on: June 04, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
You have to click "follow" on the businesses page, and even then not all posts will show. I'm a social media contact for work, and facebook is driving us all crazy.

CakeEater

« Reply #9341 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »
FB update - I went and 'liked' a bunch of posts on a couple of the pages, and new posts from those pages have appeared in my newsfeed this morning. So FB must let you see things if you actively interact with the page in some way.

Elisabunny

« Reply #9342 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
A friend and I were wondering, how do you switch orthodontists?

It's not the same as breaking up with other medical-type providers, because often a good chunk of the price is paid in advance.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9343 on: June 05, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »
I actually had to find out the answer to that question (at least sort of), because I just got braces and there's at least a small chance we may move before I'm done.

Basically, if you've paid for the braces in advance, you settle up with the one you're leaving, and they give you a refund. If you're paying on a monthly schedule (which most of them seem to offer), they settle up and tell you how much you owe or give you a refund. Both of those are based on how much of the service they deem you have already received.

My orthodontist also told me that if I move out of the area, they would be able to help me find a new orthodontist, who uses the same system they do. There are different kinds of brackets, and the last thing you want is to have them removed and new ones put on mid-treatment.

But if you go to a new orthodontist halfway through treatment, you end up having to pay for some things twice. There are costs associated with taking on a new patient and evaluating their treatment plan, and those wouldn't be refunded from the first orthodontist but you'd have to pay them to the new one as well.

So, the short answer to all of that is...you really don't want to switch orthodontists unless you really have to.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9344 on: June 06, 2014, 12:40:13 AM »
You also may wind up with braces on your teeth a lot longer than you expected to.  DH moved twice as a teen; every new orthodontist didn't like the way the previous one had done things and started over from the beginning.  His braces were on for 6 years instead of the expected 3.
into books first.