News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 04:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2565686 times)

jpcher

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9390 on: June 14, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
Go to the top level of the forums (http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php)  Scroll to the bottom of the page -- click on [More Stats]

Ah! There it is! It's kinda hidden, isn't it?

Thank you! ;D

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9391 on: June 14, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »
Oh..you meant where is the link  :)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9392 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
With the Apple TV question - in your Apple account settings (in iTunes, I think) you can make it so that SD instead of HD is preferred for your downloads, that should make things a bit quicker.
But also with Apple TV, remember that the unit itself doesn't have much physical memory on board - it's designed for streaming. So if you want to watch a movie, it's best to start the stream, go make your popcorn and everything else (take about 20 minutes or so and get yourself settled) then start the movie.
Oddly enough with our Apple TV we've found that the download speed increases if we watch as it downloads - you don't need to download the whole movie to watch it, you can start to watch even if only the first few minutes have loaded.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9393 on: June 14, 2014, 11:32:34 PM »
[snip]Also, I was reading a book with a character named Cadwallader. Can anyone tell me how this is pronounced?

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=cadwallader&submit=Submit

To hear the pronunciation of a word, Google "pronounce: [word]", and you'll get links to audio pronunciations.
To get the definition of a word, Google "define: [word]".
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9394 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
Promise not to laugh?    :)

I've had long hair since forever.  It's thick and wavy and heavy and hot and I got sick of it, so last week I cut it off to right around chin length.  Normally I don't do anything except wash and brush it - I don't know the first thing about "product" - but the stylist put in mousse and hairspray and it ended up looking something like this but "wetter," if that makes sense?  Anyway, it looked great and at this length, just brushing it doesn't cut it.

So my stupid question: is it supposed to take a metric ton of mousse to get that effect, or am I using the wrong product, or am I just doing it wrong?  Seems like I put half a can in there this morning and the end result just looked like I brushed it while wet and let it dry - clumpy, but with flyaway bits and smooth bits that got no mousse at all.  The hairspray part I figured out  :P but I'm kinda hopeless with the rest of it . . .

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9395 on: June 23, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »

I've had long hair since forever.  It's thick and wavy and heavy and hot and I got sick of it, so last week I cut it off to right around chin length.  Normally I don't do anything except wash and brush it - I don't know the first thing about "product" - but the stylist put in mousse and hairspray and it ended up looking something like this but "wetter," if that makes sense?  Anyway, it looked great and at this length, just brushing it doesn't cut it.

So my stupid question: is it supposed to take a metric ton of mousse to get that effect, or am I using the wrong product, or am I just doing it wrong?  Seems like I put half a can in there this morning and the end result just looked like I brushed it while wet and let it dry - clumpy, but with flyaway bits and smooth bits that got no mousse at all.  The hairspray part I figured out  :P but I'm kinda hopeless with the rest of it . . .

The simplest thing to do is ask the stylist to show you what they used and how much.  The only other option is to "play" with it until you find something that works.  I suspect you used way too much product and that you hair was too wet when you put it in.

My hair is very similar to the hair in the picture.  I rarely use any kind of product, but when I do use Garnier curl sculpting cream-gel.  When my hair is damp, I rub about a dime size amount in my hands, flip my head over and start at the bottom, working my way up.  I only work it with my fingers, no brush at that point, and let it air dry.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:36:41 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

menley

« Reply #9396 on: June 23, 2014, 06:02:42 AM »

With mousse, a less-is-more approach is best. I find that if I use a little ball of mousse that's about the size of a quarter (well, if a quarter were a sphere instead of flat), it works perfectly, but much more than that and my hair gets crunchy and overly slick looking.

It also depends on the type - I've had drastically different results from "volume-building" mousse versus "curl-enhancing" mousse. If you're going for the curly look of the photo, make sure that your mousse is from a good brand that specifically says for curly hair on it.

I don't think I've ever typed mousse that much in my life. Now it looks strange.

Dindrane

« Reply #9397 on: June 23, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
The other thing that might be contributing to your issues styling your hair yourself is brushing. If you're going for a curly look like what is in the picture, you can (and probably should) detangle your hair in the shower with your fingers or a wide toothed comb, but be wary of brushing it once you get out. Curls need to kind of clump together to hold their definition, and brushing or combing when they are damp just separates them and often turns them into waves.

You might also try using an old t-shirt rather than a regular towel to sort of scrunch out the excess water from your hair after you shower. Terry cloth tends to make hair frizzier (whereas something made of knit jersey like a t-shirt is smoother and so doesn't grab the hair so much), and you probably don't need that.

This works for me with longer hair, using gel as my styling product, but I find it helps to get out of the shower with sopping wet hair, use a piece of knit cloth to squeeze out excess water, apply gel somewhat sparingly with a scrunching motion, and then "plop" my hair by flipping it over and letting it pile on top of the knit cloth (so it's held piled on top of my head) before I twist the ends of the cloth and tie them together. Even if I just leave that for 15 minutes, it helps set the curl pattern and gives me some volume at my roots. I used that method when I had shorter hair, too, so it might be worth a shot.

But I also agree with the advice to ask your stylist how she got your hair to look the way it did.

Amara

« Reply #9398 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, silverware and especially the glasses that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:51:40 PM by Amara »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9399 on: June 23, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, glasses and silverware that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?

Run a cup or two of white vinegar through it empty, on the longest, hottest setting there is. Use less dish detergent and add a rinse aid like Finish or oxiclean.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Amara

« Reply #9400 on: June 23, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
Thanks!

Twik

« Reply #9401 on: June 23, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
To start things off, could someone explain what "a rolling stone gathers no moss" actually means? I've heard it forever. But, what, exactly, does it mean?

People who move around a lot don't end up with a lot of money or possessions.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9402 on: June 23, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
To start things off, could someone explain what "a rolling stone gathers no moss" actually means? I've heard it forever. But, what, exactly, does it mean?

People who move around a lot don't end up with a lot of money or possessions.

That is one view of it. A more general interpretation is that something active (whether physically active, mentally, in their career, etc) doesn't get weighed down by unnecessary things.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9403 on: June 23, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, silverware and especially the glasses that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?

Do you use Jet-Dry or anything else like that?  It really makes a huge difference in reducing streaks and spots.

Amara

« Reply #9404 on: June 23, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
I use the dishwasher soap (dry) from Trader Joe's.