Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1090167 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9390 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »
There is no anti-virus software for phones and tablets. Just computers. 

On my PC running Windows 7, I have Spybot Search and Destroy.  I hate AVG with a passion because they are impossible to remove and have a ton of annoying popups if you are on their free software.  It's been 3 years since I got my Mac, and I still can't remove AVG from my laptop.

There is anti-virus software for Android phones and tablets.

Really?  what's it called?

Lookout is the one that came on my Android phone.

marcel

« Reply #9391 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »

On my PC running Windows 7, I have Spybot Search and Destroy.  I hate AVG with a passion because they are impossible to remove and have a ton of annoying popups if you are on their free software.  It's been 3 years since I got my Mac, and I still can't remove AVG from my laptop.

I use AVG and I love them :) (though I don't use it on my computer so maybe it is different there)

@Pastrygoddess. You probably use an Iphone or Ipad. Those do not have anti-virus software because you can not install anything on them without apple approval. On other devices you can install what you want, so off course there is anti-virus software available there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:04:49 AM by marcel »
Wherever you go..... There you are.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9392 on: June 10, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

I use AVG and I love them :) (though I don't use it on my computer so maybe it is different there)

@Pastrygoddess. You probably use an Iphone or Ipad. Those do not have anti-virus software because you can not install anything on them without apple approval. On other devices you can install what you want, so off course there is anti-virus software available there.

Yes I have apple products, but I also have a Nexus 7 which is Android. 

Don't use AVG on your computer.  You constantly have to restart in order to install upgrades.  There are pop ups constantly. If you have the free version, it asks you over and over to upgrade to the paid.  It's impossible to remove...just google it. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9393 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Don't use AVG on your computer.  You constantly have to restart in order to install upgrades.  There are pop ups constantly. If you have the free version, it asks you over and over to upgrade to the paid.  It's impossible to remove...just google it.

Maybe it's just the way I use the computer that I put AVG Free on but I don't really have any problems with it.  I do tend to shut it down after every use because I only use that particular machine sporadically so maybe that's why.  The Windows updates are MUCH more annoying than the AVG.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #9394 on: June 10, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

I've used AVG for years and I've never had any of those issues. I'm using it right now - I've never had a pop up or an upgrade request.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9395 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
I use Avast on my computers, Lookout on the phones and the built in malware features on my iPad.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9396 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
Iobit.com has mobile anti-virus (Malware Defender Mobile or something similar) for free and a more comprehensive paid version, too.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9397 on: June 10, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »

There are versions of Lookout available for iPad, but they don't do everything the Android version does.

I've had AVG free on my computer for years with no problems. Only occasional restarts for updates, and maybe a popup when I boot up. Sometimes. That's it. Never tried to remove it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

dawnfire

« Reply #9398 on: June 10, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »

i've been using AVG (the free version) for over 10 years and never encountered those problems the pop ups

kajunchick

« Reply #9399 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »
I have a couple of book questions. I have noticed in some old books (Grace Livingston Hill in particular) that you might see the name of a business shortened to W----'s instead of writing out the name. Why? Is that a common thing, or just this author?

Also, I was reading a book with a character named Cadwallader. Can anyone tell me how this is pronounced?
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9400 on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9401 on: June 11, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »
I have a couple of book questions. I have noticed in some old books (Grace Livingston Hill in particular) that you might see the name of a business shortened to W----'s instead of writing out the name. Why? Is that a common thing, or just this author?

Also, I was reading a book with a character named Cadwallader. Can anyone tell me how this is pronounced?

It's pronounced (I think) "Kad - wull - add - er."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9402 on: June 11, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »

It's also a holdover from the 1800s-era newspapers - the gossip columns would all be about how the Earl of W-- and the Duchess of A-- were seen talking together, or the Marquis K-- was believed to be courting the eldest daughter of the Earl S--.  Those who were "in the know" could figure out who they were talking about, but the common people (not the upper crust) wouldn't.

dawnfire

« Reply #9403 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:31 AM »
What is the difference between Manga and Anime?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9404 on: June 11, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »
What is the difference between Manga and Anime?

Manga are Japanese illustrated novelas, sort of what we would call "comic books", but aimed for adults. Anime are the Japanese movies, videos and TV shows that can be based on manga.