Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1011211 times)

menley

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9435 on: June 23, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
Promise not to laugh?    :)

I've had long hair since forever.  It's thick and wavy and heavy and hot and I got sick of it, so last week I cut it off to right around chin length.  Normally I don't do anything except wash and brush it - I don't know the first thing about "product" - but the stylist put in mousse and hairspray and it ended up looking something like this but "wetter," if that makes sense?  Anyway, it looked great and at this length, just brushing it doesn't cut it.

So my stupid question: is it supposed to take a metric ton of mousse to get that effect, or am I using the wrong product, or am I just doing it wrong?  Seems like I put half a can in there this morning and the end result just looked like I brushed it while wet and let it dry - clumpy, but with flyaway bits and smooth bits that got no mousse at all.  The hairspray part I figured out  :P but I'm kinda hopeless with the rest of it . . .

With mousse, a less-is-more approach is best. I find that if I use a little ball of mousse that's about the size of a quarter (well, if a quarter were a sphere instead of flat), it works perfectly, but much more than that and my hair gets crunchy and overly slick looking.

It also depends on the type - I've had drastically different results from "volume-building" mousse versus "curl-enhancing" mousse. If you're going for the curly look of the photo, make sure that your mousse is from a good brand that specifically says for curly hair on it.

I don't think I've ever typed mousse that much in my life. Now it looks strange.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9436 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:02 AM »
The other thing that might be contributing to your issues styling your hair yourself is brushing. If you're going for a curly look like what is in the picture, you can (and probably should) detangle your hair in the shower with your fingers or a wide toothed comb, but be wary of brushing it once you get out. Curls need to kind of clump together to hold their definition, and brushing or combing when they are damp just separates them and often turns them into waves.

You might also try using an old t-shirt rather than a regular towel to sort of scrunch out the excess water from your hair after you shower. Terry cloth tends to make hair frizzier (whereas something made of knit jersey like a t-shirt is smoother and so doesn't grab the hair so much), and you probably don't need that.

This works for me with longer hair, using gel as my styling product, but I find it helps to get out of the shower with sopping wet hair, use a piece of knit cloth to squeeze out excess water, apply gel somewhat sparingly with a scrunching motion, and then "plop" my hair by flipping it over and letting it pile on top of the knit cloth (so it's held piled on top of my head) before I twist the ends of the cloth and tie them together. Even if I just leave that for 15 minutes, it helps set the curl pattern and gives me some volume at my roots. I used that method when I had shorter hair, too, so it might be worth a shot.

But I also agree with the advice to ask your stylist how she got your hair to look the way it did.

Amara

« Reply #9437 on: June 23, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, silverware and especially the glasses that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:51:40 PM by Amara »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9438 on: June 23, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, glasses and silverware that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?

Run a cup or two of white vinegar through it empty, on the longest, hottest setting there is. Use less dish detergent and add a rinse aid like Finish or oxiclean.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Amara

« Reply #9439 on: June 23, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
Thanks!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9440 on: June 23, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
To start things off, could someone explain what "a rolling stone gathers no moss" actually means? I've heard it forever. But, what, exactly, does it mean?

People who move around a lot don't end up with a lot of money or possessions.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9441 on: June 23, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »
To start things off, could someone explain what "a rolling stone gathers no moss" actually means? I've heard it forever. But, what, exactly, does it mean?

People who move around a lot don't end up with a lot of money or possessions.

That is one view of it. A more general interpretation is that something active (whether physically active, mentally, in their career, etc) doesn't get weighed down by unnecessary things.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9442 on: June 23, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
I feel a bit dumb asking this, but my dishes, silverware and especially the glasses that come out of the dishwasher are looking ... dirty. Lots of soapy-type streaks and dots. I really hate the look. How do I stop that? Do I need to stop using the dishwasher?

Do you use Jet-Dry or anything else like that?  It really makes a huge difference in reducing streaks and spots.

Amara

« Reply #9443 on: June 23, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
I use the dishwasher soap (dry) from Trader Joe's.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9444 on: June 23, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
I use the dishwasher soap (dry) from Trader Joe's.
rinse aids will help a great deal. 

Carotte

« Reply #9445 on: June 23, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Does it matter how much (dry) yeast you use in a bread/roll recipe?
I had already poured the whole packet of yeast before deciding on halving my cinnamon roll recipe (they turned out great) but if we imagine the other way around (half the yeast for the regular amount of flour) would it change anything? Especially if I'm not pressed for time so that it can rise as needed?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9446 on: June 23, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
Does it matter how much (dry) yeast you use in a bread/roll recipe?
I had already poured the whole packet of yeast before deciding on halving my cinnamon roll recipe (they turned out great) but if we imagine the other way around (half the yeast for the regular amount of flour) would it change anything? Especially if I'm not pressed for time so that it can rise as needed?

Yes, the amount of yeast matters (as does how old/effective the yeast is). How much it matters depends, but it definitely is a key component of bread. Bread is more of an art form than a science, and it can be somewhat forgiving of ingredients being out of balance with each other. But at its most basic, bread is air pockets (created as a by-product of the yeast consuming sugar or similar) suspended in a structure of elastic gluten (produced when you mix flour and water and knead it). The foundation of any bread is the balance between the air pockets and the structure that holds them in place.

If you add more yeast than the recipe calls for, the amount of sugar or other sweetener will still limit how much air the yeast can produce, but it might make the end product less sweet than it's supposed to be (since more yeast = more sugar consumption). If you add less yeast than the recipe calls for, in addition to probably ending up with bread that doesn't rise enough (and is therefore denser than it's supposed to be), you might end up with excess sugar and a sweeter end product than was intended.

Neither of those things is necessarily going to ruin a recipe, and there's a lot of personal taste that influences bread. But if you really have too much yeast, it is possible for bread to over-rise (which would stretch the gluten beyond its breaking point, and leave it unable to hold the air pockets suspended in the dough). If you really have too little yeast, or if your yeast isn't very active anymore, you might end up with bread that really doesn't rise at all. In that case, you'd probably end up with extra sugar in your end product, so it would also be a little sweeter than it's supposed to be. I think it would take a relatively large difference in the amount of sugar that was supposed to be left and what actually was before you'd taste much of a difference, which is why bread can be fairly forgiving of such an imbalance.

Ultimately, there's a limit to how much one little yeast cell can produce, so if you don't have enough of them (or they are particularly lackluster from age), you can wait forever and the bread still won't rise enough. The other piece of the equation is when you bake it, because bread rises in the oven until it gets cooked enough that the yeast dies. So if the yeast is rising very slowly, the bread will rise very slowly while it's baking, and at some point there is no more rising that will happen because the yeast is dead.

Flour, water, sugar to feed the yeast, and yeast are the only essential components of bread (other ingredients contribute to the taste or texture, but aren't strictly necessary), so mucking around with any of those essentials too much can throw the whole thing out of balance and result in really non-tasty bread. Mucking around with them a little is one reason why varieties of bread exist, and people frequently do alter that basic balance of flour/water to yeast/sugar so that they can have bread to their liking.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9447 on: June 23, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
Would you be upset if someone you are pretty close to, who was in your wedding and who is family did not invite you to their wedding?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9448 on: June 23, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Would you be upset if someone you are pretty close to, who was in your wedding and who is family did not invite you to their wedding?

Depends a lot on the wedding.  If it's small, far away, particularly religious (in a religion you don't belong to), etc. - then no.  If it's local and they invite 300 people and you're on the list, that's a bit more hurtful.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9449 on: June 23, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
It's a reasonable drive, not intimate and the same religion. I'm baffled. It isn't secret and we are all on social media together.