Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1031829 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9450 on: June 23, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Is it possible the invitation went astray and they really did intend to invite you? My best friend from college never received the invitation I sent him, and it's not unheard of for things to get mis-delivered or lost in the mail.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9451 on: June 23, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
I've emailed the closest relative asking for the date so we can send a card and gift, since the happy couple will be relocating afterwards.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9452 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »
It's a reasonable drive, not intimate and the same religion. I'm baffled. It isn't secret and we are all on social media together.

If virtually everyone else you know was invited to this wedding, I'm guessing that somehow your invitation went astray somehow.  It does put you in an awkward position.  You can't very well say to the happy couple "I plan to come to your wedding, but my invitation seems to have gotten lost!" just in case they really did NOT invite you quite intentionally.

I've emailed the closest relative asking for the date so we can send a card and gift, since the happy couple will be relocating afterwards.

I think you've already come up with what seems like the best solution here.  The closest relative may inquire of the HC whether or not it was intended that you be invited and if you were supposed to be invited they can rectify what went wrong.  And if not, well, at least you will have behaved appropriately even though you may be a little hurt and disappointed. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #9453 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »

Find out the happy couple's NEW address and send the gift there, after they've moved. It'll give them one less piece to try and pack and move.   They'll appreciate it in the long run.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9454 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
It's going to be monetary, so no need to pack.  ;)

Marga

« Reply #9455 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
When people I know moved far, far away, I gifted them with an Amazon gift card. Nothing to take with them and they could use it from anywhere in the world, to buy just what they wanted.
It was very much appreciated. :)

CuriousParty

« Reply #9456 on: June 24, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
I give Amazon cards as teacher gifts. DH says there are people who don't shop at Amazon. I cannot imagine....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9457 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
I give Amazon cards as teacher gifts. DH says there are people who don't shop at Amazon. I cannot imagine....
Teachers probably love you for this.  There are only so many "Best Teacher in the World" coffee mugs one can accumulate, after all.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9458 on: June 25, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
I have a question about driver positioning in a car.

If you are driving a car, there are only so many positions that work with all the things you should be doing.
*Looking left, right and forward for possible cars/people/animals coming in your space.
*Using the steering wheel.
*Shifting, if in a manual transmission car.
*Braking.

Lately, I have seen quite a few drivers in odd configurations. This morning, there was a driver with their head and shoulder leaned against the side window. It doesn't look comfortable and they weren't above average height.
Another thing I have seen recently is the driver having their left leg bent with their foot on the seat.

Xandraea

« Reply #9459 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
I have a question about driver positioning in a car.

If you are driving a car, there are only so many positions that work with all the things you should be doing.
*Looking left, right and forward for possible cars/people/animals coming in your space.
*Using the steering wheel.
*Shifting, if in a manual transmission car.
*Braking.

Lately, I have seen quite a few drivers in odd configurations. This morning, there was a driver with their head and shoulder leaned against the side window. It doesn't look comfortable and they weren't above average height.
Another thing I have seen recently is the driver having their left leg bent with their foot on the seat.

There was a guy I went to school with who'd drive with his seat-back nearly laying down in the back seat, and the palm of one hand on the wheel. No fingers, no actually holding the wheel. I've no idea how he could see to drive this way, and shudder to think of any fast-reacting necessary when he's not even holding the wheel.  I've also seen drivers with their left foot out the window, and the standard "too-cool-to-drive-properly" guy lounging back with his right arm draped over the back of the passenger seat.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #9460 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
I actually had to find out the answer to that question (at least sort of), because I just got braces and there's at least a small chance we may move before I'm done.

Basically, if you've paid for the braces in advance, you settle up with the one you're leaving, and they give you a refund. If you're paying on a monthly schedule (which most of them seem to offer), they settle up and tell you how much you owe or give you a refund. Both of those are based on how much of the service they deem you have already received.

My orthodontist also told me that if I move out of the area, they would be able to help me find a new orthodontist, who uses the same system they do. There are different kinds of brackets, and the last thing you want is to have them removed and new ones put on mid-treatment.

But if you go to a new orthodontist halfway through treatment, you end up having to pay for some things twice. There are costs associated with taking on a new patient and evaluating their treatment plan, and those wouldn't be refunded from the first orthodontist but you'd have to pay them to the new one as well.

So, the short answer to all of that is...you really don't want to switch orthodontists unless you really have to.
Or you can do what we did with oldest son's ... By the time we finally got permission to move (a year after the process started--if we'd moved back then, we would've switched to someone local), he only had a couple visits + removal left.  So I bought him train tickets and sent him back (he was 17 at the time) for his appointments.  Because by that time, no one *would* take him on for a switch.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #9461 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
When it comes to deadheading flowers, do you have to pinch them off with your fingers, or can you clip them with clippers? I always wonder if I'm doing it wrong when I use clippers but that's what I prefer. (I suppose it might depend on the flower, but I'm speaking generally.)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9462 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »
When it comes to deadheading flowers, do you have to pinch them off with your fingers, or can you clip them with clippers? I always wonder if I'm doing it wrong when I use clippers but that's what I prefer. (I suppose it might depend on the flower, but I'm speaking generally.)

I do it with clippers all the time and it seems to work just fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9463 on: June 25, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »

Clippers are fine. Me and Mom don't bother doing it with our hands, it's far easier with a clipper.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Carotte

« Reply #9464 on: June 25, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »
How many bobby pin one need in his(her) life?
I got a stellar deal on 100 regular bobbypin for 1, 50 tall for 1.
I got a box of each thinking that a hundred (150 really) was plenty but now I wonder... They're good quality and they're getting rid of the stock, am I crazy to think that maybe another box...?
The cost is nothing but I wasn't planning on putting "boxes of a 100 bobbypin, unopened" on my will  :P
(I do use them regularly, I don't really know anyone close enough that I would "gift" bobbypins to).