Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1057216 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9465 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
I don't think that 100 bobby pins is a whole lot at all! When I used to wear my hair in different up-dos (buns, french rolls, piled-up curley dos, etc.) I could use 10 or more for one styling. I know they are reusable, but sometimes the plastic tips fall off or they get misshaped . . .

When my DDs were younger they wore them (and lost them) a lot. A box of 100 was nothing!

One year for xmas gifts the DDs decorated a bunch of bobby pins for gifts.

If you're looking for things to do with bobby pins -- http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/bobby-pin-diys

;D

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9466 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »
My bobby pins are only so-so quality, so they get bent out of shape pretty quickly. But honestly, even good bobby pins can be misshapen if your hair is thick enough and you're using them for up-dos.

I also tend to use bobby pins to "set" my bangs after I straighten them (basically, pin them off to the side for a bit so they keep their side-swept position all day). I often put the bobby pins in my pocket because I forget about them until I'm at work, which rubs off the finish and makes them look not great. And since I often use them on my bangs in a somewhat visible way, having not-great-looking bobby pins is not ideal.

I say just buy them, if you use bobby pins regularly. It's always better to have too many rather than too few. And even the good ones don't last forever.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #9467 on: June 26, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on deadheading flowers. It's nice to know I'm not doing it wrong!  :)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Betelnut

« Reply #9468 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:54 AM »
We just had elections here and one of the positions elected was for Sheriff.  (U.S)  What does a "Sheriff" do versus, say, the chief of police? If so, I don't get why it is elected--seems to me the chief should be someone qualified more than simply elected.  Is the Sheriff a paid position (salaried) or honorary?

Yes, I could Google it but y'all are here...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9469 on: June 27, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
Sheriff is a paid, elected position. They are in charge of the Sheriff's Office, which is generally a county wide operation with jurisdiction over all the cities within the county.

Police Chief is in charge of the police for a particular city.

Many states have an inter-agency assistance agreement, so if there is a major crime scene or disaster, you will have police officers and sheriff's deputies working together.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9470 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
In our neck of the woods, sheriffs have jurisdiction in unincorporated areas. (Parts of a county that aren't in a city.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9471 on: June 27, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
We just had elections here and one of the positions elected was for Sheriff.  (U.S)  What does a "Sheriff" do versus, say, the chief of police? If so, I don't get why it is elected--seems to me the chief should be someone qualified more than simply elected.  Is the Sheriff a paid position (salaried) or honorary?

Yes, I could Google it but y'all are here...

It depends on your local area.  Sheriffs are typically elected.  I've always seen it as sheriffs are beholden to the people who elected them.  Police chiefs are beholden to the politicians that appointed them. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9472 on: June 29, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
My mother & I would need huge numbers of pins to hold our hair into position (spider web fine and at least one hair dresser calls it "glass finish" hair).  The pins need to be glued in or they fall out, even if they are put in "crossed" to supposedly hold each other in position.

I joked that we could track Mom by the hair pins behind her when she was wearing her hair put up - back in the 1960s.  Fortunately, styles changed and hairpins became a lot less common.  Ambrosia Hino did remind her hair dresser to use crossed pins & lots of hair spray on her wedding day...guess the "glass finish" genes bred true.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9473 on: June 30, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
What are "that's what she said" jokes?  ???   There's an ad playing for something that uses the phrase.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9474 on: June 30, 2014, 01:33:57 AM »
What are "that's what she said" jokes?  ???   There's an ad playing for something that uses the phrase.

From what I've heard of it (I may not be totally accurate) it's basically something said whenever someone says something that could be taken in a...less than worksafe manner. So if you say something like "And I was so sore I couldn't even sit down", while it may be totally innocent, it could be taken the wrong way, and that's where "That's what she said" came in. Basically implying what you've just said was a s*xual comment.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #9475 on: June 30, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »

From what I've heard of it (I may not be totally accurate) it's basically something said whenever someone says something that could be taken in a...less than worksafe manner. So if you say something like "And I was so sore I couldn't even sit down", while it may be totally innocent, it could be taken the wrong way, and that's where "That's what she said" came in. Basically implying what you've just said was a s*xual comment.
It's an updated version of the old "...said the bishop to the actress" line.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9476 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
Would you be upset if someone you are pretty close to, who was in your wedding and who is family did not invite you to their wedding?

They didn't have our address. I messaged a close relative and have all the details, so we will be attending and the invitation will be mailed today. I'm very excited!

Krism

« Reply #9477 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »
When it comes to deadheading flowers, do you have to pinch them off with your fingers, or can you clip them with clippers? I always wonder if I'm doing it wrong when I use clippers but that's what I prefer. (I suppose it might depend on the flower, but I'm speaking generally.)

This reminds me, I have some sort of rose bushes in our front yard, should I be deadheading them?  At what point should I do this?  When the blooms fall off or wait until winter?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9478 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thats-what-she-said

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9479 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
On the page with all the topics, just to the left is a column that always has a little notebook-like thing in it but sometimes a " :(" or " :)" face in there.  Where do the faces and symbols come from?