News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 12:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2425372 times)

camlan

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9465 on: July 12, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I know next to nothing about real estate, so I want to know if this is normal. DF and I are looking at buying a house. I requested to view one from an agent and he asked if I would be willing to sign an agreement that I wouldn't work with another company. That seems outrageous to me, especially when all I did was request a viewing. "Hey, I know this is the first date, but let's get married tomorrow!" That's what it feels like to me.

Also, in most parts of the US, it is now standard to have one agent working for the seller, and a completely different agent working for the buyer.

If the buyers use the seller's agent, there is the temptation for the agent to use any information gained from the buyers to the seller's benefit. "Hey, I know they offered $150,000, but I heard them discussing this and they could easily go $10,000 higher." "I saw their approval info from the bank and they can pay much more than they are offering." "They really, really want to be in this school district and your house is the only one they've seen that they like. Hold out for more money."

And if the same agent/agency represents both seller and buyer, they get both commissions.

Not saying all agents would do this, but why open the door? Get your own buyer's agent.

And check around for any adult education/community college courses about house buying in your area. You can learn a lot from those.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9466 on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »
I know next to nothing about real estate, so I want to know if this is normal. DF and I are looking at buying a house. I requested to view one from an agent and he asked if I would be willing to sign an agreement that I wouldn't work with another company. That seems outrageous to me, especially when all I did was request a viewing. "Hey, I know this is the first date, but let's get married tomorrow!" That's what it feels like to me.

They have a lot to gain from the arrangement (a near certain deal) so what are they offering you in exchange? Do they expect you to do it just because?

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9467 on: July 12, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »

They have a lot to gain from the arrangement (a near certain deal) so what are they offering you in exchange? Do they expect you to do it just because?

The only "upside" he mentioned was that I would get to work with him and his two partners, so I would have three agents working with me.  To me, it seems to benefit him a lot and me barely.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9468 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »

The only "upside" he mentioned was that I would get to work with him and his two partners, so I would have three agents working with me.  To me, it seems to benefit him a lot and me barely.

Oh, wow. How generous of him. Sorry, the sarcasm started dripping.

Yeah, stay away from him.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9469 on: July 12, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
For a buyer No. For a seller yes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Betelnut

« Reply #9470 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
Are the Teenage Mutant Turtles people who mutated into turtles or turtles that mutated into people?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

dawnfire

« Reply #9471 on: July 12, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
Are the Teenage Mutant Turtles people who mutated into turtles or turtles that mutated into people?

they were turtles that mutated into people
Whittlesea Victoria

gmatoy

« Reply #9472 on: July 13, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

Learn something every day, says the woman who once made a Halloween Teenage Mutant Turtle costume for a cousin's son. (Hey, I just sewed, I didn't have to know the backstory.)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9473 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »

Learn something every day, says the woman who once made a Halloween Teenage Mutant Turtle costume for a cousin's son. (Hey, I just sewed, I didn't have to know the backstory.)

Normal turtles who lived in the sewer until they had toxic waste spilled on them (of course).  Same with Splinter, the rat who trains them in ninja skills.

Now, I can't quite explain the robotic foot soldiers from Dimension X led by a disembodied mechanical brain . . .  :P

demarco

« Reply #9474 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
Is it possible to ship a suitcase (inside a box or otherwise) to a hotel where you will be staying? Has anyone done this?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9475 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
Is it possible to ship a suitcase (inside a box or otherwise) to a hotel where you will be staying? Has anyone done this?

Yes, just make sure you reference your hotel confirmation number and ask for it when you check in.  They may charge a storage and handling fee.  You'll want to talk to the front desk, not the reservations center

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9476 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »
Make sure you are talking to a person physically at the hotel, since most chains are reluctant to transfer people from the reservation center.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #9477 on: July 16, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
House numbers in the US: I've seen street addresses like "11907 Wicks St". Does that mean the street is long enough to have 11 thousand houses in it, or are the numbers assigned some other way?
<3

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9478 on: July 16, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
It's random. Depends on the county/city/region. My friend built a house in the country, off of a road, so ended up naming the street he built, and still had to have a 4 digit address.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

magicdomino

« Reply #9479 on: July 16, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
House numbers in the US: I've seen street addresses like "11907 Wicks St". Does that mean the street is long enough to have 11 thousand houses in it, or are the numbers assigned some other way?

It's more likely that the street is a major thoroughfare with 119 blocks, with a lot of skipped numbers in-between.  For instance, the houses on one side of my block are 6418 -- 6420 -- 6424 -- 6428 -- 6430. Most of the houses on the other side are on corners facing other streets, so there is only one odd-numbered address -- 6417.  The idea is to allow for future expansion; if the single family homes on my block were replaced by townhouses, the missing numbers could be used instead of re-numbering everything.  Even then, re-numbering happens occasionally.  My house had a completely different number when it was built.

Also, a long road probably has some businesses on it large enough to take up a whole block, and thus uses only one number.