Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1125047 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9480 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
On the page with all the topics, just to the left is a column that always has a little notebook-like thing in it but sometimes a " :(" or " :)" face in there.  Where do the faces and symbols come from?

When you start a thread there is a drop down to select an icon at the top

a clever screenname

« Reply #9481 on: June 30, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
This reminds me, I have some sort of rose bushes in our front yard, should I be deadheading them?  At what point should I do this?  When the blooms fall off or wait until winter?

It has been over a decade since I had a garden, and I hadn't grown roses, but as I recall the general recommendation was to deadhead shortly after the blooms fall.  This encourages the plant to send out new blooms rather than spend that energy producing seeds.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9482 on: June 30, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »
And you cut back to just above the first full set of 5 leaves, if I remember correctly.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9483 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
On the page with all the topics, just to the left is a column that always has a little notebook-like thing in it but sometimes a " :(" or " :)" face in there.  Where do the faces and symbols come from?

Oh, it only took me nearly eight years on this board to figure that out  ::) :P

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9484 on: July 01, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »

Oh, it only took me nearly eight years on this board to figure that out  ::) :P

LOL! I always wondered about that too!

I'm betting we're going to see a lot more icons in that column. ;D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #9485 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
What's the difference between "converted" and "non-converted" rice?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9486 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »

Converted rice-has been precooked, so cooking time is much shorter (i.e. Uncle Ben's and Minute Rice)
Non-converted rice takes about 15 minutes to cook (and I've found to be much less expensive)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9487 on: July 02, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »

Converted rice-has been precooked, so cooking time is much shorter (i.e. Uncle Ben's and Minute Rice)
Non-converted rice takes about 15 minutes to cook (and I've found to be much less expensive)

Uncle Ben's is converted rice--it has been parboiled.

But Minute Rice is different--it's sort of "instant" rice. It has already been cooked and then dried. So it cooks faster--like 5 minutes. But it has a very different texture than regular rice.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9488 on: July 02, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
^ I have textural issues with food, so instant rice isn't a favorite.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9489 on: July 02, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »
I discovered, on a canoe trip with people who didn't cook much, that you don't even have to cook Minute Rice.  You just need to rehydrate it.

I follow the directions - bring the water to a boil, add the rice, turn down, cook for 5 minutes.  My compatriots didn't need no stinking directions.  They put the rice in the water right away and set the pot aside to cook it later.  When we opened the lid before cooking, there was the perfectly fluffed back up rice.  We only had to put it on the burner long enough to heat it through.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9490 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
I discovered, on a canoe trip with people who didn't cook much, that you don't even have to cook Minute Rice.  You just need to rehydrate it.

I follow the directions - bring the water to a boil, add the rice, turn down, cook for 5 minutes.  My compatriots didn't need no stinking directions.  They put the rice in the water right away and set the pot aside to cook it later.  When we opened the lid before cooking, there was the perfectly fluffed back up rice.  We only had to put it on the burner long enough to heat it through.

That's really interesting!  I'd always been told that it was the "steam" that cooked the rice.  Apparently not!   :D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9491 on: July 02, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
Well, that's why it's "minute" rice. It's already cooked. As Outdoor Girl says, it just needs to be rehydrated.

Regular rice would need heat to cook.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9492 on: July 02, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

I just pour enough boiling water it to cover, add butter & salt, stir and pop on a lid. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #9493 on: July 03, 2014, 05:43:01 AM »
We go sailing a lot.  Before we leave i put a cup of water and a cup of rice in a tupperware container.  Four hours later at lunch time it just needs to be heated through.  Ordinary rice is all you need.  If i get myself organised enough I will do the same thing before leave for work, so at dinner time it will be ready to stir fry.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9494 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
We go sailing a lot.  Before we leave i put a cup of water and a cup of rice in a tupperware container.  Four hours later at lunch time it just needs to be heated through.  Ordinary rice is all you need.  If i get myself organised enough I will do the same thing before leave for work, so at dinner time it will be ready to stir fry.

EHell is so darned educational sometimes!!   ;)