News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 03:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2418401 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9510 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:59 AM »
Hair and nails deteriorating at the same time can be a symptom of a whole lot of things, some minor (dietary deficiency) some... less minor (assorted auto-immune issues, including rheumatic or psoriatic arthritis). Hugs, and I hope you get answers quickly!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

knitwicca

« Reply #9511 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Is there anything one can do to have thicker hair?
Mine is really thin and I feel like I can't do a lot with it even if it's past shoulder length.
I wash it every two/three days with shampoo that seems appropriate, I don't use conditioner, I blow dry with my head down to try and give it a minimum of volume.
Would a different shampoo or conditioner help? Or is that something that cannot be changed?

I have baby-fine, extremely thin hair. My hairdresser strongly recommended demanded I start taking Biotin. It made an amazing change.
My hair grows quicker, thicker and stronger than ever in my life.

I asked my doctor about it. He shrugged and said "It won't hurt you and, if you are happy, go for it."

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9512 on: July 22, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
I also take Biotin, haven't noticed a difference so far, but it's only been 2 weeks

I have seen warnings about making sure you drink enough water as it can cause acne and breakouts.  I also add Vitamin E oil to my hot oil mix as well. 

jpcher

« Reply #9513 on: July 22, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
What is it about eggs that makes car paint peel?

also

What is the best way to remove egg from a car?

Yes, my car was egged. >:( There are already quite a few spots of chipped paint. I took it through a car wash and that removed most of the residue but there are some spots that I tried to chip away with my finger nail and that stuff is really stuck on.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #9514 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »

Wet a washcloth (pretty wet, you want it to stay wet for at least 15 minutes). Place it over the egg residue.
In 15 minutes, wipe away the now-liquid residue.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #9515 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
Apparently drying egg white sticks to the paint more than the paint sticks to itself - it can also haze some glass pieces, I'm told.

The drying egg white shrinks and pulls tiny flakes of paint off as it shrinks...or so Mom told me (chemistry teacher at the time) - it's why egging a house might look like a minor Halloween prank, but if cleanup was delayed, it could cause unexpected levels of damage.  Older formulas of paint might have peeled even worse forty years ago...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Coruscation

« Reply #9516 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »

Eggs are largely protein which hardens when heated. Use cold water rather than hot. I'm unsure if the car wash is heated water, but if it is, you shouldn't have done it.

guihong

« Reply #9517 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
I can tell one on myself, or "Ask a silly question..."

I'm taking a sign language course at the School for the Deaf.  We were doing finger spelling, and I asked the instructor how you signed ASL (American Sign Language).  He promptly signed out A-S-L.  ::).

Syfygeek

« Reply #9518 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9519 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.

Most G5 models had two video ports, one is DVI and the other is ADC. DVI is more general, while ADC is/was specific to Apple. If the monitor is an ADC monitor, then you need an ADC-to-DVI adapter to use it with just about any other system. Can you find the model # of the monitor?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Carotte

« Reply #9520 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
Would it work if I were to crack an egg on my rice/bean salad and put it in the microwave?
Any chance it would cook ok and not just explode everywhere?
I'm looking for a somewhat runny kind of egg, not fully cooked, so that I can stir it in the salad.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9521 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
Would it work if I were to crack an egg on my rice/bean salad and put it in the microwave?
I'm looking for a somewhat runny kind of egg, not fully cooked, so that I can stir it in the salad.

I don't know about runny...but my mom makes scrambled eggs in the microwave all of the time.  She doesn't put it in for very long, though, less than 2 minutes I think.

KenveeB

« Reply #9522 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »

I don't know about runny...but my mom makes scrambled eggs in the microwave all of the time.  She doesn't put it in for very long, though, less than 2 minutes I think.

I scramble eggs in the microwave all the time. Two minutes will do it. But be sure to cover the bowl with a damp paper towel so your egg doesn't get too dry.

dawnfire

« Reply #9523 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »

I scramble eggs in the microwave all the time. Two minutes will do it. But be sure to cover the bowl with a damp paper towel so your egg doesn't get too dry.

it should work, just make sure the yolk  is broken and cover it with a damp paper to help contain any 'pops'
Whittlesea Victoria

daen

« Reply #9524 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »

it should work, just make sure the yolk  is broken and cover it with a damp paper to help contain any 'pops'

I may be too late to the party, but poking the yolk and white a few times with a toothpick or fork is good for preventing the mini explosions.