Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089218 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9540 on: July 18, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
I know next to nothing about real estate, so I want to know if this is normal. DF and I are looking at buying a house. I requested to view one from an agent and he asked if I would be willing to sign an agreement that I wouldn't work with another company. That seems outrageous to me, especially when all I did was request a viewing. "Hey, I know this is the first date, but let's get married tomorrow!" That's what it feels like to me.

I think it depends on the area in general and the broker/agency.  But, it can benefit you with the right agent.  If you sign an agreement with an agent as a buyer, they should do a LOT of work for you.  You tell them the particulars of what you want (area, size, price, etc.) and they go through the listings for you, come up with a few to show you and take you through those houses. 

This works particularly well if you have a limited amount of time in an area that you are not familiar with.  They know the area and they have the inside information on the market. 

The times we have done this, we've set up showings and signed the contract then.  They are not going to do all this work for you without knowing they will be paid for it when you buy a house. 

True and I have used services like this in the past. However, in this case, the OP says that the agents weren't offering any particular services in exchange for the exclusivity. They might even have such services but that was such a bad sales pitch that I would run away in any case!

It sounds to me like the OP contacted the seller's agent to request a showing.  It is standard to have that agent's name and contact information with any listing, in any format (online, print signage).  Since most agents I've dealt with are not exclusively buyer's or seller's agents, they are always trying to drum up business wherever and whenever possible.  Making contact is the first step. 

I agree it was a lousy sales pitch....a little too hard sell for my taste.  Especially since (I assume) she was asking to see one of his listings.  The problem comes when/if OP has a different agent that may show them that house.  Both agents will have shown the same house....who should receive that portion (the buyer's agent) of the commission?  That's the reason so many will push for a contract.

The important thing to remember is that when you buy from the listing agent without an agent of your own, there is an inherent conflict of interest and you will be expected to sign a document agreeing to the agent's dual role.

Yeah, I get it that they won't want to do work for me if I turn around and use someone else, but all I had requested was a showing of a specific house and he threw that out there without any other questions. There was no getting to know me or anything. It was very abrupt; what if I signed it and found out he wasn't a good fit? As it is, I had a showing with another agent who has turned out to be a perfect fit and she hasn't asked for a thing. She even recommended a lender with whom we are now exclusively working. I will definitely be using the pair of them as the process progresses.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9541 on: July 18, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
Yesterday the office printer randomly spewed out several documents that were apparently sent to be printed in 2012. It wasn't just a matter of the date on the bottom of the pages being wrong; several of the things that came out belonged to people who haven't worked here since 2012. It's not even the same printer we had back then. How is that even possible? Is information sent to a printer saved "on the network" somehow? Our IT guy is stumped.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9542 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
I am guessing there is a print server somewhere on your network, and it had a random little hiccup. At the least, that's where I would start looking.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9543 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
Speaking of blasts from the past, my office had an email go out advising students to use a email account that the university got rid of over five years ago. We're baffled.

Carotte

« Reply #9544 on: July 21, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
Is there anything one can do to have thicker hair?
Mine is really thin and I feel like I can't do a lot with it even if it's past shoulder length.
I wash it every two/three days with shampoo that seems appropriate, I don't use conditioner, I blow dry with my head down to try and give it a minimum of volume.
Would a different shampoo or conditioner help? Or is that something that cannot be changed?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9545 on: July 21, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »
Mine is really thin and I feel like I can't do a lot with it even if it's past shoulder length.
I wash it every two/three days with shampoo that seems appropriate, I don't use conditioner, I blow dry with my head down to try and give it a minimum of volume.
Would a different shampoo or conditioner help? Or is that something that cannot be changed?

It sort of depends. Has your hair airways been like this? Is it a recent change?  How do your nails look?

Thin hair can just be how your hair is. It can also be from medical conditions or vitamin deficiencies.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9546 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
There is a Rogaine for women.  Walgreen's has a store brand that's cheaper.  It costs about $10 per month.  It works for me. 

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9547 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »
I have heard that sometimes anemia (not enough iron in the diet) can cause hair to thin - if you've not reached menopause yet, you might ask about a blood test to see if you're anemic.  If you have reached menopause, I understand that you are less likely to be anemic...but it probably can't hurt to have a blood test anyway...too much iron is not good for you, either.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Carotte

« Reply #9548 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:35 AM »
My hair has always been on the thin side, but my nails are appaling right now, that coupled with other problems and I guess I'll leave the matter to my doctor first (A blood draw was in my future anyway  :()

Thanks everyone  :).

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9549 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
Hair and nails deteriorating at the same time can be a symptom of a whole lot of things, some minor (dietary deficiency) some... less minor (assorted auto-immune issues, including rheumatic or psoriatic arthritis). Hugs, and I hope you get answers quickly!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

knitwicca

« Reply #9550 on: July 22, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »

I have baby-fine, extremely thin hair. My hairdresser strongly recommended demanded I start taking Biotin. It made an amazing change.
My hair grows quicker, thicker and stronger than ever in my life.

I asked my doctor about it. He shrugged and said "It won't hurt you and, if you are happy, go for it."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9551 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
I also take Biotin, haven't noticed a difference so far, but it's only been 2 weeks

I have seen warnings about making sure you drink enough water as it can cause acne and breakouts.  I also add Vitamin E oil to my hot oil mix as well. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9552 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
What is it about eggs that makes car paint peel?

also

What is the best way to remove egg from a car?

Yes, my car was egged. >:( There are already quite a few spots of chipped paint. I took it through a car wash and that removed most of the residue but there are some spots that I tried to chip away with my finger nail and that stuff is really stuck on.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #9553 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

What is the best way to remove egg from a car?

Wet a washcloth (pretty wet, you want it to stay wet for at least 15 minutes). Place it over the egg residue.
In 15 minutes, wipe away the now-liquid residue.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9554 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Apparently drying egg white sticks to the paint more than the paint sticks to itself - it can also haze some glass pieces, I'm told.

The drying egg white shrinks and pulls tiny flakes of paint off as it shrinks...or so Mom told me (chemistry teacher at the time) - it's why egging a house might look like a minor Halloween prank, but if cleanup was delayed, it could cause unexpected levels of damage.  Older formulas of paint might have peeled even worse forty years ago...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?