Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1059346 times)

Coruscation

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9555 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »

What is the best way to remove egg from a car?

Eggs are largely protein which hardens when heated. Use cold water rather than hot. I'm unsure if the car wash is heated water, but if it is, you shouldn't have done it.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9556 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »
I can tell one on myself, or "Ask a silly question..."

I'm taking a sign language course at the School for the Deaf.  We were doing finger spelling, and I asked the instructor how you signed ASL (American Sign Language).  He promptly signed out A-S-L.  ::).

Syfygeek

« Reply #9557 on: July 23, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9558 on: July 23, 2014, 01:04:47 PM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.

Most G5 models had two video ports, one is DVI and the other is ADC. DVI is more general, while ADC is/was specific to Apple. If the monitor is an ADC monitor, then you need an ADC-to-DVI adapter to use it with just about any other system. Can you find the model # of the monitor?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Carotte

« Reply #9559 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Would it work if I were to crack an egg on my rice/bean salad and put it in the microwave?
Any chance it would cook ok and not just explode everywhere?
I'm looking for a somewhat runny kind of egg, not fully cooked, so that I can stir it in the salad.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9560 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »
Would it work if I were to crack an egg on my rice/bean salad and put it in the microwave?
I'm looking for a somewhat runny kind of egg, not fully cooked, so that I can stir it in the salad.

I don't know about runny...but my mom makes scrambled eggs in the microwave all of the time.  She doesn't put it in for very long, though, less than 2 minutes I think.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9561 on: July 23, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »

I don't know about runny...but my mom makes scrambled eggs in the microwave all of the time.  She doesn't put it in for very long, though, less than 2 minutes I think.

I scramble eggs in the microwave all the time. Two minutes will do it. But be sure to cover the bowl with a damp paper towel so your egg doesn't get too dry.

dawnfire

« Reply #9562 on: July 23, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »

I scramble eggs in the microwave all the time. Two minutes will do it. But be sure to cover the bowl with a damp paper towel so your egg doesn't get too dry.

it should work, just make sure the yolk  is broken and cover it with a damp paper to help contain any 'pops'

daen

« Reply #9563 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

it should work, just make sure the yolk  is broken and cover it with a damp paper to help contain any 'pops'

I may be too late to the party, but poking the yolk and white a few times with a toothpick or fork is good for preventing the mini explosions.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #9564 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:22 PM »
House numbers in the US: I've seen street addresses like "11907 Wicks St". Does that mean the street is long enough to have 11 thousand houses in it, or are the numbers assigned some other way?

One of the things that I found strange when I moved to my current location was that all house numbers that I've seen have at least 4 digits, often 5.  I'm used to 3, and both in heavily populated surburban areas near major cities (so we're not talking suburban versus rural or whatever).  My current house number has 4 digits and starts in the 6s, something like 6942, so you'd think I live on a block with 6000 houses... but I live on a dead-end street with 16 houses, all 1 digit apart.  So it's just a little road with houses 6938 to 6953, and that's it.  Very odd.

But yes, as others have said, often it's far more systematic, especially in cities with a grid system.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9565 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
Cook the salad first until its hot then crack the egg on top.  As you mix it in, the heat from the salad should cook the egg.  If it's still too runny, you can pop it back in the microwave. 

gmatoy

« Reply #9566 on: July 24, 2014, 03:34:08 AM »
Does anyone know where I could find a source for the plates like the ones that microwave dinners used to come on? Beige plastic (or something similar) about 7 1/2 inches when measured across the plate and they have an edge/rim. They were/are perfect to use as sandwich plates or as craft plate. Mine are too warn out to still be safe for food. Thanks for your help.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9567 on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »
Does anyone know where I could find a source for the plates like the ones that microwave dinners used to come on? Beige plastic (or something similar) about 7 1/2 inches when measured across the plate and they have an edge/rim. They were/are perfect to use as sandwich plates or as craft plate. Mine are too warn out to still be safe for food. Thanks for your help.

A restaurant supply store might have them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9568 on: July 24, 2014, 07:07:10 AM »
I know that I got a couple of plates like that in a picnic set from Tupperware - and Husband has appropriated them to use them as microwave dinner plates!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

poundcake

« Reply #9569 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »

I've seen them at secondhand/thrift shops, too.