Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1081915 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9570 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:26 AM »
I can tell one on myself, or "Ask a silly question..."

I'm taking a sign language course at the School for the Deaf.  We were doing finger spelling, and I asked the instructor how you signed ASL (American Sign Language).  He promptly signed out A-S-L.  ::).

Okay now I'll tell one on myself. So a friend of mine in HS was deaf, and several of the girls in the group knew an extensive amount of ASL (they were all related, and had a cousin who was deaf). I asked one of the girls to sign the word 'who' to me, because i had forgotten it (at this point I had been studying ASL on my own off and on since I was eight). Something got mucked up between her telling me and me signing it to my deaf friend. Oh yes. All six of them laughed themselves silly.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #9571 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
I have a 'shared experience' question (and this is not intended to procure any medical advice, I'm just curious if anybody else has had this happen).

Have you ever been so tired - or a certain type of tired/exhausted - that you feel hungover? (Even though no spirits were imbibed?) I have had that happen and recently a coworker said she'd had something similar happen when she was particularly tired, so I wondered if this was common. A good night's sleep took care of the problem.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9572 on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »
I have, although usually only if I'm also dehydrated.  A hangover is mostly dehydration, anyway.  I've heard of 'crying hangovers' where someone who had been really emotional and did a lot of crying and didn't drink any water woke up with a hangover.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9573 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »
I have a 'shared experience' question (and this is not intended to procure any medical advice, I'm just curious if anybody else has had this happen).

Have you ever been so tired - or a certain type of tired/exhausted - that you feel hungover? (Even though no spirits were imbibed?) I have had that happen and recently a coworker said she'd had something similar happen when she was particularly tired, so I wondered if this was common. A good night's sleep took care of the problem.

I've been so exhausted I've felt almost drunk, but I'm not sure about hungover. I was woozy and couldn't process things normally.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9574 on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
Exhaustion can be more dangerous than being intoxicated. I've been there.  :-[

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #9575 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and perspectives. The last time this happened to me I may have been dehydrated due to sweat so that as a cause didn't occur to me at the time. That would explain the similar symptoms to a hangover!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

GreenHall

« Reply #9576 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
Sunscreen says to 'Apply 15 minutes before exposure to sun' (or similar).  What happens if I go out 5-10 minutes after applying?  Do I only get partial blockage?  Or less? I walk during my lunch break, and would prefer not to get too much sunscreen on my work clothes, so I change, apply sunscreen, change shoes, and walk.  I don't really have time to wait 15 minutes before going out.

Betelnut

« Reply #9577 on: July 24, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
This is really stupid but I just downloaded onto my computer some pictures from my kid's new camera (first time doing it).  I want to delete everything on her camera to make room for our upcoming trip. Anyway, the files are HUGE--like 4x bigger than my other picture files.

Is there a way to automatically resize the files while/when I'm downloading them?  I

Hmm, I'm also wondering if there is a setting in the camera itself to make the files smaller (obviously y'all wouldn't know that, just thinking aloud here).
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9578 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
This is really stupid but I just downloaded onto my computer some pictures from my kid's new camera (first time doing it).  I want to delete everything on her camera to make room for our upcoming trip. Anyway, the files are HUGE--like 4x bigger than my other picture files.

Is there a way to automatically resize the files while/when I'm downloading them?  I

Hmm, I'm also wondering if there is a setting in the camera itself to make the files smaller (obviously y'all wouldn't know that, just thinking aloud here).

1) yes, there should be a setting on the camera to change the picture size - if you don't want to waste tme mucking through menus, Google for your camera model + "change resolution."

2) some fancier software can do things like this in bulk, but I doubt it's anything you can automate with your basic photo software.

perpetua

« Reply #9579 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

I've been so exhausted I've felt almost drunk, but I'm not sure about hungover. I was woozy and couldn't process things normally.

My sleep is really poor due to my EDS - very disturbed and I don't think I ever get into deep sleep. I feel like this most days - always a slight undercurrent of wooziness, if that makes sense. It hadn't occurred to me that it was a result of lack of sleep but it very well might be.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9580 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

I use Google's Picasa to import and edit photos. Try to keep them a high resolution, you can always compress the folder.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9581 on: July 24, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
Does anyone know where I could find a source for the plates like the ones that microwave dinners used to come on? Beige plastic (or something similar) about 7 1/2 inches when measured across the plate and they have an edge/rim. They were/are perfect to use as sandwich plates or as craft plate. Mine are too warn out to still be safe for food. Thanks for your help.

Like these?

http://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=microwave+divided+dinner+plates&ei=UTF-8&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9582 on: July 24, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »

1) yes, there should be a setting on the camera to change the picture size - if you don't want to waste tme mucking through menus, Google for your camera model + "change resolution."

2) some fancier software can do things like this in bulk, but I doubt it's anything you can automate with your basic photo software.

Beware -- with a lower resolution it's true, the file size will be smaller. However you will also lower the quality. While the photos will still look good on screen, if you ever want to print them (especially at larger sizes like 8x10) they will look pixilated/muddy.

Like ladyknight1 said, you could always compress the folder with WinZip or burn the files to CD/DVD for storage.

If you're concerned about not having enough memory on the camera for your trip, maybe get a second SIM card for the camera. When one is full, switch it out with the fresh one. This way you can take the photos at hi-resolution and not worry about the quality of that perfect shot that you want to blow up to poster size.

P.S. For reference: https://ww2.lifepics.com/photography-tips/Check-Image-Resolution.html

It is also true that the larger resolution photos will be huge for e-mailing, much slower down-load time, etc. So for this purpose you still will need a program to resize the photos. Sorry, not to sound snobby, but I only use PhotoShop (part of my profession ;)) so I can't help you with the lower-end programs that do this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:01:45 PM by jpcher »

Syfygeek

« Reply #9583 on: July 24, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.

Most G5 models had two video ports, one is DVI and the other is ADC. DVI is more general, while ADC is/was specific to Apple. If the monitor is an ADC monitor, then you need an ADC-to-DVI adapter to use it with just about any other system. Can you find the model # of the monitor?

It's a Studio Display monitor. With an adapter, will it work ok with a pc, or should I get a complete desktop? And thank you!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

gmatoy

« Reply #9584 on: July 24, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
Does anyone know where I could find a source for the plates like the ones that microwave dinners used to come on? Beige plastic (or something similar) about 7 1/2 inches when measured across the plate and they have an edge/rim. They were/are perfect to use as sandwich plates or as craft plate. Mine are too warn out to still be safe for food. Thanks for your help.

Like these?

http://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=microwave+divided+dinner+plates&ei=UTF-8&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl
No, not divided. We like the ones we have because they are the perfect size for a sandwich.