Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1054245 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9585 on: July 24, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
Not a sim card, an SD or CF card for the camera. They are available at reasonable prices on Amazon.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9586 on: July 25, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »
I have a computer question- I've looked on the internet, but I'm still not sure, so I'm hoping some tech-y ehellion can help me out.

A friend gave me an older Mac G5 Powermac with the monitor. The mac cannot be upgraded without a bunch of money, but I love the monitor. If I buy a new PC tower, can I hook it to the Mac monitor?

I'm starting school soon, and thought the powermac would work, but I need a newer system.

Most G5 models had two video ports, one is DVI and the other is ADC. DVI is more general, while ADC is/was specific to Apple. If the monitor is an ADC monitor, then you need an ADC-to-DVI adapter to use it with just about any other system. Can you find the model # of the monitor?

It's a Studio Display monitor. With an adapter, will it work ok with a pc, or should I get a complete desktop? And thank you!

Not sure, to be honest. The first Studio Display (CRT) used a VGA connector, then they switched to ADC. The flat panel version used ADC. You'll likely need an adapter of some kind. I can't tell more without seeing the connectors.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9587 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
Are Mockingbirds in Alabama the same species as Mockingbirds in Texas?

The reason I ask is in To Kill a Mockingbird there is this quote in chapter 10

“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. “Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

This is not how I would describe a Mockingbird. They are quite territorial here. A few years ago our 5th graders had to use their backpacks, books, or umbrellas to protect themselves from one at with at nest at the end of the ramp from the 5th grade portables. This bird would dive bomb anyone or group coming or going. It would peck at the kids as they walked by. We were told we could not get rid of the nest because it is the state bird.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:43:30 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9588 on: July 26, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
Are Mockingbirds in Alabama the same species as Mockingbirds in Texas?

The reason I ask is in To Kill a Mockingbird there is this quote in chapter 10

“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. “Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

This is not how I would describe a Mockingbird. They are quite territorial here. A few years ago our 5th graders had to use their backpacks, books, or umbrellas to protect themselves from one at with at nest at the end of the ramp from the 5th grade portables. This bird would dive bomb anyone or group coming or going. It would peck at the kids as they walked by. We were told we could not get rid of the nest because it is the state bird.

I'm fairly sure the only species in the Continental US is the Northern Mockingbird.

They are quite territorial though, especially if they have an active nest. I've seen ones here in Florida run off Hawks and other large birds of prey. Let me tell you, they mean business.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9589 on: July 27, 2014, 02:03:33 AM »
I have heard that sometimes anemia (not enough iron in the diet) can cause hair to thin - if you've not reached menopause yet, you might ask about a blood test to see if you're anemic.  If you have reached menopause, I understand that you are less likely to be anemic...but it probably can't hurt to have a blood test anyway...too much iron is not good for you, either.

Yea, a friend of mine realized her hair was getting REALLY thin after she became a vegetarian - she asked her doc, and it seems she wasn't getting enough iron.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9590 on: July 27, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
Why do pilots make announcements about the weather forecast at the flight destination? It usually comes right after an update on the expected arrival time (which is useful), and it seems like it happens on all or most flights that I've been on, so I assume the pilots aren't just independently deciding to do this. Is it part of their training? If so, why?

Unless the weather is bad enough to delay landing or require re-routing, it seems pretty pointless--the flight is already booked, boarded, and in the air, so it's not like the passengers can decide not to go to Orlando after all or even grab an umbrella. There's pretty much nothing the passengers can do with weather information until they're actually in the destination airport, yet it's put into announcements that override all in-flight media. Usually by the time they're talking about weather, I just want them to wrap it up so I can get back to reading, listening to music, trying to sleep, or watching the in-flight movie (which is, of course, auto-paused during the announcement...or worse, is continuing merrily along while the passengers miss the dialog, as happened on my most recent flight  ::)).

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9591 on: July 27, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »
I appreciate the weather forecast. It lets me know if I should pull out the sweater in my carry on or if I am fine the way I am, if I can go ahead with my plans or if I should rethink something.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9592 on: July 27, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
Is it rude for someone to attend a wedding, but leave before the reception? The reception immediately followed, with a 15 minute social period with an open bar in between.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9593 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
Is it rude for someone to attend a wedding, but leave before the reception? The reception immediately followed, with a 15 minute social period with an open bar in between.

I don't think it's rude.  Most (though by no means all) people think the wedding is the "important" part.  That's the part you want to witness and be a part of. 

The rest is more of a party celebrating that important event that just occurred.  It may be that the person or couple had other really important things that had to be taken care of.  Or there may be liquor served and they aren't comfortable being around that.  Or they just don't like crowds and noise and music and the other things that sometimes happen at a reception. 

The only time I think it would be rude would be if it were an RSVP type reception they had said they were planning to attend and then left right after the wedding instead.  I'd hope no one would do that without a very good reason. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9594 on: July 27, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
It was a RSVP requested event, and catered at a site next to the wedding location. It just seemed odd to me.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9595 on: July 27, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
It was a RSVP requested event, and catered at a site next to the wedding location. It just seemed odd to me.

If the person(s) had RSVPd that they would be attending, then yes they were rude to skip the reception unless there was a very good reason like 'Mom was just rushed to the hospital this morning and we have to get back there right away' type thing.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9596 on: July 27, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »
I'd RSVP for the wedding but not the reception, assuming it was the traditional kind of  reception with speeches and toasts and first dance and all that photogenic stuff.  Last wedding I was at I got hammered with a major migraine at the first dance, when everyone there dragged out a camera or a phone to take pictures.  If they'd all managed to take them at the exact same instant I might have been all right, but the flashflashflashflashflashflash nailed me before I could get my eyes covered.

It didn't help that the DJ chose that moment to crank up the volume to "Exploding Volcano." :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:08:59 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9597 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
The whole family was there, it was a family wedding, but one relative left without telling us (close family member), and we were trying to save seats for her and another relative until we were told they left. Only one cousin did not attend. It was awkward when the bride was looking for this particular relative to introduce her groom.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9598 on: July 28, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
The whole family was there, it was a family wedding, but one relative left without telling us (close family member), and we were trying to save seats for her and another relative until we were told they left. Only one cousin did not attend. It was awkward when the bride was looking for this particular relative to introduce her groom.

Unless additional details become known in the future, I think I'd assume that something was wrong -- like a massive splitting headache or something -- that caused the person to leave.  I wouldn't attribute it to rudeness, at least at this point.  Sorry though about the awkwardness caused by him/her not telling anyone they were leaving.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9599 on: July 28, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
Why do pilots make announcements about the weather forecast at the flight destination? (snip)

To give people something to talk about? ;D

I, too, appreciate the weather reports. It gives me something to look forward to especially when I'm flying from a cold/snowy climate to a beautiful sunny 75 degrees.