Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1025491 times)

Xandraea

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9600 on: July 29, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
Why do pilots make announcements about the weather forecast at the flight destination? (snip)

To give people something to talk about? ;D

I, too, appreciate the weather reports. It gives me something to look forward to especially when I'm flying from a cold/snowy climate to a beautiful sunny 75 degrees.

IME, the pilot isn't giving a forecast, but telling what the weather *is* at the present time as we land at the destination. It isn't something the pilot goes on and on about, or mentions throughout the flight, but as we descend toward the destination, it's nice to know what to expect when we step off the plane and out of the airport.

My last flight was returning from the other end of a road trip. I'd left in January from a northern state (temps in the teens, snow, etc), driven south to the bottom of the US, stayed in southern states for a couple weeks, then flown back north. I hadn't brought my heavy coat, because I'd packed for the warm trip. Being reminded as we landed that I would step outside at midnight to -20 windchill helped me brace myself for the shock to the system after a warm couple of weeks.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9601 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »
Why do pilots make announcements about the weather forecast at the flight destination? (snip)

To give people something to talk about? ;D

I, too, appreciate the weather reports. It gives me something to look forward to especially when I'm flying from a cold/snowy climate to a beautiful sunny 75 degrees.

IME, the pilot isn't giving a forecast, but telling what the weather *is* at the present time as we land at the destination. It isn't something the pilot goes on and on about, or mentions throughout the flight, but as we descend toward the destination, it's nice to know what to expect when we step off the plane and out of the airport.

My last flight was returning from the other end of a road trip. I'd left in January from a northern state (temps in the teens, snow, etc), driven south to the bottom of the US, stayed in southern states for a couple weeks, then flown back north. I hadn't brought my heavy coat, because I'd packed for the warm trip. Being reminded as we landed that I would step outside at midnight to -20 windchill helped me brace myself for the shock to the system after a warm couple of weeks.

Interesting. What you describe makes perfect sense to me, but I usually seem to hear the weather discussed during much earlier announcements about estimated arrival time. For instance, during my latest flight of over 5 hours, it occurred during the first half of the in-flight movie, so probably within the first 2 hours of a 5-hour flight? I'm not sure how long the announcements actually continued, since I've never timed them. They often seem very rambling and pointless to me (including ETA, thanking us for flying with X airline, the weather report, etc.). However, I'm sure my perception is biased by the fact that I don't care about any of this information except ETA and want to get back to whatever I was doing before the pilot interrupted.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9602 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
That is strange and annoying! I usually get the weather information when the pilot announces that we are preparing to land, so it is part of an interruption, not one on its own.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9603 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »
Leaving the Wedding - I can think of a half dozen reasons that a person might only go to the wedding. Most have to do with being a caretaker for someone. Usually the person would have just declined but the couple is important to them so the guest goes to the wedding because that is the important part.

I've also attended weddings where for religious reason people did not attend the wedding ceremony, but did go to the reception. My Uncle's 2 daughters, were raised by their Mother in a religion that forbid them to enter another religion's sanctuary. When he married, they came to the reception only. 

Weather announcements on air planes. How about because that is how we have always done it? When we started long distance flights people didn't have an app on their phone that told them the rain at their location will start in 30 min and stop in 1.5 hours. (dark sky used it today with the kids). Not that it would have done them much good - their phone was hard wired into the their house.  I can remember leaving Houston to go to PEI. We knew the general weather Mom grew up there and we were frequent vistors - but after traveling for for 18 - 20 hours (including layovers) we had no way it know if it was clear or raining. Being an island in the gulf stream that can change quickly, and on PEI you walk across the tarmac to the terminal. (We had umbrellas in our carry-ons just in case.)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9604 on: August 14, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »
Inspired by a post on the What real life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to? thread.

Two horrible child abusers were captured. They deserve to have the pain they caused those children downloaded into their minds on a continuous loop. Lets make it clear I'm not defending them in any way.

I'm just puzzled about why having a bed with a plywood bottom is child abuse. It is listed along with the horrific things these monsters did to these children so that the sentence sounds like an the arson, murder and Jaywalking trope.

My family has a set of twin beds, made by my great grandfather. They are slat beds. The long sides of the bed are connected by slats and the mattress rests on that. Similar to this but ours doesn't have the blocks between the slats.

When Cousin C took one of the beds (Stored at our farm anyone who needs them just sends out a blast telling others s/he is picking them up) for J to use - she remembered how occasionally to much playing on the bed would cause the slats to shift and eventually the mattress would fall through the frame.

Given that the bed was going to fill 1/2 the room (they lived in a tiny house one of the old factory worker's houses out by the sugar factory), she knew the bed would also be a play area. So instead of slats she and her husband had pieces of plywood cut. It was stacked (grain going different ways) so it was the same thickness of the slats but couldn't sift so easily. The bed was perfectly comfortable.

magicdomino

« Reply #9605 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
Your family put a mattress on the plywood.  The Barretas couldn't be bothered.  Also, the cribs in question were never cleaned, leaving the plywood stained.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9606 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
Your family put a mattress on the plywood.  The Barretas couldn't be bothered.  Also, the cribs in question were never cleaned, leaving the plywood stained.

Exactly.  A mattress makes a difference!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9607 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
That went right over my head - I would have said kids were sleeping on plywood not plywood based bed. I just read the Marshall's page not any other articles.

Betelnut

« Reply #9608 on: August 14, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
I just got back from a great trip with a group.  Someone from the group emailed me this:

I set up a Facebook page 2014 Guatemala Families Vacation. I need your info for facebook to invite you to join. Please email your contact info.

What does she mean?  Can't she just look up my name (she knows where I live and other salient bits about me). 

My ignorance about FB is showing as I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be sending her...?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9609 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »
I just got back from a great trip with a group.  Someone from the group emailed me this:

I set up a Facebook page 2014 Guatemala Families Vacation. I need your info for facebook to invite you to join. Please email your contact info.

What does she mean?  Can't she just look up my name (she knows where I live and other salient bits about me). 

My ignorance about FB is showing as I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be sending her...?

I don't know what she's asking, either. You could send her the link to your page.  It should be something like www.facebook.com/first.lastname (unless you've set it up with a nickname)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9610 on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »

Check your privacy settings.  You may not be searchable.  I'm not.  So even if people know my name and other information,they can't find me via a facebook search.

I would just email her back and request the link to the facebook page.  If it's a private group/page, it will say that and give you the option to request an invitation.  This way, you can join the page, and she will have your facebook contact information

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9611 on: August 15, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
DH took DS to open house at DS' high school. He is a junior this year.

In his Algebra II class, he was told by the teacher he needed scientific pencils. I've taken some pretty advanced math courses, and have never heard of scientific pencils. I did search online and couldn't find anything, so I think she merged 'scientific calculator' and 'pencils'.

Any guesses?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9612 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

In his Algebra II class, he was told by the teacher he needed scientific pencils. I've taken some pretty advanced math courses, and have never heard of scientific pencils. I did search online and couldn't find anything, so I think she merged 'scientific calculator' and 'pencils'.

Any guesses?

Maybe she meant mechanical pencils?

Carotte

« Reply #9613 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »

Any guesses?

Maybe she meant mechanical pencils?

She probably merged 'scientific calculator' and mechanical pencils, and since both would be beneficial to your son for this class that's what I would get him.
The only other thing I can think of would be a blue and a red pencil to differenciate different parts of a fonction/problem/thingy but I wouldn't have called that a "scientific pencil"...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9614 on: August 15, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
We are quite the collectors of writing implements, so he has it all, including art pencils, which he won't need this year.