News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2550415 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9630 on: September 07, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
What is fantasy football and how is it played?

Sorry, this is probably a very silly question but I keep coming across fantasy football. I tried googling but all the results left me more perplexed than ever.

You create your own dream team out of existing players, and then your team performs based on the performance of those players throughout the season.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9631 on: September 07, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »

Sorry, this is probably a very silly question but I keep coming across fantasy football. I tried googling but all the results left me more perplexed than ever.

You create your own dream team out of existing players, and then your team performs based on the performance of those players throughout the season.

So the players are basically just keeping up with stats and not how their chosen players would interact with each other?

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9632 on: September 07, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
I am not sure of the intricacies, but in broad strokes, I think it's stats plus perceived abilities?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9633 on: September 07, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

So the players are basically just keeping up with stats and not how their chosen players would interact with each other?

You choose players from separate teams based on their position (runningback, quarterback, et cetera) and place them in the empty slot on your team until all spots are filled.

When that player, in real life, plays a game, he is given points based on his stats in that game (yards, tackles, touchdowns, et cetera).  Once all games have been played for that week, those points are totaled for your score.  Repeat the following week and so on.  Your score from each week is totaled and whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins.

guihong

« Reply #9634 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »

You choose players from separate teams based on their position (runningback, quarterback, et cetera) and place them in the empty slot on your team until all spots are filled.

When that player, in real life, plays a game, he is given points based on his stats in that game (yards, tackles, touchdowns, et cetera).  Once all games have been played for that week, those points are totaled for your score.  Repeat the following week and so on.  Your score from each week is totaled and whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins.

Also, many times the players don't actually play with or against one another in real life, unless you have some players from the same team or division.  It's more like forming a Dream Team from all the teams.  Then, as the players play their game, they earn points for TD's, catches, sacks, etc.  Your fantasy team can also be in a league with other people's fantasy teams and you "play" against one another.

Some of these are for pay, but I belong to a league from NFL.com which is free.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9635 on: September 07, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
Thank you! It sounds a little odd to me but sports statistics aren't a big thing around here.

So, guihong, how is your team doing?

guihong

« Reply #9636 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
Thank you! It sounds a little odd to me but sports statistics aren't a big thing around here.

So, guihong, how is your team doing?

Still a lot more games to go this weekend, but so far I'm "winning"  my head-to-head game  ;D.

Carotte

« Reply #9637 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
"Pro" bra-fitting question, when you go somewhere to get fitted by someone (who should know how to do it), is it donne without a bra?
Can you wear a bra-less camisole for maximum accuracy/minimum undressed level? 

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9638 on: September 17, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
"Pro" bra-fitting question, when you go somewhere to get fitted by someone (who should know how to do it), is it donne without a bra?

I've only gotten a bra fitting done once, at a Victoria's Secret store. The saleswoman asked if I preferred her to do the measurement right there (over my current bra and shirt*) or go to a fitting room first. I said either was fine, and she chose to measure over the clothes. Then she brought me to a fitting room and got me a selection of bras in the appropriate size based on what I said I wanted. Once I tried them on, she asked how I liked the fit. For me, the fit was good, so I just had to tell her which styles I wanted to buy. If the first round hadn't fit, I assume she would have fine-tuned the fitting procedure from there. (Or if I hadn't been sure about the fit, I assume she would have been able to help me figure out whether I needed a different size.)

*In my case, I was wearing a T-shirt and (I think) a sports bra, so there wasn't a lot of extra bulk in the way. However, she didn't ask about what type of bra I was wearing. I assume if someone came in wearing a padded or push-up bra that they would need to take it off for a good measurement, but I don't know how she would have handled that situation.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #9639 on: September 17, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
I was told to go in your best fitting bra. I think it depends on how big and old you are. If you are bigger and/or older, they wouldn't be in the right spot for measuring. If you are small and perky, they would be in the right spot without a bra and you could get a good measurement.

mmswm

« Reply #9640 on: September 17, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
New question:  How do you get silly putty out of fabric?  Specifically a bed sheet that's been through the washer and dryer with the silly putting attached. I've tried putting the sheet in the freezer, but the silly putty warms up too fast to get any decent amount off, and I've tried WD-40, but that seems to just smear it around a little.  Any other thoughts?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #9641 on: September 17, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »
There is an online bra company that sends you "cups" and "bands" to try on.

If you sew and know the approximate size range, there are patterns that you can buy - then trace the band out and use it the same way...

I recommend Elan and Kwik Sew patterns.  There might be vintage patterns from the 1970s or so called "Sew Lovely" available as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:12:47 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #9642 on: September 17, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »
New question:  How do you get silly putty out of fabric?  Specifically a bed sheet that's been through the washer and dryer with the silly putting attached. I've tried putting the sheet in the freezer, but the silly putty warms up too fast to get any decent amount off, and I've tried WD-40, but that seems to just smear it around a little.  Any other thoughts?

Maybe this will help?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006051012324

mmswm

« Reply #9643 on: September 17, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
Thanks.  I did try that already.  Maybe I didn't use enough or let is sit long enough?  It just doesn't seem to be taking any of it off.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JoW

« Reply #9644 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
A professional dry cleaner can remove it, but its not cheap.  If the sheet is old consider replacing it.