Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065736 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9630 on: August 17, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
What do others know of naming customs?  Curious here.
In Zulu/Xhosa traditions, a child will be named by the paternal grandfather, with no input from the parents. Names aren't really just words like "Katherine" or "Emily", they are words with direct meanings (like Chastity or Mercy). The child can be named along a number of different themes including:

- named after famous people (e.g. Nelson Mandela was named after Lord Nelson, Kaiser for Kaiser Wilhelm is another common one.)

- named after aspirations of what they want the child to become (e.g. Doctor Kumalo, and I've worked with a Sheriff)

- named after the character they want the child to have (e.g. Nhlanhla means lucky, Dumisile means praised)

- named after something happening around the time of the child's birth (so if you have a lot of children, you might name the new baby Anele, which means enough. Or if you want more, you might name the child Andile which means to multiply. If a child is born in a difficult time in the family's life, they might name it Ayanda meaning the family are arguing)

- named in response to the birth of the child (e.g. Bongiwe meaning we are grateful, Dumazile meaning she disappoints).

There's a nice long list of names with meanings here to give you some idea of the diversity:
http://namesforafrica.wordpress.com/zulu-girl-names/

Imagine going through life named "Disappointment" or "FamilyArgument".  :P
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9631 on: August 17, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
...Imagine going through life named "Disappointment" or "FamilyArgument".  :P

:'(

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9632 on: August 17, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »

I don't know about the boys' names, but the reason for those four girls' names are (retrospectively) fairly obvious.  Anne and Mary are the most common saint names for girls, so they showed up a lot.  Elizabeth and Katherine were both very common because they each have so many variations.  You could have an entire football team of Katherine Elizabeths, with each having a different, name-derived nickname.
It was also common to name your child after the currently reigning monarchs.  Henry VIII's fifth and sixth queens, Catherine Howard and Kathryn Parr, were both named for his first queen, Katharine of Aragon.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9633 on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
I am stupid from sleep deprivation, so can anyone help me understand this exchange?

Our travel office recently changed its policy. We used to have to submit both authorization and reimbursement forms to the Dean's office for approval before submitting them to the travel office. The new policy is that authorizations don't have to be submitted to the Dean's office first. So yesterday I filled out a bunch of reimbursement forms and sent them to the Dean's office. Today I get an email from the department budget guy.

Him: We no longer need to get the Dean's office to sign travel authorizations or reimbursements.

Me: Thanks, that's good to know. I thought that was only for authorizations, not reimbursements.

Him: Yes, you are correct. The new policy only applies to authorizations.

Me: OK, so I do still need to submit reimbursements to the Dean's office?

Him: No, send them directly to the travel office.

??? ??? ???
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9634 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »
I am stupid from sleep deprivation, so can anyone help me understand this exchange?

Our travel office recently changed its policy. We used to have to submit both authorization and reimbursement forms to the Dean's office for approval before submitting them to the travel office. The new policy is that authorizations don't have to be submitted to the Dean's office first. So yesterday I filled out a bunch of reimbursement forms and sent them to the Dean's office. Today I get an email from the department budget guy.

Him: We no longer need to get the Dean's office to sign travel authorizations or reimbursements.

Me: Thanks, that's good to know. I thought that was only for authorizations, not reimbursements.

Him: Yes, you are correct. The new policy only applies to authorizations.

Me: OK, so I do still need to submit reimbursements to the Dean's office?

Him: No, send them directly to the travel office.

??? ??? ???

I would send back a quick message

Hi [DBG],

In your initial message you stated "We no longer need to get the Dean's office to sign travel authorizations or reimbursements." However in your follow up message you stated " The new policy only applies to authorizations.".  These seem to be two totally different policies.  Can you please clarify which forms, if any, need to be sent to the Dean's office first? 

Thanks,

Bexx

I'd copy and paste his actual wording that way there's no confusion with paraphrasing

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9635 on: August 22, 2014, 05:02:44 PM »
I'm reading the website notalwaysright today and I don't understand this one:
http://notalwaysright.com/life-through-an-outrageous-lens/39359

What kind of revenge is buying something and turning around to return it right away? People do this all the time when they change their minds.

Also, does this behavior really affect credit ratings?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9636 on: August 22, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »

What kind of revenge is buying something and turning around to return it right away? People do this all the time when they change their minds.

I think that the customer is trying to make the company spend money by paying the people who sell her the stuff then paying the people who are working with her on returning the stuff to inventory.

It might not do anything to her credit history - I'm not an expert.

But I do remember seeing an article on a number of retail businesses changing their practices to track returns and trying to limit the number of returns that a customer can do.  Apparently it is really bad in some expensive purchases where something will be bought, used briefly, then returned - in effect the customer is trying to "rent" the product...and some of the stores are tired of it. 

Others may charge a small "restocking" fee unless the item is defective or still sealed...

But I don't do enough returns to keep track of most company's return policies.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9637 on: August 22, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »

I don't know if it can affect credit ratings but such behavior can trigger fraud alerts on some cards. I bought a pair of pants. I was signing the screen when the clerk noticed something wrong. She had to do a return/exchange. I was walking out of the store - when the fraud department from my bank called.

I had recently changed my address, ordered new checks, and then tried to buy a computer with the checks. That had tripped a fraud department. So my account had more sensitive trigger at the time. I was also getting called every time my amazon instant season passes went through. (I buy gift cards from the grocery store and get gas points now).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9638 on: August 22, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

I think that the customer is trying to make the company spend money by paying the people who sell her the stuff then paying the people who are working with her on returning the stuff to inventory.

It might not do anything to her credit history - I'm not an expert.

But I do remember seeing an article on a number of retail businesses changing their practices to track returns and trying to limit the number of returns that a customer can do.  Apparently it is really bad in some expensive purchases where something will be bought, used briefly, then returned - in effect the customer is trying to "rent" the product...and some of the stores are tired of it. 

Others may charge a small "restocking" fee unless the item is defective or still sealed...

But I don't do enough returns to keep track of most company's return policies.

I don't know about the credit rating. But if she immediately walks over to customer service without leaving the store, she's not doing anything but wasting her own time. Both the service people and the sales people are paid to be there whether she returns it or not, so the store does not gain or lose anything by her foolishness.

If people return something they might have used, it is more of a loss, since we can't usually put it back on the shelf. And if they return certain flagged items such as game systems, the unit has to be totally sealed and checked over. There have been too many people buying things and ripping the guts out, then returning an empty shell to the store. IIRC, I think we even have to call in the serial number to make sure it isn't a stolen one.

Some stores do red flag certain customers for possible return fraud (too many returns, odd returns) or other such issues. So that could go badly for her if she ever wanted to return anything in the future. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kckgirl

« Reply #9639 on: August 22, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »
My son was the unlucky shopper at Best Buy who bought a game system in a sealed box only to find upon opening it that there was an old system in the box. Someone had obviously bought a new system, put their old one in the box, and returned it to the store for a refund, thereby getting a free replacement. When DS went back, they accused him of being the one who did it, refused to give him a refund or new game system, and only relented because he wouldn't leave and got louder and louder. Before he left the store, he made the customer service representative open the box in front of him to be sure there was actually a new system inside. Now, I refuse to shop at Best Buy, but I also open boxes either in the store or in the parking lot to avoid any problems.
Maryland

Betelnut

« Reply #9640 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
If you have frozen some bananas to use later in banana bread (or whatever), what is the best method for defrosting them or using them?  Sitting out on the counter? Can I use the "defrost" feature of my microwave? Just mash them up frozen and then assume (probably correctly) that making the banana bread will thaw them enough?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9641 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
If you have frozen some bananas to use later in banana bread (or whatever), what is the best method for defrosting them or using them?  Sitting out on the counter? Can I use the "defrost" feature of my microwave? Just mash them up frozen and then assume (probably correctly) that making the banana bread will thaw them enough?

I let them thaw at room temperature.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9642 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

Doesn't matter how you thaw them - microwave (in small increments, medium power, poking at them in between) or in a bag of warm water or just at room temperature.  They're not going to spoil or cook if parts of them get hotter than others.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9643 on: August 22, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »

I put them in warm water.  I've also used the microwave successfully as well

Redsoil

« Reply #9644 on: August 23, 2014, 08:17:35 AM »
Interesting perspectives on the naming issue - especially the Zulu/Xhosa tradition!

Another question.

I often hear on various boards (primarily USA-based) that those working retail/food service etc. are not allowed to tell a customer the store is closed and they must leave.  Why on earth is that?  It seems terribly unfair that staff must stay back (one assumes, without recompense) because someone wants to browse!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!