News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 23, 2017, 03:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2296614 times)

JoW

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9645 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
A professional dry cleaner can remove it, but its not cheap.  If the sheet is old consider replacing it. 

mmswm

« Reply #9646 on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:55 AM »
The sheets are brand new.  I'd had them on my bed for a week then threw them in the wash.  I didn't realize that a kid had set a blob of silly putty on the top sheet when I bunched them all up and tossed them in the washer.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

knitwicca

« Reply #9647 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Why do pilots make announcements about the weather forecast at the flight destination? (snip)

To give people something to talk about? ;D

I, too, appreciate the weather reports. It gives me something to look forward to especially when I'm flying from a cold/snowy climate to a beautiful sunny 75 degrees.

IME, the pilot isn't giving a forecast, but telling what the weather *is* at the present time as we land at the destination. It isn't something the pilot goes on and on about, or mentions throughout the flight, but as we descend toward the destination, it's nice to know what to expect when we step off the plane and out of the airport.

My last flight was returning from the other end of a road trip. I'd left in January from a northern state (temps in the teens, snow, etc), driven south to the bottom of the US, stayed in southern states for a couple weeks, then flown back north. I hadn't brought my heavy coat, because I'd packed for the warm trip. Being reminded as we landed that I would step outside at midnight to -20 windchill helped me brace myself for the shock to the system after a warm couple of weeks.

One of the biggest things that a pilot-in-training is taught is to check the weather at the destination, along the route, get in-flight updates, look at the types of cloud formations ahead....literally hours and hours of training. Some pilots are better forecasters than the local tv weatherperson.
We tend to forget that not everyone is as fascinated by those lovely cirrus to the left of the plane nor unhappy about the cumulus ahead.

Betelnut

« Reply #9648 on: September 18, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
I'm currently reading a book about fishing, a subject I know little about. (I like reading books about topics I'm not familiar with so I can peek into another's person's world for a bit.)  Anyway, the books is a bit more technical than I thought it would be so here's my basic question:

What is the difference between reel fishing and fly fishing?  He makes it sound like there are two schools (LOL) of fresh water fishing.  Fly fishers don't use a reel at all?  How do they pull the fish in then?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9649 on: September 18, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
I'm currently reading a book about fishing, a subject I know little about. (I like reading books about topics I'm not familiar with so I can peek into another's person's world for a bit.)  Anyway, the books is a bit more technical than I thought it would be so here's my basic question:

What is the difference between reel fishing and fly fishing?  He makes it sound like there are two schools (LOL) of fresh water fishing.  Fly fishers don't use a reel at all?  How do they pull the fish in then?

With fly fishing, you have a long length of line attached to the rod, and casting is a delicate skill which involves flicking the line just so and making it land in exactly the right place.  There is still (usually) a reel, but you're relying more on wrist motion to get it right.  With reel fishing, you're counting on the weight of the line and the lure to pull the line off the spool as you cast.

Twik

« Reply #9650 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
Also, part of fly fishing is to make the fly move across the surface of the water like a real insect, rather than sinking into the water, as typical reel-fishing bait does (even if such bait may then be trolled to simulate food at lower depths).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9651 on: September 18, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
I have a few facebook friends that I know in real life that do something that is so odd to me.

Every week or so, both of them will post pictures and specifics about an item with a price. For example, t-shirts their kids can't wear or a Halloween costume. Usually, it is shared a few times with notes that they really want to sell particular item. I'm not sure that one friend ever sells anything, as I just see the shared pictures.

This is just bizarre to me. Craigslist or Ebay are perfect places to sell items from individual to individual.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9652 on: September 18, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »
regarding fly vs. reel fishing, the best way to understand is to watch YouTube videos of fly fishing, and then 'deep sea' reel fishing - you can actively see the difference there.
My Dad is a reel fishing enthusiast, and thinks that fly fishermen are 'mad' because that's 'too much work', whereas his brother who is a fly fisherman, is of the opinion (jokingly) that reel fishermen are 'lazy'. They have many enthusiastic debates about one vs. the other and happily eat the fish that the other catches.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

marcel

« Reply #9653 on: September 18, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »
I have a few facebook friends that I know in real life that do something that is so odd to me.

Every week or so, both of them will post pictures and specifics about an item with a price. For example, t-shirts their kids can't wear or a Halloween costume. Usually, it is shared a few times with notes that they really want to sell particular item. I'm not sure that one friend ever sells anything, as I just see the shared pictures.

This is just bizarre to me. Craigslist or Ebay are perfect places to sell items from individual to individual.
You can simply add facebook to your list of major marketplace websites. If people want to buy or sell secondhand stuff now they are as likely to go there as to the sites which have a pure Marketplace function. Most likely these people have posted the stuff on a dedicated group and just share with their friends as well.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

HiverFleur

« Reply #9654 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »

You can simply add facebook to your list of major marketplace websites. If people want to buy or sell secondhand stuff now they are as likely to go there as to the sites which have a pure Marketplace function. Most likely these people have posted the stuff on a dedicated group and just share with their friends as well.

There are also a lot of local FB garage sale pages that are open/public groups. They are probably posting on that page and it's showing in the feed.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9655 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
It's just on her page, not sent to a group. She complains she doesn't get buyers, so I don't get it.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

dawnfire

« Reply #9656 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »
It's just on her page, not sent to a group. She complains she doesn't get buyers, so I don't get it.
you need to direct her to those groups
Whittlesea Victoria

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9657 on: September 18, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »

why should the OP be responsible for that?  Those groups aren't hard to find on facebook if you search for them.  google/bing even index those results

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9658 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »

why should the OP be responsible for that?  Those groups aren't hard to find on facebook if you search for them.  google/bing even index those results

The OP is not responsible for that. However, the FB poster doesn't seem to know that those groups exist and telling her about them would be a kindness requiring almost no effort from the OP.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #9659 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

I have a different possible motivation.  It is a lot easier to sell to people you know...you don't have to give away any personal info to a stranger (address, local, e-mail, etc.) and you possibly don't have to go stand in line at the post office, package up anything for shipping, so on and so forth.