Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1120212 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9645 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Interesting perspectives on the naming issue - especially the Zulu/Xhosa tradition!

Another question.

I often hear on various boards (primarily USA-based) that those working retail/food service etc. are not allowed to tell a customer the store is closed and they must leave.  Why on earth is that?  It seems terribly unfair that staff must stay back (one assumes, without recompense) because someone wants to browse!

I have no idea. The places I worked made announcements starting about 30 minutes prior to closing. "Thank you for shopping  at X. Our store will be closing on XX minutes. Please make your final selections and come to the front of the store for checkout." 10 minutes out they would start turning off the extra lighting to hussle people along and have someone make sweeps and direct stragglers to the checkout lanes.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #9646 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
TThey are supposed to be paying you if you are still working- it's the law. I think it's a "we don't want to hurt potential customers' feelings" thing.  I think it's idiotic to not tell browsers myself.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9647 on: August 23, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »
Interesting perspectives on the naming issue - especially the Zulu/Xhosa tradition!

Another question.

I often hear on various boards (primarily USA-based) that those working retail/food service etc. are not allowed to tell a customer the store is closed and they must leave.  Why on earth is that?  It seems terribly unfair that staff must stay back (one assumes, without recompense) because someone wants to browse!

It depends. When we close the theater, it's 15 minutes after the last show starts, and we leave one drink station on while doing closing procedure so people can get refills. There's sometimes people who come in right at closing time, when all registers have been pulled, but it doesn't happen often. The mall we're in closes either at 9 (Monday - Saturday) or 6 (Sunday), so that helps with that as well (also, I doubt most people would want to go out past 10:30 for a movie unless it's a premiere). We do tell people if it's close to closing time so they can get their food before everything gets shut down.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

TeamBhakta

« Reply #9648 on: August 23, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
Was watching Last Tango In Halifax and noticed the characters would occasionally say "He were happy" or "He were going to university" instead of "He was." Why do they do that ? Is it common just in that area of England ?   

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9649 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
For those of you who belong to a health club with a whirlpool, where would be a logical place for a button or switch to turn it on?  My club has whirlpools both out on the pool deck and in the locker room (off in a room with the sauna/steam room), and while warm water is pleasant, I can't find where to turn it on.  I feel so stupid asking an employee :-[

I'm thinking of sending DH into the men's locker room and having him find it.  It's probably the same setup.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9650 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Was watching Last Tango In Halifax and noticed the characters would occasionally say "He were happy" or "He were going to university" instead of "He was." Why do they do that ? Is it common just in that area of England ?
As far as I know, yes that is common up there.

Isn't it a great show? I loved them all.

Victoria

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9651 on: August 23, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »

Another question.

Misguided ideas of customer service/the customer is always right. My Dad always said that restaurants should list 2 closing times. When the kitchen closed (last orders could go in) and when the dinning room closed (an hour to 90 minutes after the kitchen) and you needed to get your rear out the door.

My Dad was friends with a bunch of restaurant owners. Part because he was in the beer business, and part because of my Grandparents owning a grocery store in Downtown Houston from early 30's - 50's, and my grandfather being involved with development/land deals in the Hill Country.

I can remember being in many small restaurants after closing at the invitation of the owner. The owner would sit down with my parents to have coffee and talk. Sis would be asleep on the table, I would get extra ice cream and sometimes apple pie. The lights would be mostly off, place closed for over an hour (employees sent home unless they were the owners' family then they would be with us), and people would still bang on the door demanding to be served.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JoW

« Reply #9652 on: August 23, 2014, 11:30:51 PM »
For those of you who belong to a health club with a whirlpool, where would be a logical place for a button or switch to turn it on?  My club has whirlpools both out on the pool deck and in the locker room (off in a room with the sauna/steam room), and while warm water is pleasant, I can't find where to turn it on.  I feel so stupid asking an employee :-[

I'm thinking of sending DH into the men's locker room and having him find it.  It's probably the same setup.
Its always out of reach for someone in the hot tub.  I think that's for electrical safety.  Look on the walls near but not too near the hot tub.  Or ask another member, ideally one you see in the hot tub. 

Most of the hot tubs I've seen its not a button, its a timer with a dial.  You turn it on by turning the indicator on the timer.  My current club its buttons marked 15, 10, 5, and "off" so its still a timer. 

perpetua

« Reply #9653 on: August 24, 2014, 12:36:30 AM »

It's just local dialect, similar to how some Americans say 'putting something up' instead of 'putting something away', or 'y'all' instead of 'everybody' - etc. Very common pattern of speech in the north of England.

Barney girl

« Reply #9654 on: August 24, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
I've been having my shower room refitted. The builders had intended starting last Monday, but another job ran on, so they got in touch to say it wouldn't be until the Tuesday. We saw each other briefly for me to pass on the key as I was going away for the rest of the week on Monday.  I'd understood they'd be spending the week stripping everything out, but have got back today to find the tiles are up, but not grouted. There a few feature tiles of vaguely Chinese style fish. http://www.bathstore.com/products/v-a-fish-panel-4-set-decor-152x152-10001001280.html These are sold as a border, but I wanted them scattered as feature tiles. The man in the shop pointed out to me they are pairs ie there is a repeating pattern of four tiles, but they can be grouped in twos, so that was how I'd wanted them. The problem is that I'd not yet discussed that with the builders and they've scattered them singly, not realising that there is a tail on one tile which matches with a fish on another. They'll not be back until Tuesday as tomorrow is a Bank Holiday. Does anyone know if it will be feasible to remove those tiles and put them back in the right place, or am I stuck with it? It's my fault as I should have made sure they knew about it and I can live with it as it is, but it would be useful to know it it's worth discussing with them.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9655 on: August 24, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
Hey Barney girl,
This is why I often leave written instructions for this kind of thing, usually with diagrams too.
I'd suggest (if you can) contact the company as soon as possible, but be aware that you might have to buy more of the feature tiles because taking them off the tile glue will inevitably break them.
It's good that you've caught this before they've been grouted, but unless you left instructions for how you wanted them laid, you may have to pay the extra cost for replacement feature tiles as well as extra plain ones to go into the gaps.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9656 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »

There may be a switch on the wall.  I would go and ask the the staff. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9657 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Is it true that schools in the US South moved the start of school to beginning mid August instead of September  in an effort to stop outbreaks of polio, cholera, and sleeping sickness?

When asked by newcomers why we started school so early, my Dad, Aunt, Grandparents and other relatives their ages (school aged to adult during the Depression) always gave the same story.

Before the vaccine was developed,  Doctors and the health department saw a spike in Polio mid to late August and into September. There was also a spike in cholera, and sleeping sickness. Because cholera and sleeping sickness are associated with unclean/stagnate water, it was believed that all three spikes were because kids were swimming in the creeks and bayous to cool off - and lower rainfall during that month meant the creeks and bayous weren't being flushed out.

A couple of years where there was lots of tropical activity so a storm or hurricane hit there was not a spike. So after trying to keep the kids out of the water and failing, the adults moved up the date of school starting.

I know it was moved back to after Labor day when HB 72 was passed in spring/summer 1984 - and that part of the law went into effect in the 1985 - 86 school year. Then the starting date was moved back to mid August a while later because families complained about kids not getting out till mid June, instead of before Memorial Day weekend.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9658 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Is it true that schools in the US South moved the start of school to beginning mid August instead of September  in an effort to stop outbreaks of polio, cholera, and sleeping sickness?

When asked by newcomers why we started school so early, my Dad, Aunt, Grandparents and other relatives their ages (school aged to adult during the Depression) always gave the same story.

Before the vaccine was developed,  Doctors and the health department saw a spike in Polio mid to late August and into September. There was also a spike in cholera, and sleeping sickness. Because cholera and sleeping sickness are associated with unclean/stagnate water, it was believed that all three spikes were because kids were swimming in the creeks and bayous to cool off - and lower rainfall during that month meant the creeks and bayous weren't being flushed out.

A couple of years where there was lots of tropical activity so a storm or hurricane hit there was not a spike. So after trying to keep the kids out of the water and failing, the adults moved up the date of school starting.

I know it was moved back to after Labor day when HB 72 was passed in spring/summer 1984 - and that part of the law went into effect in the 1985 - 86 school year. Then the starting date was moved back to mid August a while later because families complained about kids not getting out till mid June, instead of before Memorial Day weekend.

I always assumed it had something to do with the schools (at least around here) being air-conditioned - safer than sitting at home without A/C, for kids whose homes don't have it.  I'm used to Wisconsin, where state law says you can't start before labor day.  (Major tourism industry + lots of high-school workers --> if schools started earlier, a lot of tourist areas would lose their workforce before the last big weekend of the year.)

drzim

« Reply #9659 on: August 25, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »

I always assumed it had something to do with the schools (at least around here) being air-conditioned - safer than sitting at home without A/C, for kids whose homes don't have it.  I'm used to Wisconsin, where state law says you can't start before labor day.  (Major tourism industry + lots of high-school workers --> if schools started earlier, a lot of tourist areas would lose their workforce before the last big weekend of the year.)

POD I'd love to know the reasoning for starting school so early.....opposite of your experience, when I was growing up in Palo Alto  (SF Bay area) in the 70's and 80's the first day of school was always the Tuesday after labor day.  Now, as my DD starts high school (we live in San Francisco currently) all the schools start August 18.  No one has air conditioning here; rarely gets that hot.  Even in Palo Alto now, the schools start August 18.

Why did they change it?  It's definitely not due to hot weather/air conditioning nor disease outbreaks.