Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065784 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9660 on: August 25, 2014, 04:08:27 AM »
Here in Maryland by law students have to be in school for a specific number of days each year.  So theoretically, if school starts early, they can get out earlier in the summer. 

However, if days are missed because of the weather, then they have to stay in school extra days to make them up.  For example, the 2009-2010 school year we had a quadruple whammy.  "Snowmageddon" caused massive school shutdowns all over the state.  That led to possibly having many extra days at the end of the year to make those up.  The state legislature had to approve the kids not getting all of their make up days, otherwise they would have been in school until early July. 

oogyda

« Reply #9661 on: August 25, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »
 In Virginia, school is not allowed to start before Labor Day.  This is known as the "King's Dominion Law" (King's Dominion is a large amusement park).  The law allows for this park and several others to stay open past Labor Day and bring in the most tourist tax dollars they can squeeze out of a summer.  Much of the work force in these seasonal places is teenagers.

However, many counties obtain waivers so that they do start before then.  So, it ends up that counties in the eastern part of the state from the interstate to the shore start after Labor Day, while the rest of the state start earlier.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #9662 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
In Virginia, school is not allowed to start before Labor Day.  This is known as the "King's Dominion Law" (King's Dominion is a large amusement park).  The law allows for this park and several others to stay open past Labor Day and bring in the most tourist tax dollars they can squeeze out of a summer.  Much of the work force in these seasonal places is teenagers.

However, many counties obtain waivers so that they do start before then.  So, it ends up that counties in the eastern part of the state from the interstate to the shore start after Labor Day, while the rest of the state start earlier.

This makes me very puzzled, because my neighbors have already gone back to school?  I always thought they went to the local public school, but maybe they go to a private school, or refer to their daycare as "school."  Interesting!  I'd heard somewhere that school started after Labor Day here but never really connected how early they mentioned going back and whether that means they aren't in public school (or does the law apply to private schools as well?).  In that case, maybe they're referring to daycare (they do before and after care) as school.

When I was a kid in the 80s, my elementary school was not air conditioned.  When I was in middle/high school in the 90s, my school was, but not all schools in the county (this was in Maryland) were.  So if the temperature got over a certain level, kids were sent home, because it was considered not safe to have so many children crowded into a school where the windows only open that little crack.  I *think* the whole county may have eventually gotten air conditioning.  I wonder if that's a factor in when the county decides to start school.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #9663 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »

This makes me very puzzled, because my neighbors have already gone back to school?  I always thought they went to the local public school, but maybe they go to a private school, or refer to their daycare as "school."  Interesting!  I'd heard somewhere that school started after Labor Day here but never really connected how early they mentioned going back and whether that means they aren't in public school (or does the law apply to private schools as well?).  In that case, maybe they're referring to daycare (they do before and after care) as school.

When I was a kid in the 80s, my elementary school was not air conditioned.  When I was in middle/high school in the 90s, my school was, but not all schools in the county (this was in Maryland) were.  So if the temperature got over a certain level, kids were sent home, because it was considered not safe to have so many children crowded into a school where the windows only open that little crack.  I *think* the whole county may have eventually gotten air conditioning.  I wonder if that's a factor in when the county decides to start school.

I'm in NOVA and my DD's (public) school started August 4. It's on a modified calendar.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9664 on: September 01, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
This happened a few years ago, but this morning's breakfast reminded me about it.

I got into a disagreement over walnuts. I can eat English walnuts, but Black walnuts make my mouth itch, my tongue tingle, GI symptoms, and my chest feel slightly tight (also,  I just feel bad for the next day or so). I had someone arguing with me that walnuts are walnuts, so if I react to one variety, I should react to them all. I do agree that it seems strange that I can eat one kind but not the other. I'm not allergic to any other tree nuts and actually often forget that I have this one weird reaction unless I see Black walnuts. Then it's like, oh yeah, I shouldn't eat those.

Has anyone else had any experience like this or known someone who has? I cannot seem to find a logical explanation as to why Black walnuts give me an allergy response, but English walnuts do not. Yet that is the case. It's their some kind of actual difference between the two that I just don't know about?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9665 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
This happened a few years ago, but this morning's breakfast reminded me about it.

I got into a disagreement over walnuts. I can eat English walnuts, but Black walnuts make my mouth itch, my tongue tingle, GI symptoms, and my chest feel slightly tight (also,  I just feel bad for the next day or so). I had someone arguing with me that walnuts are walnuts, so if I react to one variety, I should react to them all. I do agree that it seems strange that I can eat one kind but not the other. I'm not allergic to any other tree nuts and actually often forget that I have this one weird reaction unless I see Black walnuts. Then it's like, oh yeah, I shouldn't eat those.

Has anyone else had any experience like this or known someone who has? I cannot seem to find a logical explanation as to why Black walnuts give me an allergy response, but English walnuts do not. Yet that is the case. It's their some kind of actual difference between the two that I just don't know about?

Wikipedia seems to indicate that black walnuts contain juglone, while English walnuts do not. (Wikipedia may be wrong, but for what it's worth...) Perhaps you are sensitive to that?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9666 on: September 01, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
From a little googling, black walnuts have more protein, selenium, and magnesium.  They have a harder shell and a different flavor.  It seems logical to me that there might be something else in black walnuts that you might react to that isn't in English walnuts.  They *are* different species.

Edited to add: http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/cross-reactivity-black-walnut-english-walnut.aspx  This page talks about a few people who reacted to black walnuts but not English walnuts during allergy tests.  No solution was offered, though. ::)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:38:35 AM by Harriet Jones »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9667 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
From a little googling, black walnuts have more protein, selenium, and magnesium.  They have a harder shell and a different flavor.  It seems logical to me that there might be something else in black walnuts that you might react to that isn't in English walnuts.  They *are* different species.

Edited to add: http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/cross-reactivity-black-walnut-english-walnut.aspx  This page talks about a few people who reacted to black walnuts but not English walnuts during allergy tests.  No solution was offered, though. ::)

Thank you! It's nice to know that I'm not the only person this has happened to. The first letter indicated that the area their patients lived in were littered with Black walnut trees. I lived in such an area for much of my youth.

ETA I forgot to mention it in my first post, but they also smell and taste different to me as well. There is a strange bitter, almost metallic smell and taste to Black walnuts that English walnuts just don't have.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:37:09 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9668 on: September 01, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
For those of you who belong to a health club with a whirlpool, where would be a logical place for a button or switch to turn it on?  My club has whirlpools both out on the pool deck and in the locker room (off in a room with the sauna/steam room), and while warm water is pleasant, I can't find where to turn it on.  I feel so stupid asking an employee :-[

I'm thinking of sending DH into the men's locker room and having him find it.  It's probably the same setup.

There is so much water in a whirlpool that the heater usually stays on all day - we had one that seated 8 on our back porch at one house.  Never again.  It took a lot of hot water to fill it or you had to run the heater most of the day if you just filled it with one tank of hot water supplemented with tap water.

Now we have a one (maybe two) person whirlpool in the bathroom - it still takes a whole tank of hot water to mostly fill it and time to cover the jets so that you can turn the thing on without it spraying.

I did the same thing that the local gym does, I put the whirlpool jets on a twist timer (replaced a light switch eight feet - just a bit over two meters) from the whirlpool.  Smaller ones usually have a switch built in to the side of the whirlpool for the bather to use.  Larger ones, like at gyms or a resort, have some kind of timer for bathers to use and a "kill" switch to shut it off in an emergency (heater, jets, and suction to get the water to the filter).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9669 on: September 07, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
What is fantasy football and how is it played?

Sorry, this is probably a very silly question but I keep coming across fantasy football. I tried googling but all the results left me more perplexed than ever.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9670 on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »

Sorry, this is probably a very silly question but I keep coming across fantasy football. I tried googling but all the results left me more perplexed than ever.

You create your own dream team out of existing players, and then your team performs based on the performance of those players throughout the season.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9671 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

You create your own dream team out of existing players, and then your team performs based on the performance of those players throughout the season.

So the players are basically just keeping up with stats and not how their chosen players would interact with each other?

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #9672 on: September 07, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
I am not sure of the intricacies, but in broad strokes, I think it's stats plus perceived abilities?
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9673 on: September 07, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »

So the players are basically just keeping up with stats and not how their chosen players would interact with each other?

You choose players from separate teams based on their position (runningback, quarterback, et cetera) and place them in the empty slot on your team until all spots are filled.

When that player, in real life, plays a game, he is given points based on his stats in that game (yards, tackles, touchdowns, et cetera).  Once all games have been played for that week, those points are totaled for your score.  Repeat the following week and so on.  Your score from each week is totaled and whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9674 on: September 07, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

You choose players from separate teams based on their position (runningback, quarterback, et cetera) and place them in the empty slot on your team until all spots are filled.

When that player, in real life, plays a game, he is given points based on his stats in that game (yards, tackles, touchdowns, et cetera).  Once all games have been played for that week, those points are totaled for your score.  Repeat the following week and so on.  Your score from each week is totaled and whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins.

Also, many times the players don't actually play with or against one another in real life, unless you have some players from the same team or division.  It's more like forming a Dream Team from all the teams.  Then, as the players play their game, they earn points for TD's, catches, sacks, etc.  Your fantasy team can also be in a league with other people's fantasy teams and you "play" against one another.

Some of these are for pay, but I belong to a league from NFL.com which is free.