Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1013488 times)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »
I'm not breastfeeding currently, but hope to be getting pregnant again in the near future. My question is about storing breastmilk and reheating it when it's needed.  How do I do that? I've looked for the answer before, but never found anything very straightforward.

Here's a bit of info that I found on the Australian Breastfeeding Association's website-

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/express.html

it's got a guide of how to express and how to store milk safely - apparently it can be stored frozen for up to a year!

I just spoke with my Mum about this- when I was born I spent 3 months in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) so she would express milk and bring it in for me in a cooler. She says that she'd express extra and freeze it in ice cube trays (clearly marked!) so that she didn't have bottles in the freezer, and when she wanted to unfreeze the milk she'd be able to drop the cubes, knowing that it was 25 ml per cube, into a bottle and make sure that I was getting enough milk.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Everlee

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »
what a great thread!!!

i've always wondered about body washes.  do you use them instead of soap or as well as soap? 

I use it as well as soap. Soap first then body wash.

Really?  Everyone I know uses just one or the other.  I use body wash because they usually smell pretty.

I'm not breastfeeding currently, but hope to be getting pregnant again in the near future. My question is about storing breastmilk and reheating it when it's needed.  How do I do that? I've looked for the answer before, but never found anything very straightforward.

They make breast milk bags that you pour the pumped milk into.  You freeze them and take them out to thaw in the fridge overnight as you need them.  Then you just pour them into a bottle and heat.  That's what I always did anyway.

Ok, my guestion:  Do cats blink with eyelids or do they just squeeze their eyes shut?  I sat and stared at my cat for forever yesterday trying to figure this out.  It looks like a squeeze.

Ereine

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
Why do most people use cold water to brush their teeth?  In other things (our bodies, laundry, dishes, etc.) we use warm or hot water to get things cleaner.  Why don't most people use warm or hot water when cleaning their teeth too?  Is toothpaste formulated to work better with cold water?

At least here warm water isn't safe for drinking (it can have bacteria and metals, they recommend that we only use it for washing not for cooking and things like that) and at least when I brush my teeth I ingest some. Plus it doesn't taste good, to me, it wouldn't make my teeth feel freshly clean :)

Bright

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
Why do most people use cold water to brush their teeth?  In other things (our bodies, laundry, dishes, etc.) we use warm or hot water to get things cleaner.  Why don't most people use warm or hot water when cleaning their teeth too?  Is toothpaste formulated to work better with cold water?

I'm in the UK and grew up in an older house. The hot water from the bathroom wasn't really drinkable. It came from the hot water tank and could often have been sitting there a while, especially over night. Also with no mixer taps it would need to either be mixed in the sink, or you do the 'too hot too cold' dance splashing from hot water to cold water tap.  Cold water comes straight from the tap and was easier.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »

My Medela breastpump came with a little fridge magnet that reminds you how long breastmilk can be kept in certain locations (room temp., fridge, freezer in fridge, separate freezer, etc.).  It's really handy.

If I expect to use the milk within a few days, I'll just keep it in a bottle or something in the fridge.  If it's more than one serving's worth, I'll pour one serving's worth into a separate bottle.  If she's drunk from a bottle but I expect her to have some more within a few hours, I'll just put the milk back into the fridge to reuse, although you're not supposed to do that.

For milk that I want to save for a while, I freeze it.  You can freeze it in bottles or in little breastmilk freezer bags.  Some breastpumps let you pump directly into the bags; mine you have to pump into bottles, then pour the milk into the bag.  If you seal the bag well, you can lay the bag on its side to freeze so that it sort of becomes a fairly flat rectangle.  That makes them easy to stack so you can store a lot of milk.  I write on the bag with a Sharpie what the date frozen is, so I can make sure to use the oldest ones first.  Yes, you can freeze milk for a long time.  But milk also changes over time as your baby grows, so ideally you don't want to give milk pumped for a 2-month-old baby to a 9-month-old baby, even if it's technically still good.  The balance of sugars and fats, I think, is different.

To thaw the milk, you can put it in the fridge overnight if you have time.  If you need it thawed immediately, you can heat some water, then put the frozen bag/bottle into the hot water to thaw.  I do the same thing, although obviously for less time, to heat the milk up.  You'll want to shake it around a bit, obviously, to get it evenly mixed and avoid hot spots.  You're never supposed to heat it directly in the microwave.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
I don't have one right now, but I will, I'm sure!

Cyradis

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
Cyradis- I always assumed that the maids would live in shared quarters and would help each other into their corsets in the morning- plus, most maids wouldn't be able to afford whaleboned corsets so theirs wouldn't have been nearly as tight. Also, if a maid was a nanny who was in her forties, then she may not have worn a corset at all!
^ Also maids could not possibly have had corsets laced as tightly as the ladies of the house because they precluded much physical activity. Hard to scrub the stairs in a tightly laced corset! And if I understand correctly, it really wasn't looked upon kindly if maids were too attractive anyway, for obvious reasons.

I forgot about the whalebone. That all makes sense. The parlourmaid probably had to be tiny waisted and pretty but she waited at table and carried trays mainly. The housemaids had more to do. My back aches imagining scrubbing a floor in a corset.  :o
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:14:21 PM by Cyradis »

ClaireC79

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
Re breastmilk I've always gone by the 3 rule with saving it but can't remember where I got it from
3hours - room temperature
3 days - fridge
3 months - freezer (I'm sure there was a 3 weeks one which may have been freezer compartmnet in the fridge)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
About the corsets- I know one lady who puts her corset on, tightens the laces by pulling on the laces in the middle (so she has two loops), then puts the loops over a door handle and walks away. It is possible to put a corset on solo.
NE England

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

kellymom.com is a wonderful resource for anything related to breastfeeding.

When I pumped, I just put the milk in bottles in the fridge and heated them up as needed. We had a bottle warmer, which I found very convenient, but you can also just put the bottle in warm water, and some older babies are fine drinking the milk cold straight from the fridge. If I hadn't used the milk within a few days, I transferred it to the freezer in a breastmilk storage bag, labeled with the date and amount. I kept the older bags in front to use them first and rotated the milk frequently so none of it would be in the freezer too long. So every night I would bring the oldest bag or two down from the freezer to thaw for the next day, and freeze the contents of 1 or 2 bottles that were in the fridge. I did it this way so she wouldn't be drinking milk that was pumped many months ago, because the makeup of breastmilk changes as the baby ages.

Breastmilk lasts for 4-6 hours at room temperature, up to 5 days in the fridge, 3-6 months in a freezer attached to a fridge, and up to a year in a chest freezer. It can only be thawed or reheated once, so if the baby doesn't finish a bottle that was reheated from the fridge or the freezer, you have to throw the remainder away. You also can't reuse breastmilk if the baby drank directly from the bottle because the mouth bacteria contaminates the milk, although we relaxed on this after 6 months.

Also, breastmilk will separate in the fridge or freezer. To reintegrate the cream, swirl it gently, but don't shake as shaking can denature the proteins.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
About the corsets- I know one lady who puts her corset on, tightens the laces by pulling on the laces in the middle (so she has two loops), then puts the loops over a door handle and walks away. It is possible to put a corset on solo.

You know someone who wears a corset?  Is this a costume kind of thing, or does she wear one every day?

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Why does my year old male cat like to carry his little stuffed lion around in his mouth, crying? Then he'll lay it down and....hump it.

So....why does he do that? We adopted him last Feb. 12 and had him fixed last April.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »

You know someone who wears a corset?  Is this a costume kind of thing, or does she wear one every day?

Some people who start wearing corsets for ren faires and such end up wearing them more often.  They're actually rather comfortable, depending on how tightly you're laced and what kind of activity you're doing. ;)  I can lace my own corsets, but if I want it really tight, I get a friend to tighten me up afterwards.

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Now this is based on romance novels so I could be totally off base here but I believe corsets hook up the front and lace in the back.  You could have your corset laced to the point where you could then take it off and put it on by yourself from then on.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
I know I said no one would laugh at anyone in this thread, but I need to take that back for a moment. The mental image I got of this

I sat and stared at my cat for forever yesterday trying to figure this out,

did make me laugh! :D

But, I'm not laughing at your question - just that you stared at your cat like that! So, is that ok? :) What'd your cat do when you did that?!

Actually, your question is a great one. Now you have me curious, too. I hope someone has an answer (or I foresee staring at my own cats this afternoon!)