Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1023905 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
On TV, people wash their faces at the sink by cupping water in their hands and splashing it on their face to clear the soap.  Everytime I try to wash my face at the sink, water splash/drip all over my body and the floor making a big mess.  Do people wash like that in real life or just on TV?  Am I just uncoordinated?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »

Ok, my guestion:  Do cats blink with eyelids or do they just squeeze their eyes shut?  I sat and stared at my cat for forever yesterday trying to figure this out.  It looks like a squeeze.

Cats have three eyelids per eye - upper, lower, and an inner lid usually called the nictitating membrane. The inner lid is not usually seen unless the cat is sick or sleepy.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane

It would look kind of like a squeeze compared to humans, since they are shutting both upper and lower eyelids at the same time.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
On TV, people wash their faces at the sink by cupping water in their hands and splashing it on their face to clear the soap.  Everytime I try to wash my face at the sink, water splash/drip all over my body and the floor making a big mess.  Do people wash like that in real life or just on TV?  Am I just uncoordinated?

I use a washcloth. :)

judecat

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »

My mother washed her face like that,  but I'm like you -- I get water everywhere but my face.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 02:46:30 PM »

I've done it like that frequently enough that I don't make much of a mess. The secret is to get right down into the basin.  I usually do it when I'm having an allergic reaction and can't get in a shower. (Pollen/pollution/something on my skin creating both a topical and respiratory reaction). This is often a public bathroom* - so I don't want to make a dangerous situation for others/mess for staff - but I also need to get what ever it is off my skin ASAP. I can't use a paper towel as a wash cloth because that actually rubs the stuff in instead of rinsing off.

Oddly enough in 40 some years, I've only had a couple of people react negatively to this. Usually they are offering to call 911/go get the doctor they are eating/traveling with. (Looks scarier that it really is. Wash off the allergen, take emergency meds I carry with me, and drink a coke and I'm usually back to normal in 15 minutes)

*friends and family will insist I shower so I get the stuff out of my hair and borrow their clothes/or have my clothes washed by them if this starts at their houses. I usually just need a shirt so that is easy because most of my family have oversized shirts I can borrow.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

I use a washcloth. :)

I use a washcloth too, but cup and splash to rinse. It doesn't get all over, but it could be neater. If I ever get the chance to redo a bathroom, I'm going to have the sinks and counter at kithen height, and a lot bigger than the piddly bathroon sinks you generally see.

My question: Why are kitchen sinks at 42'ish inches but bathrooms at 36"?

marksgirl

• Life is Made Up of Tiny Miracles
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Do stink bugs bite? I had one land on me the other night and it sprayed me (ugh!!) and I woke up with a thing on my neck that looks like a hickey and burns when I wash it.

"Sometimes I wish I could freeze the picture and save it from the funny tricks of time"-ABBA

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »

I wash my face this way.  I do find it hard not to get any drips on my front, and my husband tells me that I make a mess even when I wash my hands, so... I don't know.  :)  I usually wash my face in the shower in the morning, so it would be more in the evening, and I would do it before changing into pjs, so if I did drip anything on my shirt, I'd be taking it off anyway.

Moonie

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Stargazer - if a cat is neutered when older, then the behaviour will already have imprinted.  Just think yourself lucky he's not actually spraying!

My kitten was neutered at 4 months.  He has never sprayed or humped anything.....but NOW, 5 months later, he has fallen "in love" with one of the dog's toys and hugs and humps it. We call it his "girlfriend".  He even puts its head in either the dog's or his own food dish.  We say that he's taking her out to dinner after he's had his way with her  ;D.  Why would he start humping NOW?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
Dotty said that we could ask anything, right?

Probably the reason I've never asked is because this might over-the-top for polite conversation. But I've always wondered . . .

What on earth did women do before modern-day monthly feminine care products?

Did they hole-up in their room for a week?

I'm especially thinking about the old-west and wagon trains, where water was scarce.

Just something that I've always wondered about. :-\

CakeBeret

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Dotty said that we could ask anything, right?

Probably the reason I've never asked is because this might over-the-top for polite conversation. But I've always wondered . . .

What on earth did women do before modern-day monthly feminine care products?

Did they hole-up in their room for a week?

I'm especially thinking about the old-west and wagon trains, where water was scarce.

Just something that I've always wondered about. :-\

I read a western-type story in which the heroine used linen towels. Seems awfully...bulky...to me.

In some cultures, women did simply hide out for the duration.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
jpcher, THANK YOU for asking that question! I've always wondered, too!

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
^ rags, I think. Washed out and re-used.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
^ rags, I think. Washed out and re-used.
Hence the slang term....

Kikki

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Now this is based on romance novels so I could be totally off base here but I believe corsets hook up the front and lace in the back.  You could have your corset laced to the point where you could then take it off and put it on by yourself from then on.

19th century natural form corsets often work that way if I'm not mistaken.
Earlier ones are only laced. My 18th century pair of stays are both front and back laced so I can get dressed on my own. I've lost a bit of weight so I need to make a new pair and they will be back laced only as I'm itching to try a new pattern. So I'm going to need either help with getting dressed or learn the door handle technique.