Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1011417 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
OK--how does everyone get their quotes in these threads to have the name of the poster above them, along with the date and time? I can hit the quote box when I type my reply, but have never figured this one out.

Sad, I know....  :)
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
^ rags, I think. Washed out and re-used.
Hence the slang term....

:o :o :D (Did you see the light bulb turn on?)

Thank you DangerMouth! I always wondered where that term came from!

eta: after re-reading, Sorry wyozozo! You were the one that clarified that term . . . just want to give credit where credit is due! Although DangerMouth started it! ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:13:00 PM by jpcher »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
happygrrl --

Hit the "quote" button (eta: at the top of the post) instead of "reply"

This brings you to the reply page with the quote already there.

another eta: Additionally, when I'm going through a thread and want to quote multiple responses, I hit the "quote" which brings me to the reply page, then I highlight and copy (command +C on the mac) return to the tread hit "quote" again which brings me to the reply page with that quote on it . . . I paste my previous quote and then copy the whole thing, so I have both quotes. Return back to the thread and continue.

I don't know if there's an easier way to do this, but this works for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:54:58 PM by jpcher »

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
I know lots of people who wear corsets, and someone who makes them...she makes absolutely gorgeous corsets! :D

Re: the old-timey rag thing, I always wondered that, too! I was reading the Love Comes Softly series, and when Missy and Willie go out West on the wagon train, I was like "oooh I wonder how she's going to handle that!" .....aaaaaaaand she didn't have to because the author conveniently made her pregnant. :P Hmph.

Also re: splashing your face, I would get water everywhere but my face.

Oh, and now I have a question. Am I the only one who doesn't brush their teeth right when they wake up? I get why you would want to, but I cannot imagine trying to eat or drink anything after with everything tasting like minty toothpaste.  :-\ Like toothpaste plus orange juice equals BLECH!
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
Hence the slang term....

:o :o :D (Did you see the light bulb turn on?)

Thank you DangerMouth! I always wondered where that term came from!

I can't believe I never made the connection either!  This makes so much sense!

SquishyMooMoo

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
Why does the A/C button light up/turn on in my car when I turn the knob to defrost (like, from blowing on my face/feet to blowing on the windshield). Should I leave it on? Does it actually help defrost the windshield faster?

Eisa

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
Why does the A/C button light up/turn on in my car when I turn the knob to defrost (like, from blowing on my face/feet to blowing on the windshield). Should I leave it on? Does it actually help defrost the windshield faster?

I think it's so it doesn't fog up the windshield...BUT I'm not sure, so probably someone else knows better than me. ;D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
The "Doorknob corset lady" does a lot of historical re-enactment, and also works as a storyteller- she was wearing one for a storytelling session.

I've got a corset myself, and am steeling myself (pun intended) to make myself a custom one. The front opening busk was developed in the 19th century as steel improved and became cheaper. You can sometimes put a corset over your head, get it into position and then lace yourself in if you need to. It depends on the corset!
NE England

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
happygrrl --

Trying this....

edited to add: jpcher--you're brilliant! Thank you!   :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:16:07 PM by happygrrl »
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
Cyradis- I always assumed that the maids would live in shared quarters and would help each other into their corsets in the morning- plus, most maids wouldn't be able to afford whaleboned corsets so theirs wouldn't have been nearly as tight. Also, if a maid was a nanny who was in her forties, then she may not have worn a corset at all!
^ Also maids could not possibly have had corsets laced as tightly as the ladies of the house because they precluded much physical activity. Hard to scrub the stairs in a tightly laced corset! And if I understand correctly, it really wasn't looked upon kindly if maids were too attractive anyway, for obvious reasons.

I forgot about the whalebone. That all makes sense. The parlourmaid probably had to be tiny waisted and pretty but she waited at table and carried trays mainly. The housemaids had more to do. My back aches imagining scrubbing a floor in a corset.  :o

In "The 1900's House" series that the BBC did, the mother was sewing and dropped her needle. She had a very difficult time bending over and getting down on the floor to pick it up, because of her corsets. I can't imagine wearing corsets to do housework--I don't even like to wear an underwire bra doing housework.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
happygrrl --

another eta: Additionally, when I'm going through a thread and want to quote multiple responses, I hit the "quote" which brings me to the reply page, then I highlight and copy (command +C on the mac) return to the tread hit "quote" again which brings me to the reply page with that quote on it . . . I paste my previous quote and then copy the whole thing, so I have both quotes. Return back to the thread and continue.

I don't know if there's an easier way to do this, but this works for me.

If you scroll down the reply page, you can see the most recent replies and there is an 'insert quote' option at the top right of each reply and it will paste that whole reply into the reply box.

Hence the slang term....

My turn for a stupid question. What slang term? I'm missing something here...

Eisa

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
^"Being on the rag" ;D
Idaho

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
I know lots of people who wear corsets, and someone who makes them...she makes absolutely gorgeous corsets! :D

Re: the old-timey rag thing, I always wondered that, too! I was reading the Love Comes Softly series, and when Missy and Willie go out West on the wagon train, I was like "oooh I wonder how she's going to handle that!" .....aaaaaaaand she didn't have to because the author conveniently made her pregnant. :P Hmph.

Oh, and now I have a question. Am I the only one who doesn't brush their teeth right when they wake up? I get why you would want to, but I cannot imagine trying to eat or drink anything after with everything tasting like minty toothpaste.  :-\ Like toothpaste plus orange juice equals BLECH!

I brush my teeth first thing on work days because I eat breakfast (ususally oatmeal) at my desk at work.  On weekends, though, I eat first and then brush my teeth.  I figure then I can get all the over night gunk and the breakfast food gunk cleaned out all at once.  Plus, toothpaste plus any juice really does equal BLECH!!

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
^"Being on the rag" ;D

Ok, not feeling dumb any more thinking I should know that....I've never heard that phrase before!

I was sitting here trying to think of every term I've ever heard for feminine products and I just couldn't think of one that had any sort of connection to rags :P I fully expected to have a 'duh' moment when I got the answer (wouldn't be the first time!).

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »

No, I'm with you on this. I think toothpaste is disgusting, and there's no way I'd ever brush my teeth before my first cuppa.

I loved the original Rembrandt, because it seemed to be 'low sudsing', but with now with 12 varieties and all of them a variation on spearment (gag :-X), it's hard to find a TP I can even tolerate.

Don't even talk to me about vanilla, strawberry, etc. :P