Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 986678 times)

Ms_Shell

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
RE: corsets, does anyone know how pregnant women managed?  Did they get a nine-month reprieve from wearing them?  Did tightly laced stays hurt the developing fetus?

Oh, I'm another one who doesn't brush my teeth until after breakfast, because it makes the food taste disgusting, and also it doesn't make much sense to me to brush and then mess my teeth up with food particles again right away, KWIM?
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
If you scroll down the reply page, you can see the most recent replies and there is an 'insert quote' option at the top right of each reply and it will paste that whole reply into the reply box.

True. But if you want to quote something earlier than what is available from the most recent replies page . . . Say that there's a 4-pg thread and you want to quote someone from Pg 2 . . . Is there a way to do this? Once you're in "reply" mode?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
If you scroll down the reply page, you can see the most recent replies and there is an 'insert quote' option at the top right of each reply and it will paste that whole reply into the reply box.

True. But if you want to quote something earlier than what is available from the most recent replies page . . . Say that there's a 4-pg thread and you want to quote someone from Pg 2 . . . Is there a way to do this? Once you're in "reply" mode?

If you want to quote someone from page 2 and page 4, you can go to page 2 and hit quote. It will take you to the 'reply' page. Then look for the quote from page 4 and hit 'insert quote'.

If you want to quote someone from every page of a twenty-page thread... perhaps you are reading too much Ehell. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

HorseFreak

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
Why does the A/C button light up/turn on in my car when I turn the knob to defrost (like, from blowing on my face/feet to blowing on the windshield). Should I leave it on? Does it actually help defrost the windshield faster?

I think it's so it doesn't fog up the windshield...BUT I'm not sure, so probably someone else knows better than me. ;D

The AC dehumidifies the air being blown on the windshield so your defogging attempt isn't counterproductive. :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
If you want to quote someone from every page of a twenty-page thread... perhaps you are reading too much Ehell. ;D

You owe me a screen cleaner . . . LOLOLOLOLOL!

;D

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »
^"Being on the rag" ;D

Ok, not feeling dumb any more thinking I should know that....I've never heard that phrase before!

I was sitting here trying to think of every term I've ever heard for feminine products and I just couldn't think of one that had any sort of connection to rags :P I fully expected to have a 'duh' moment when I got the answer (wouldn't be the first time!).

Also, apparently the origin for "ragtime" music.  In many, er, houses of pleasure during that era, the young ladies who were indisposed and therefore unable to see individual customers at that particular time entertained by playing the piano instead.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
Why does the A/C button light up/turn on in my car when I turn the knob to defrost (like, from blowing on my face/feet to blowing on the windshield). Should I leave it on? Does it actually help defrost the windshield faster?

I think it's so it doesn't fog up the windshield...BUT I'm not sure, so probably someone else knows better than me. ;D

The AC dehumidifies the air being blown on the windshield so your defogging attempt isn't counterproductive. :)

Cool! Thanks, horsphreak! Now maybe I can get my carpool buddy to stop freaking out about his 'malfunctioning' AC.

You owe me a screen cleaner . . . LOLOLOLOLOL!

;D

Oops! Sorry! ;D Maybe this would be a good time for me to ask how to properly clean monitor screens. ;)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Cyradis- I always assumed that the maids would live in shared quarters and would help each other into their corsets in the morning- plus, most maids wouldn't be able to afford whaleboned corsets so theirs wouldn't have been nearly as tight. Also, if a maid was a nanny who was in her forties, then she may not have worn a corset at all!
^ Also maids could not possibly have had corsets laced as tightly as the ladies of the house because they precluded much physical activity. Hard to scrub the stairs in a tightly laced corset! And if I understand correctly, it really wasn't looked upon kindly if maids were too attractive anyway, for obvious reasons.

I forgot about the whalebone. That all makes sense. The parlourmaid probably had to be tiny waisted and pretty but she waited at table and carried trays mainly. The housemaids had more to do. My back aches imagining scrubbing a floor in a corset.  :o

In "The 1900's House" series that the BBC did, the mother was sewing and dropped her needle. She had a very difficult time bending over and getting down on the floor to pick it up, because of her corsets. I can't imagine wearing corsets to do housework--I don't even like to wear an underwire bra doing housework.

the bending in corsets thing is sooo overblown

I know a lady that wears heavy corsets with her SCA garb and I watch her put up and take down tents and all manner of other work in what to me would seem to be a very constricting garment.  http://www.elizabethancostume.net/effigy.htm  this is her and the garment in question.  and when I said something to the effect of how do you move? she reached down and touched her toes (standing)

so I guess a lot has to do with how it is made and is it made for YOU
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Cyradis

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
RE: corsets, does anyone know how pregnant women managed?  Did they get a nine-month reprieve from wearing them?  Did tightly laced stays hurt the developing fetus?

Oh, I'm another one who doesn't brush my teeth until after breakfast, because it makes the food taste disgusting, and also it doesn't make much sense to me to brush and then mess my teeth up with food particles again right away, KWIM?

I think they wore their corsets as usual until they began to show. I don't know if they gave them up entirely. In one of Anne Perry's novels, Paragon Walk, one character looks critically at her great nephew's wife and thinks she's lacing herself too tightly for her stage of pregnancy. In Callander Square Charlotte Pitt, one of the main characters, is no longer wearing dresses with small waists at about five months along.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
and after they began to show they were "stuck" staying home.

re the term -- confinment for the last couple months of a pregnancy
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »

Also the miscarriage and maternal death rates were way high at that point, far more than for primitive countries, as I remember.

Part of the reason is attributed to maternal nutrution, maternal dressing (ie: corsets) but most to lack of exercise from the 'confinement' which lasted 6 months prenatally and and several weeks post natally.

The peasants in France faired far better than the elite. They had a better diet (fresh food, no sugar) and had to work.

RedDwarf

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
There were maternal corsets that  were bigger and could be loosened. They thought it was good for you though because it supported the stomach. They didn't 'tight lace' during pregnancy though. A normal corset was not tight laced unless you were one of the very fashionable young women.
http://notebookinhand.com For creative people.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
There is a reference in one of the Cranford stories about a lady being advised to wear a bandaging of some sort during her last month. The information is imparted in embarassed whispered tones by her sister to another lady- the MTB being, of course, at home.
NE England

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »

When I was pregnant and in college, I needed a doctor's letter.

The letter referred to my due date as "EDC" - "Expected Date of Confinement."

I found it interesting that such an archaic term was still around!

Everlee

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
I know I said no one would laugh at anyone in this thread, but I need to take that back for a moment. The mental image I got of this

I sat and stared at my cat for forever yesterday trying to figure this out,

did make me laugh! :D

But, I'm not laughing at your question - just that you stared at your cat like that! So, is that ok? :) What'd your cat do when you did that?!

Actually, your question is a great one. Now you have me curious, too. I hope someone has an answer (or I foresee staring at my own cats this afternoon!)

We just had a staring contest for a few minutes.  She's our little prissy cat so all I got was a dirty look out of it. 
 8)