Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024069 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
the bending in corsets thing is sooo overblown

I know a lady that wears heavy corsets with her SCA garb and I watch her put up and take down tents and all manner of other work in what to me would seem to be a very constricting garment.  http://www.elizabethancostume.net/effigy.htm  this is her and the garment in question.  and when I said something to the effect of how do you move? she reached down and touched her toes (standing)

so I guess a lot has to do with how it is made and is it made for YOU

Yup, I can bend over just fine in my corset.  And walk around outdoors all day, including an hour of marching in the Texas early summer heat. ;)  I wouldn't call it pleasant, but it can be done.  The one thing I've learned absolutely NOT to do is drink anything carbonated.  Owwwwwwwww.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Re: corsets during pregnancy:  when Scarlett O'Hara is in early pregnancy with the baby she miscarries (during the argument with Rhett), she's corseted but just starting to show around her waist.  Same with the brief glimpse of Astor's pregnant wife in Titanic; in real life she was around 4-5 months, so just starting to bulge.  Women in polite society probably "didn't go outside" later on because they had to let it hang out, so to speak  ;D

My question: How do the women on Survivor handle that time, if they're on there for more than a few weeks?  They're always running around in skimpy suits on camera.  My obvious guess is that the medical staff onsite has supplies.

At least on The Amazing Race, they're almost always near civilization.  But that would be a giant pain (no pun intended) to deal with. Maybe some kind of temporary pill?

gui

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
In place of soap - you get one of those puffy things made out of net, wet it down, squirt on some body wash, work the net thingy between your hands until you get suds, and then scrub away. It can be less drying to the skin than soap, and you also don't end up with those little bits of soap that are too small to use.
They're NEVER too small to use! :D  I regularly raid DH's shower for those slivers to use in fabric arts like quilting -- they make a wonderful marking tool to mark dark fabrics.  You get a nice thin line that doesn't brush off like chalk, but does wash off with just a bit of water.  If the edge gets dull, you take them into the bathroom and wash your hands to 'sharpen' them.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
or you do what I do -- when the little piece is wet and soft just "stick" it on another bar of soap

you get the "full bar" and use up the scrap at the same time.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
To thaw the milk, you can put it in the fridge overnight if you have time.  If you need it thawed immediately, you can heat some water, then put the frozen bag/bottle into the hot water to thaw.  I do the same thing, although obviously for less time, to heat the milk up.  You'll want to shake it around a bit, obviously, to get it evenly mixed and avoid hot spots.  You're never supposed to heat it directly in the microwave.
Absolutely NEVER NEVER NEVER! Grandson#2 was badly burned as a newborn when DD's friend put his bottle in the microwave.  It was one of those bottles that used disposable plastic bag inserts; when she took it out it exploded and showered both Friend and GS2 with milk estimated to be about 140oF (60oC). Mostly second-degree burns, but there were several spots of 3rd degree. He still has scars on his legs and is super-sensitive to pain.

And we considered it lucky that the bag DID explode.  Can you imagine what milk at that temperature would do to an infant's mouth and esophagus?  :'(
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »
Why don't fortune cookies actually have "fortunes" in them anymore? All the ones I get now (and not just from one place - different places) have proverbs or little sayings instead of fortunes.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
Why don't fortune cookies actually have "fortunes" in them anymore? All the ones I get now (and not just from one place - different places) have proverbs or little sayings instead of fortunes.

I HATE those!  I grumble every time I get a non-fortune "fortune."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

I HATE those!  I grumble every time I get a non-fortune "fortune."

Ah, yes. But sometimes so appropriate. We have one posted on the board at our bar now that says:

The definition of courage is to have an open bar.

I may point that our to engaged couples.

That's a whole lot better that 'You will meet a dark stranger and come into money and a storm will sink your boat.'!

Firecat

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »

I know a lady that wears heavy corsets with her SCA garb and I watch her put up and take down tents and all manner of other work in what to me would seem to be a very constricting garment.  http://www.elizabethancostume.net/effigy.htm  this is her and the garment in question.  and when I said something to the effect of how do you move? she reached down and touched her toes (standing)

Yup, I can bend over just fine in my corset.  And walk around outdoors all day, including an hour of marching in the Texas early summer heat. ;)  I wouldn't call it pleasant, but it can be done.  The one thing I've learned absolutely NOT to do is drink anything carbonated.  Owwwwwwwww.

I actually prefer wearing my bodice out to our local Renaissance Festival. The extra back support is a wonderful, wonderful thing. I can walk around out there and my lower back will not hurt a bit afterwards. Now I just need to save up and get my Catskill boots so my feet will be equally pampered out there.

Iris

« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »

I actually prefer wearing my bodice out to our local Renaissance Festival. The extra back support is a wonderful, wonderful thing. I can walk around out there and my lower back will not hurt a bit afterwards. Now I just need to save up and get my Catskill boots so my feet will be equally pampered out there.

I have a corsolette (sp?) for under one of my more formal dresses which is perfectly fine to move in at a formal event but the 'boning' is made from modern materials. IIRC the early ones were iron or steel? Even then I would not want to do housework in mine because although it is fine for standing/walking etc it doesn't allow your torso to contract so although I can bend it is quite a stiff and unnatural bend.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

deety

• woodland pixie
  • chunga!
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »

Oh, and now I have a question. Am I the only one who doesn't brush their teeth right when they wake up? I get why you would want to, but I cannot imagine trying to eat or drink anything after with everything tasting like minty toothpaste.  :-\ Like toothpaste plus orange juice equals BLECH!

Ah, memories... minty Cheerios.   ;D  In middle school, our house had one bathroom on the second floor, right next to the bedrooms.  To get ready for school I would get up, get dressed, hit the bathroom for the usual morning things, including brushing my teeth, go downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast, then out to the bus stop.  Maximized for the most sleep, no going back upstairs.  I didn't (couldn't) really taste anything until I was halfway done with the cereal, and I just got accustomed to the minty milk.  Then I liked it.

(I have been known to brush my teeth before I eat Cheerios even now. I'm thirty-*cough*)

judecat

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
^ rags, I think. Washed out and re-used.
Just a small factoid -- modern disposable sanitary napkins were not developed until WWI -- the army nurses started using wound dressings for the purpose.  Before that they used re-usable washable cloth rags.

Kath68

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
What does "stupid is as stupid does" mean?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »

Oh, and now I have a question. Am I the only one who doesn't brush their teeth right when they wake up? I get why you would want to, but I cannot imagine trying to eat or drink anything after with everything tasting like minty toothpaste.  :-\ Like toothpaste plus orange juice equals BLECH!

Meanwhile, I can't stand to eat or drink anything with my teeth all grungy from from overnight. I like to eat with a fresh mouth. I wouldn't go straight to orange juice from toothpaste/mouthwash, but toast or a cracker or a handful of cereal first takes care of that.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
What does "stupid is as stupid does" mean?

It means a person is really only as "stupid" as the stupid acts he commits.