Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1023344 times)

Pinky830

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #3990 on: January 02, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »
A few months ago I accidentally ran my stainless steel skillet through the dishwasher and greatly discolored it.  I have tried a lot of different things to get it back to normal to no avail.

Until tonight.

I fried turkey kielbasa in it and then tossed in a bad of drained sauerkraut.  When I poured the sauerkraut into a dish I realised  there was no more discoloration. 

It looks brand new...any ideas why/how?  I don't have a clue.

Very acidic food will take the black stuff right out of a stainless steel pan. I watched in amazement as a hibachi chef cleaned every bit of the grunge off the grill with a lemon, and I took a cue from that. If I have a really blackened pan, I squeeze a lemon into the pan and heat it up, then scrape it all off. I bet the sauerkraut was acidic enough to do the same thing.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3991 on: January 02, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
^^^lemon was the first thing I tried and it didn't put a dent in it...even heated.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3992 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
My DH bought new pants for work, but didn't check the label, which says Dry Clean only.  My DH hates the smell of clothes that have been dry cleaned.  My work clothes say Dry Clean only, but I just chuck them into the front loader washing machine on the delicate cycle and they come out fine.  His pants were reasonably $$, any recommendations on how to wash them at home?  Handwash maybe?

They sell something for machine-washing dry clean only stuff.  Dryelle, I think it's called. You pop the clothes in a certain bag, add in a sheet of something, and put it in the dryer.  It doesn't work quite as well as dry cleaning, but I use it to stretch out the time between having to take my suits in to clean. :)

demarco

« Reply #3993 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
My DH bought new pants for work, but didn't check the label, which says Dry Clean only.  My DH hates the smell of clothes that have been dry cleaned.  My work clothes say Dry Clean only, but I just chuck them into the front loader washing machine on the delicate cycle and they come out fine.  His pants were reasonably $$, any recommendations on how to wash them at home?  Handwash maybe?

They sell something for machine-washing dry clean only stuff.  Dryelle, I think it's called. You pop the clothes in a certain bag, add in a sheet of something, and put it in the dryer.  It doesn't work quite as well as dry cleaning, but I use it to stretch out the time between having to take my suits in to clean. :)

Woolite makes something similar.  I think they call it Dry Cleaner's Secret.  With  this, you just pop the clothes in with the cleaner sheet.  You don't even need a bag.  If you have a stain, you can pretreat it by rubbing the sheet on the stain before you put it in the dryer.  There is a mild odor but it fades quickly if you hang the clothes out in the open for a little while before you put them away.  I use it for all kinds of dry cleanables and it works beautifully for everything except very light colored clothes like white or ivory. 

Pinky830

« Reply #3994 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
^^^lemon was the first thing I tried and it didn't put a dent in it...even heated.

Oh. Well...shoot.  :(

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3995 on: January 03, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
A few months ago I accidentally ran my stainless steel skillet through the dishwasher and greatly discolored it.  I have tried a lot of different things to get it back to normal to no avail.

Until tonight.

I fried turkey kielbasa in it and then tossed in a bad of drained sauerkraut.  When I poured the sauerkraut into a dish I realised  there was no more discoloration. 

It looks brand new...any ideas why/how?  I don't have a clue.

Theory #1 is salt. Saurkraut is made by pickling cabbage with salt.

Theory #2 is acid. Some saurkraut is made with wine, which maybe becomes vinegar when it pckles the cabbage.

Aside from that, I got nothin'. :)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3996 on: January 03, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
I think it is the combination of salt and vinegar. I use this combination to remove oxides and flux from silver and copper after soldering, instead of the traditional acids.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3997 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
What is the fabric?  US federal regulations say that garments have to include some information about cleaning, but they don't have to include ALL the methods by which something can be cleaned.  Unless the fabric is sequinned silk velvet or something else really out of line with normal garments, it's entirely possible that the pants can be put in the washing machine with your work clothes.  Or even with a regular load of washables.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3998 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

What are the pants made of? Wool? Cotton? A blend? It really depends on the fiber content whether or not you can wash them safely. But the dryer dry cleaning kits are worth a try.

Also, there are different kinds of dry cleaning fluids that dry cleaners use. I forget what it's called, but there is one that is much less smelly than the others. You could call around and ask local dry cleaners what they use.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3999 on: January 03, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
I would be very careful if it is wool (I destroyed a pair of designer, 100% light weight wool pants soon after I got my apartment- it had been a huge splurge for me...).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4000 on: January 03, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
Whenever I accidentally buy something that says 'Dry Clean Only', I wash it in cold water with Zero or Woolite on the delicate cycle, hang to dry and hope for the best.  I refuse to dry clean clothes.

Maybe if I owned an expensive evening dress or something but even my fancy clothes aren't that fancy.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4001 on: January 03, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
Unless the fabric is sequinned silk velvet

Pause the thread! I'm trying to picture sequinned silk velvet slacks on most men.

Thank  you. I'm Ok now. Continue if you will.

Betelnut

« Reply #4002 on: January 03, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
Okay, this has always confused me.  If the date or time for something has been changed, say that originally something was supposed to happen on July 1st 2012 but now it is happening on October 1st 2012, do you say that the event has been "pushed back" or "moved forward"? 

"Forward" seems wrong because "forward" implies "closer" (to me) rather than later, but on the calendar, "forward" could also mean moving the event ahead in time so that would be the correct term to use. 

"Back" could mean moving the date backward, so that would be wrong but "back" sort also means further away, so the date is further away, therefore that is the correct term.

Argh!

For some reason this distinction has always confused me.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4003 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
Okay, this has always confused me.  If the date or time for something has been changed, say that originally something was supposed to happen on July 1st 2012 but now it is happening on October 1st 2012, do you say that the event has been "pushed back" or "moved forward"? 

"Forward" seems wrong because "forward" implies "closer" (to me) rather than later, but on the calendar, "forward" could also mean moving the event ahead in time so that would be the correct term to use. 

"Back" could mean moving the date backward, so that would be wrong but "back" sort also means further away, so the date is further away, therefore that is the correct term.

Argh!

I use "earlier" and "later," as "it's been moved to an earlier date."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

Betelnut

« Reply #4004 on: January 03, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Argh!

I use "earlier" and "later," as "it's been moved to an earlier date."

LOL!  That would be one way to avoid using those terms!
Native Texan, Marylander currently