Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1114471 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5385 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
How would one pronounce the city name "Syracuse"? Is it seera-cuse or sara-cuse?

I've heard it pronounced both; "sara-cuse" was said that way by someone who lived there.

That's partially why I was wondering. A local on tumblr said "I am so sick of people saying "seera-cuse", it's "sara-cuse"." But I've heard it both ways so I wasn't sure.

Assuming we are referring to the city upstate New York- From living there for 4 years, I would say that the locals actually pronounce it something closer to sere-cuse and almost slur the first and second syllables. That is pretty much the only place I have ever heard it pronounced that way though. In media, it is most commonly pronounced as seera-cuse and I remember being really surprised at the difference between common and local pronunciation when I moved up there.

The pronunciation to which I was referring was from the one in New York.  I lived in northwestern PA at the time and it was my uncle.  I remember as a child being excited that there was a city with my name in it!  (I had never seen it written, just had listened to my uncle and cousins pronounce it.)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5386 on: July 25, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
#1aunt wrote:

"Mine was doing that at well.  It was the water in the tank filling up too much and running into the overflow drain.  I was able to adjust the bulb-float and it hasn't done it since."

That should make the water run constantly, not switch on and off, unless your float is balanced just so that it doesn't quite cut off the supply when the water tops off.  Since this is a new problem with a decade-old toilet, I'd suspect a leak instead of a bad adjustment.

Virg

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5387 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
#1aunt wrote:

"Mine was doing that at well.  It was the water in the tank filling up too much and running into the overflow drain.  I was able to adjust the bulb-float and it hasn't done it since."

That should make the water run constantly, not switch on and off, unless your float is balanced just so that it doesn't quite cut off the supply when the water tops off.  Since this is a new problem with a decade-old toilet, I'd suspect a leak instead of a bad adjustment.

Virg

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I'll look into it when I get home. 

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #5388 on: July 27, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
I was reading People Magazine and saw a photo of Prince William and Princess Anne all decked out in ceremonial robes as Prince Willilam received some new title.

This might be a stupid question, but do they reuse those robes?  Do they have a huge closet in some palace?   

How do they know which robe goes with which title?

Loved the hats though.   8)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5389 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
I was reading People Magazine and saw a photo of Prince William and Princess Anne all decked out in ceremonial robes as Prince Willilam received some new title.

This might be a stupid question, but do they reuse those robes?  Do they have a huge closet in some palace?   

As far as I know they would reuse them, so the robes would need to be stored. I think that pic was William being awarded the Order Of The Thistle, in Scotland? He (and others, such as Princess Anne) would need the robes again for any further ceremonies involving this Order. I can't imagine the storage problems that would cause, though!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

wheeitsme

« Reply #5390 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

As far as I know they would reuse them, so the robes would need to be stored. I think that pic was William being awarded the Order Of The Thistle, in Scotland? He (and others, such as Princess Anne) would need the robes again for any further ceremonies involving this Order. I can't imagine the storage problems that would cause, though!

I thought storage and re-use would be the answer, too, but this site seems to contradict that!

http://www.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/ceremonial-dress/royal-robes/

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5391 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »

I thought storage and re-use would be the answer, too, but this site seems to contradict that!

I don't see a contradiction - the site just says they make the robes?

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #5392 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

What a cool website!  I might want to order up something to wear as the consort to the Duke Of Dubuque. ;)

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #5393 on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
That's the company I got my graduation robes from, actually (both times).

Jaelle

« Reply #5394 on: July 27, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
How would one pronounce the city name "Syracuse"? Is it seera-cuse or sara-cuse?

I've heard it pronounced both; "sara-cuse" was said that way by someone who lived there.

That's partially why I was wondering. A local on tumblr said "I am so sick of people saying "seera-cuse", it's "sara-cuse"." But I've heard it both ways so I wasn't sure.

Assuming we are referring to the city upstate New York- From living there for 4 years, I would say that the locals actually pronounce it something closer to sere-cuse and almost slur the first and second syllables. That is pretty much the only place I have ever heard it pronounced that way though. In media, it is most commonly pronounced as seera-cuse and I remember being really surprised at the difference between common and local pronunciation when I moved up there.

The pronunciation to which I was referring was from the one in New York.  I lived in northwestern PA at the time and it was my uncle.  I remember as a child being excited that there was a city with my name in it!  (I had never seen it written, just had listened to my uncle and cousins pronounce it.)

Living relatively close, I mainly hear "sara-cuse," sometimes "sair-cuse," slurring the first two syllables.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

wheeitsme

« Reply #5395 on: July 27, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »

They are the ONLY people to make the robes for British royalty.  And everything I'm finding online seems to imply that each member of each order is required to provide robes and regalia.  So Prince William needed his own robe for the investment as well as having to wear it on various occasions.  Gah, that must get expensive.  The British seem to require special robes and regalia for quite a few things...

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #5396 on: July 27, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »

They are the ONLY people to make the robes for British royalty.  And everything I'm finding online seems to imply that each member of each order is required to provide robes and regalia.  So Prince William needed his own robe for the investment as well as having to wear it on various occasions.  Gah, that must get expensive.  The British seem to require special robes and regalia for quite a few things...

Sorry I guess I'm just confused.  Just because they are the only company to make the robes, why does that stop the Royal Family from keeping and reusing robes?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5397 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

The site says they not only make robes, but they maintain the ones they have made for individuals and keep records of them. So they might do storage and repair as well, if it was needed.

That does make sense. Rather than leave it to a palace employee to make or keep robes, they have a 'royal robe-maker' to do so. Of all the royalty mentioned, though, neither Prince William nor Princess Anne is on that list. I wonder why?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #5398 on: July 27, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
Maybe someone else makes theirs, after all?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5399 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
I never thought of that question-there's the picture of Edward VIII becoming Prince of Wales (it's a given title, not automatic by birth), and I wondered, did Charles and then William wear the same robe?  (George VI wouldn't have been Prince of Wales, as he was a second son).

I thought they must be stored, like the Jewels in the Tower of London.  Great question.

I have two questions: 1) What happens to the stadiums built for the Olympics after the Games are over?  and 2) did the London Olympics ruin any of the Jack the Ripper sites or the tour? :(