Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089555 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5565 on: August 20, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
I discovered, while on a long roadtrip, that if I turn off the cruise control when I see the change in Speed Limit sign, (it's dropping) and I keep my foot off the gas, that by the time I get to the new posted speed limit that I am going the posted speed.  Once I discovered this, I kept trying it and it worked consistently.  It would be interesting to know if anyone else has noticed this.

I have learned to coast downhill. I generally do this on road trips, but any time I am reducing my speed, I would much rather coast than brake, if I can. I have also found that coasting vs braking cuts down on the echo braking around you.

CakeBeret

« Reply #5566 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
I love the cruise control off button for two reasons.

First, if I'm not actively using cruise control, I can't stand to have that little Cruise Control light on. :)

Second, my car's cruise control is not the greatest system. If I set it for 60 and then re-set it to 50, it gets all confused. It's more effective to turn it off and then turn it back on and set it to 50.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5567 on: August 21, 2012, 12:37:11 AM »
Why is there an on and off switch for cruise control?

I find it useful for when you suddenly notice a speed trap ahead but you don't want to slam on your brakes and make it obvious you're slowing down - you can just turn off cruise control and decelerate naturally for a few seconds  :)

I do that  ;D ;D ;D  No tell-tale break lights when trying to turn it off that way.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5568 on: August 21, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »
Why does it drive me so dang batty to try to talk with the TV on?

DH will try to say something to me while he's watching TV and I always ask him to mute or pause it. He inevitably wants to know why. It's like the TV noise crowds my brain or something. I just can't focus on him and the sensation makes me want to scream.

I don't know what it is, but it drives us both nuts.
Maybe you have some minor hearing loss. I noticed the same thing when I had a blockage in one ear, that too many voices were just a blur.  When was the last time you had your hearing checked?

My hearing is fine, and always has been, but I still can't listen to someone with the TV on. In fact, I'm completely unable to focus on anything else if there's a TV on in the room. It's not as bad when it's on mute, but I still have a hard time looking away. I really hate going to friends' houses who always have their TVs on for background noise.

Me too!!  I find it distracting to the extreme.   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5569 on: August 21, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
Re:  Cruise Control

I have just recently discovered the 'cancel' button.  It is effectively the same as braking but doesn't trigger the lights.  And it allows you to 'resume' to the previous setting.  If you turn it off, you have to reset it when you turn it back on.

So if I'm going to be going back to the same speed shortly, I'll use 'Cancel'.  If my speed will be changing, sometimes I'll use 'Off'.

Although I did save the guy behind me a speeding ticket once by tapping the brakes to disengage the cruise.  I spotted a car on the side of the road quite a ways up ahead.  Even though it wasn't marked, I immediately thought 'That's a cop' and tapped my brakes.  Guy behind me slowed down with me; guy behind him pulled out and passed both of us.  And was immediately pulled over.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5570 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
How does one know if gorgonzola or blue cheese is going bad?  I mean, it already has mold on it. 

Mind you, it's rarely a problem with me because I love it so much it gets eaten within a few days.  But I found some that had gotten pushed to the back of my cheese drawer.  I tossed it rather than take a chance but it sure made me wonder how to tell if it was ok or not.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5571 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
How does one know if gorgonzola or blue cheese is going bad?  I mean, it already has mold on it. 

Mind you, it's rarely a problem with me because I love it so much it gets eaten within a few days.  But I found some that had gotten pushed to the back of my cheese drawer.  I tossed it rather than take a chance but it sure made me wonder how to tell if it was ok or not.

I have found the texture changes, it seems to break down and there is usually a watery liquid in the bag or package.

Along this note, don't trust that yogurt that is past it's date. You won't find the mold until you get near the bottom of the cup. (shudders)

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5572 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Oh no!  I'm shuddering right beside you!   

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5573 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
The reason for on/off switches on cruise controls is design of the system.  It's a module bolted on to the throttle control and it has its own power supply, so it can be switched on and off.  There's no usability reason why it's set up that way.

The way to tell if goronzola or bleu cheese has gone off is color, texture and smell.  The molds will change color, the cheese will change color, it'll get mushy, and it smells different.  When in doubt, throw it out.

Virg

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5574 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
The reason for on/off switches on cruise controls is design of the system.  It's a module bolted on to the throttle control and it has its own power supply, so it can be switched on and off.  There's no usability reason why it's set up that way.

The way to tell if goronzola or bleu cheese has gone off is color, texture and smell.  The molds will change color, the cheese will change color, it'll get mushy, and it smells different.  When in doubt, throw it out.

Virg

This was the argument Dark Boyfriend and I were having...even if it has its own power supply, what does leaving it on change?  The power is there, static, not being used, so why can you even turn it off if that doesn't really change anything?  No power use when it is on and not engaged, no power use when it was off...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5575 on: August 22, 2012, 02:44:46 AM »

I have found the texture changes, it seems to break down and there is usually a watery liquid in the bag or package.

Along this note, don't trust that yogurt that is past it's date. You won't find the mold until you get near the bottom of the cup. (shudders)

Lol!  I have relatives who were bigwig experts in the dairy industry (going back for many decades now).    My mother tells a story of being horrified to see a wife of one of the bigwigs feeding her infant daughter expired yoghurt.   The lady laughed and said "We know how the dates are set - and this one is really irrelevant!  Besides, yoghurt is just gone off milk anyway!" 

I guess technically she was right, but there's definitely a point at which I consider yoghurt "disgusting gone off yoghurt" as opposed to "gone off milk which is delicious yoghurt".    So I tend to go by the expiry date rather than risk my sensitive gag reflex by opening the container!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5576 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
Both DH and DFIL have zero respect for the use by date on food and medicine. They continue with this despite the many times the food or medicine has been bad. I know most medications are good for longer than a year, and would use one in a pinch as long as the color and odor have not changed, but DFIL has aspirin and other OTC medications that are more than 10 years old. Of course DH' grandfather, DFIL's father, was notorious for eating moldy cheese and food past the point of no return. He had a very strong constitution and never got sick. Neither DH or DFIL have such a constitution.

I do not mess with dairy foods more than a month past the use by date. Chips either.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5577 on: August 22, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »
Both DH and DFIL have zero respect for the use by date on food and medicine. They continue with this despite the many times the food or medicine has been bad. I know most medications are good for longer than a year, and would use one in a pinch as long as the color and odor have not changed, but DFIL has aspirin and other OTC medications that are more than 10 years old. Of course DH' grandfather, DFIL's father, was notorious for eating moldy cheese and food past the point of no return. He had a very strong constitution and never got sick. Neither DH or DFIL have such a constitution.

I do not mess with dairy foods more than a month past the use by date. Chips either.

My daughter's Epi-Pens have an expiration of one year.  They are expensive, so I asked the nurse at her doctor's office if they could be used past the expiration date.  She said she sure wouldn't use them past their expiration date.  Thinking about it, I suppose that since using one means there's a life threatening emergency, she's probably right.  But still.  One year seems arbitrary.  Can't they do testing to make it more precise?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5578 on: August 22, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »

My daughter's Epi-Pens have an expiration of one year.  They are expensive, so I asked the nurse at her doctor's office if they could be used past the expiration date.  She said she sure wouldn't use them past their expiration date.  Thinking about it, I suppose that since using one means there's a life threatening emergency, she's probably right.  But still.  One year seems arbitrary.  Can't they do testing to make it more precise?
If you look, you will see that the one year is from the date when the script was filled.  Does your epi-pen come in an original manufacturer's box?  Because whenever I get meds in the original box, the REAL use-by date is 2 to 3 years later than the script date.

I don't know about epi-pens, but the US Navy did testing for a whole bunch of common meds (they looked at the dollar amount of those "expired" meds that were being discarded, and went  :o).  They found that they were still safe and effective 10-15 YEARS past the use-by dates, if they were stored properly.  I have no qualms about taking something that is only 2 or 3 years old, but as you say, the epi-pen is lifesaving, not something to make you more comfortable.  I'd consult with the manufacturer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5579 on: August 22, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
A lot of over-the-counter medicines start to lose their effectiveness over time - they don't "go bad" or anything, but 800 mg of something ten years old might be functionally equivalent to 500 mg of the same drug manufactured more recently.  Since dosages are pretty subjective anyway ("Do I need one asprin or two?  Has it been six hours since I last took some?  Eh, I'll take two!") I just tend to err on the higher side with older medications.

That said, we inevitably end up with enough asprin/ibuprofin/decongestants for a small city cluttering up our medicine cabinet, and when I know we can't possibly use them all up before they expire I'll usually just throw out the oldest ones  :P