Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1014379 times)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5670 on: September 05, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
Doll Fiend wrote:

"*sigh* I have almost every episode on my laptop. I am a bit of a fan of the man. Would die to meet him."

If you have a copy of the Kung Fu Panda DVD, hes in a short on the special features.  Just found that one myself a week ago.

Virg
Wait. . . What!?!?

*Goes to watch the DVD*

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5671 on: September 05, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
I was wondering the other day why we have so many librarians here.  It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it made me wonder.

I suspect there's a pretty big demographic overlap, too - eHell is disproportionately women and disproportionately middle-aged (compared to the rest of the internet), which applies to librarians as well.  Librarians are also pretty much required to be good with computers and with communication nowadays, both of which select for people who are likely to be comfortable connecting with strangers over the internet  :)

Right you are, Slartibartfast. 

I would also add that Librarians are likely recognize a 'safe' place on the Internet.  E-Hell is a safe and fun, informative place to be.

Madam Pansy

« Reply #5672 on: September 05, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
I have a new question- why do my flip flops get so slippy when it's raining? I fell three times last week when it was raining, ending up with a large bruse by my elbow for a few days.

I always thought they would have a better grip because they are rubber.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5673 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
There is absolutely no tread on them so when it is wet, it's like walking on ice.  After I fell down my deck stairs, all of mine went in the garbage.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5674 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »
Where does the term "latchkey kid" come from?  Why "latchkey"?

Aside from general civility, do we all get along on this forum because we all watch the same TV shows, read the same web sites and comics?  I've noticed a lot of similarities from other peoples' posts.

Frog

When I was a kid, house keys were often called 'latchkeys'. Most moms I knew were stay at home moms who worked until they had children and sometimes went back to work after they were raised. (1950s)

We seem to respect our different views as a learning situation rather than something to revile someone about.

Is that 'general civility'?

We don't all watch the same show, but as there are thousands of us, there is going to be a lot of overlap. For example, I really hate most reality shows, but when people talks about Dancing with the Stars I just ignore it or if it is in the context of something I am interested in, I just respect it and pay attention. It's sometimes interesting.

I think it's also true that, in its heyday for the term, "latchkey kids" tended to wear the key on a string around their necks.  That made them pretty identifiable.  Kids just didn't have backpacks or other containers at that time - and mothers probably didn't trust pockets, they could develop holes that could cause the keys to be lost.

And, at that time, my guess is that many parents of kids who were 8 or so figured they'd be okay for a couple of hours after school till one parent came home.  Please, I am not trying to start any kind of argument here.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5675 on: September 06, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
<snip>

*sigh* I have almost every episode on my laptop. I am a bit of a fan of the man. Would die to meet him. ;D

I did!  Several years ago, Alton Brown was having a cooking demo and book signing down in Orlando.  Half my family and I made the trip, watched the demonstration, purchased the cookbook and had him sign it.  He even took the time to pose for photos with us! 

Such a nice guy. :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5676 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
There is absolutely no tread on them so when it is wet, it's like walking on ice.  After I fell down my deck stairs, all of mine went in the garbage.

Also, because flip-flops 'flip-flop', water gets on the upper soles when worn in the rain. This can produce a double-whammy of no tread on the pavement and slippery soles directly under the feet.   

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5677 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
I have a question about children and toys.

Lots of toys and games have small pieces that would be a choking hazard to a small child and toys have labels on them recommending age limits for playing with the toy.  So what do you do if you have children of different ages?  Say, for example, you have a two year old and a six year old.  If the six year old is capable of playing safely with a particular toy that would not be safe for the two year old, how do you manage this?

Instead of putting the baby in the playpen so s/he can't get to the toys, put the six year old and the toys in the playpen.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5678 on: September 06, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
I was wondering the other day why we have so many librarians here.  It's not a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it made me wonder.

I suspect there's a pretty big demographic overlap, too - eHell is disproportionately women and disproportionately middle-aged (compared to the rest of the internet), which applies to librarians as well.  Librarians are also pretty much required to be good with computers and with communication nowadays, both of which select for people who are likely to be comfortable connecting with strangers over the internet  :)

Also I think that this group attracts introverts...people who like to discuss things but do it at their own pace. That may also overlap librarians.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5679 on: September 07, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
This is a question for librarians.  Is it OK to return materials a few days (or even the next day) after borrowing?  I'm a fast reader and watch movies quickly or sometimes just know I won't enjoy a book after a few pages.  Is it annoying or bothersome to return them way before the due date?

Redsoil

« Reply #5680 on: September 07, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Rose Red (I'm ex-library going back some years now).  We never had any issue with people returning books quickly - in fact, it's a good thing!  That way, other people can borrow the books and turnover is better.  Especially good if they are popular books!  Feel free to return the same day if need be, and borrow more.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

BC12

« Reply #5681 on: September 08, 2012, 05:16:35 AM »
How do I label the gift tag for a baby shower gift? "To: Baby" or "To: Mother"?

Also, it's not rude to skip a baby shower, is it? The pregnant couple are in-laws of my in-laws, and we only see them around three times a year and don't have much of a relationship with them. It is sort of family, though, so I kind of feel bad for skipping it. I'm just really uncomfortable attending these things and have come up with several good (to me) reasons not to go: text message invite, second baby, we've never been invited to any of their other events (except for their first baby's shower, which we did attend,) we don't even exchange Christmas gifts, rarely talk when we do see each other.

So, am I fine to just send a gift? That shouldn't cause any resentment, should it?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:18:19 AM by BC12 »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5682 on: September 08, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »

To "mother". The present might be for Baby but you can't give a present to someone who doesn't technically exist yet.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5683 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »

Also, it's not rude to skip a baby shower, is it? The pregnant couple are in-laws of my in-laws, and we only see them around three times a year and don't have much of a relationship with them. It is sort of family, though, so I kind of feel bad for skipping it. I'm just really uncomfortable attending these things and have come up with several good (to me) reasons not to go: text message invite, second baby, we've never been invited to any of their other events (except for their first baby's shower, which we did attend,) we don't even exchange Christmas gifts, rarely talk when we do see each other.

So, am I fine to just send a gift? That shouldn't cause any resentment, should it?

Before the baby is born, label the gift to mom. After, if the card says something like, "congratulations on your new bundle," I lable it to the parents. If the card says, "Welcome, Little one," lable to baby.

An invitation is not a summons, to reiterate what has been said on eHell dozens of times.

Why do you even feel compelled to send a gift if you don't feel like it? The only reason I can see is because of family politics, which I don't bend to anyway.

I don't send a gift unless I want to, and even then not until the baby is born, except in the case of my own grandchildren where It was to help set up the nursery and layette.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5684 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »

To "mother". The present might be for Baby but you can't give a present to someone who doesn't technically exist yet.

I usually label them as To Baby (either by name if I know it, or "Baby Lastname" if I don't). I figure it's a gift for them. I've seen people do it both ways, though, so just do it however you prefer.

Or honestly, you could just put "from BC12" with no "to" field. Everyone knows who it's for at a baby shower! :)