Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 970375 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5760 on: September 26, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Did I miss the hipster memo on this?

By the time there was a memo, it was out of hipster fashion.  ;)

D'oh!  I knew I should have written hipster meme!   ;)  Or tweet.  The kids still tweet these days, right?

Tweet? That's too literate, they're all over on flickr last I heard. Probably moved on twice since then... (thank God, now I can be middle aged in peace :))
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

wheeitsme

« Reply #5761 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »

D'oh!  I knew I should have written hipster meme!   ;)  Or tweet.  The kids still tweet these days, right?

Tweet? That's too literate, they're all over on flickr last I heard. Probably moved on twice since then... (thank God, now I can be middle aged in peace :))

Last I heard it was Tumblr, but since folks know about it now, who knows...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5762 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »
Pinterest, perhaps.

Ereine

« Reply #5763 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »
It was Instagram a few months ago, I think. There may be some deeper meaning behind the moustaches (there are also different hipstery moustache and beard growing related events and at least here young hipster men often have both and maybe the girls want to take part too) but it may be that they're just cool and part of a collection of random things that are suddenly everywhere, like owls, deer, mushrooms and Russian nesting dolls.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5764 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »

Last I heard it was Tumblr, but since folks know about it now, who knows...

Was gonna say, the hipsters are all on this new site - you've probably never heard of it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5765 on: September 27, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
I have an officially stupid question.

I am considering using flavored liquid coffee creamers (like say, French Vanilla) to perk up iced coffee.  What would be the "proper" amount of creamer to put in for a 24 ounce travel cup?

AustenFan

« Reply #5766 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:35 AM »
Whatever tastes good to you.  8)

I find liquid creamer to be very sweet, so cut out the sugar when I use it.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #5767 on: September 27, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
It was Instagram a few months ago, I think. There may be some deeper meaning behind the moustaches (there are also different hipstery moustache and beard growing related events and at least here young hipster men often have both and maybe the girls want to take part too) but it may be that they're just cool and part of a collection of random things that are suddenly everywhere, like owls, deer, mushrooms and Russian nesting dolls.

Owls I've seen, but nesting dolls? Must be losing my (non-existent) edge.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #5768 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
But, happy ending, I called the local plumber at 7:30am that morning and it was fixed a little after 8:00 am (I love small towns).  The problem was, as Virg and someone else mentioned, a leak.  The rubber seal at the bottom of the tank had warped a little, which they are apt to do after a long time.

They can also be degraded by contact with bleach. Something to think about if you are one who uses the 'in-tank' bleach-based cleaners...

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #5769 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Stupid and rhetorical question: Why do women's clothing sizes have to be so confusing?!

Stupid non-rhetorical question, short form: Why do the manufacturer's measurements for my perfectly fitting dress indicate there is no way in heck it would fit me? What am I missing about the bust-waist-hip measurements system?

Long form:
I am looking on eBay for a cheap dress to as a base for a Halloween costume (a Dalek), but I'm having a hard time judging whether the dresses are likely to fit. Then I had a flash of inspiration: I have a dress bought in the last year or so that fits me perfectly and is from a well-known brand--I can look at the manufacturer's size chart and get a firmer idea of how those measurements translate to the real-life fit. When I actually checked the size chart, the bust measurement is slightly larger than what I measure and the hip measurement is a little small but not really relevant because the skirt flares starting above the hip. But the waist measurement is several inches smaller than the narrowest part of my torso (which is not my actual waist).  :o Unless my dress is a TARDIS, how is this possible? Anyone more experienced in buying dresses have any helpful guidance about the weird world of women's clothing sizes and how to guess from the measurements if a dress will fit?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5770 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
Stupid and rhetorical question: Why do women's clothing sizes have to be so confusing?!

Stupid non-rhetorical question, short form: Why do the manufacturer's measurements for my perfectly fitting dress indicate there is no way in heck it would fit me? What am I missing about the bust-waist-hip measurements system?

Long form:
I am looking on eBay for a cheap dress to as a base for a Halloween costume (a Dalek), but I'm having a hard time judging whether the dresses are likely to fit. Then I had a flash of inspiration: I have a dress bought in the last year or so that fits me perfectly and is from a well-known brand--I can look at the manufacturer's size chart and get a firmer idea of how those measurements translate to the real-life fit. When I actually checked the size chart, the bust measurement is slightly larger than what I measure and the hip measurement is a little small but not really relevant because the skirt flares starting above the hip. But the waist measurement is several inches smaller than the narrowest part of my torso (which is not my actual waist).  :o Unless my dress is a TARDIS, how is this possible? Anyone more experienced in buying dresses have any helpful guidance about the weird world of women's clothing sizes and how to guess from the measurements if a dress will fit?

No help here, but "My dress is not a TARDIS" sounds like an awesome anti-pick-up line.

"Hey baby, I won't blink 'cause you're a weeping angel!  Wanna come back to my place and see my sonic screwdriver?"
"Buzz off, jerkface.  My dress is not a TARDIS - the only one gonna fit in it is ME tonight."

Iris

« Reply #5771 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »

Long form:

No help here, but "My dress is not a TARDIS" sounds like an awesome anti-pick-up line.

"Hey baby, I won't blink 'cause you're a weeping angel!  Wanna come back to my place and see my sonic screwdriver?"
"Buzz off, jerkface.  My dress is not a TARDIS - the only one gonna fit in it is ME tonight."

How good would a dress that's bigger on the inside be? All this effort I'm putting into weight loss could be GONE! Just buy a TARDIS dress  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Carotte

« Reply #5772 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
I've often found in old books that instead of saying 'twenty-four' they used to say 'four and twenty', when did they stopped doing that and switched around?
Was it only used for someones age (the last time I read it it was about someones age, can't remember the other times)?
Was it used with other numbers, like five and thirty or something?

It seems weird that they even use to say it that way, I mean, it's not logic at all is it?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5773 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
Was it only used for someones age (the last time I read it it was about someones age, can't remember the other times)?

Blackbirds baked in a pie?  :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5774 on: September 29, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

Long form:

This might not really answer your question, but I'll give it a try.

Most size charts, but not all, give the measurements for the person who will fit in the garment, not the garment itself. All clothing is designed with "ease" built in--ease is extra room to allow the garment to fit and hang correctly, and to allow the wearer to be able to move easily in the garment. If the chart is giving the exact measurements of the garment, you would need to be at least an inch smaller than the measurements to fit into that piece of clothing.

Different types of clothing have different amounts of ease--skinny jeans don't have much, a flowing skirt has tons. A strapless dress won't have much ease at all in the bodice, because if it did, the top might fall down. But there could be lots of ease in the skirt if it is a full skirt. Or not much ease, if it is a straight skirt. Pencil skirts have a little bit of ease, but the reason most of them have a small slit or kick pleat in the back is that there isn't enough ease built into the skirt to allow for normal walking, so the slit is added so you can have enough room to move your legs normally.

So for many garments, you can be an inch or two larger or smaller than the manufacturer measurements and still have a piece of clothing that fits and flatters. Especially if the clothing is sized Small, Medium, and Large, where Small is usually two sizes, say 4 and 6, and Medium covers two sizes, 8 and 10, and Large is for both 12 and 14. But even something with a specific size, like size 8, has a little wiggle room in the fit.

The style of the garment has a lot to do with fit, as well. The manufacturer may give a waist measurement, but in an A-line dress that does not have a fitted waistline, it doesn't mean much, as the dress is not designed to fit closely at the waist, or at the hip, for that matter. The bust measurement may be the only one that really matters.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn