Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 838180 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5775 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
Stupid and rhetorical question: Why do women's clothing sizes have to be so confusing?!

Stupid non-rhetorical question, short form: Why do the manufacturer's measurements for my perfectly fitting dress indicate there is no way in heck it would fit me? What am I missing about the bust-waist-hip measurements system?

Long form:
I am looking on eBay for a cheap dress to as a base for a Halloween costume (a Dalek), but I'm having a hard time judging whether the dresses are likely to fit. Then I had a flash of inspiration: I have a dress bought in the last year or so that fits me perfectly and is from a well-known brand--I can look at the manufacturer's size chart and get a firmer idea of how those measurements translate to the real-life fit. When I actually checked the size chart, the bust measurement is slightly larger than what I measure and the hip measurement is a little small but not really relevant because the skirt flares starting above the hip. But the waist measurement is several inches smaller than the narrowest part of my torso (which is not my actual waist).  :o Unless my dress is a TARDIS, how is this possible? Anyone more experienced in buying dresses have any helpful guidance about the weird world of women's clothing sizes and how to guess from the measurements if a dress will fit?

No help here, but "My dress is not a TARDIS" sounds like an awesome anti-pick-up line.

"Hey baby, I won't blink 'cause you're a weeping angel!  Wanna come back to my place and see my sonic screwdriver?"
"Buzz off, jerkface.  My dress is not a TARDIS - the only one gonna fit in it is ME tonight."

Iris

« Reply #5776 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
Stupid and rhetorical question: Why do women's clothing sizes have to be so confusing?!

Stupid non-rhetorical question, short form: Why do the manufacturer's measurements for my perfectly fitting dress indicate there is no way in heck it would fit me? What am I missing about the bust-waist-hip measurements system?

Long form:
I am looking on eBay for a cheap dress to as a base for a Halloween costume (a Dalek), but I'm having a hard time judging whether the dresses are likely to fit. Then I had a flash of inspiration: I have a dress bought in the last year or so that fits me perfectly and is from a well-known brand--I can look at the manufacturer's size chart and get a firmer idea of how those measurements translate to the real-life fit. When I actually checked the size chart, the bust measurement is slightly larger than what I measure and the hip measurement is a little small but not really relevant because the skirt flares starting above the hip. But the waist measurement is several inches smaller than the narrowest part of my torso (which is not my actual waist).  :o Unless my dress is a TARDIS, how is this possible? Anyone more experienced in buying dresses have any helpful guidance about the weird world of women's clothing sizes and how to guess from the measurements if a dress will fit?

No help here, but "My dress is not a TARDIS" sounds like an awesome anti-pick-up line.

"Hey baby, I won't blink 'cause you're a weeping angel!  Wanna come back to my place and see my sonic screwdriver?"
"Buzz off, jerkface.  My dress is not a TARDIS - the only one gonna fit in it is ME tonight."

How good would a dress that's bigger on the inside be? All this effort I'm putting into weight loss could be GONE! Just buy a TARDIS dress  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Carotte

« Reply #5777 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
I've often found in old books that instead of saying 'twenty-four' they used to say 'four and twenty', when did they stopped doing that and switched around?
Was it only used for someones age (the last time I read it it was about someones age, can't remember the other times)?
Was it used with other numbers, like five and thirty or something?

It seems weird that they even use to say it that way, I mean, it's not logic at all is it?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5778 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
Was it only used for someones age (the last time I read it it was about someones age, can't remember the other times)?

Blackbirds baked in a pie?  :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5779 on: September 29, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

Long form:

This might not really answer your question, but I'll give it a try.

Most size charts, but not all, give the measurements for the person who will fit in the garment, not the garment itself. All clothing is designed with "ease" built in--ease is extra room to allow the garment to fit and hang correctly, and to allow the wearer to be able to move easily in the garment. If the chart is giving the exact measurements of the garment, you would need to be at least an inch smaller than the measurements to fit into that piece of clothing.

Different types of clothing have different amounts of ease--skinny jeans don't have much, a flowing skirt has tons. A strapless dress won't have much ease at all in the bodice, because if it did, the top might fall down. But there could be lots of ease in the skirt if it is a full skirt. Or not much ease, if it is a straight skirt. Pencil skirts have a little bit of ease, but the reason most of them have a small slit or kick pleat in the back is that there isn't enough ease built into the skirt to allow for normal walking, so the slit is added so you can have enough room to move your legs normally.

So for many garments, you can be an inch or two larger or smaller than the manufacturer measurements and still have a piece of clothing that fits and flatters. Especially if the clothing is sized Small, Medium, and Large, where Small is usually two sizes, say 4 and 6, and Medium covers two sizes, 8 and 10, and Large is for both 12 and 14. But even something with a specific size, like size 8, has a little wiggle room in the fit.

The style of the garment has a lot to do with fit, as well. The manufacturer may give a waist measurement, but in an A-line dress that does not have a fitted waistline, it doesn't mean much, as the dress is not designed to fit closely at the waist, or at the hip, for that matter. The bust measurement may be the only one that really matters.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Amava

« Reply #5780 on: September 29, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
I've often found in old books that instead of saying 'twenty-four' they used to say 'four and twenty', when did they stopped doing that and switched around?
Was it used with other numbers, like five and thirty or something?

It seems weird that they even use to say it that way, I mean, it's not logic at all is it?

That's the way numbers are built in my language, too! (Dutch) And in German.   :D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5781 on: September 29, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
Ketchup vs Catsup

I've checked and discussed this before with others.  Most sources say ketchup and catsup are the same thing, just with a different spelling.  I actually don't care for either, but I don't think they are the same at all.  How do others feel? 

To me ketchup is:
Sweeter
Thicker
darker red
Has more Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice

Catsup is:
Runnier
brighter orange red
Has a less smooth texture
Has just a bit of cayenne pepper taste
More vinegar
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5782 on: September 29, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
Ketchup vs Catsup

I've checked and discussed this before with others.  Most sources say ketchup and catsup are the same thing, just with a different spelling.  I actually don't care for either, but I don't think they are the same at all.  How do others feel? 

To me ketchup is:
Sweeter
Thicker
darker red
Has more Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice

Catsup is:
Runnier
brighter orange red
Has a less smooth texture
Has just a bit of cayenne pepper taste
More vinegar

Honestly, I don't even notice what it says as long as I realize it is about that red color and has a tomato on the label.  Now I am going to do a test... because I love ketchup/catsup!  I used to eat ketchup/catsup sandwiches when I was a kid, just bread and ketchup/catsup.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5783 on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »
Re:  Cruise Control

I have just recently discovered the 'cancel' button.  It is effectively the same as braking but doesn't trigger the lights.  And it allows you to 'resume' to the previous setting.  If you turn it off, you have to reset it when you turn it back on.

So if I'm going to be going back to the same speed shortly, I'll use 'Cancel'.  If my speed will be changing, sometimes I'll use 'Off'.

Although I did save the guy behind me a speeding ticket once by tapping the brakes to disengage the cruise.  I spotted a car on the side of the road quite a ways up ahead.  Even though it wasn't marked, I immediately thought 'That's a cop' and tapped my brakes.  Guy behind me slowed down with me; guy behind him pulled out and passed both of us.  And was immediately pulled over.

My car doesn't have it, but Mr. Sirius' car does, and he loves it.  I can never get it to work.  He's patiently explained it to me when he's let me drive on trips (usually it takes a crowbar to get him out of the driver's seat) but I've never gotten it to work properly.  I do exactly what he does, and nothing happens.  Then again, it's always been obvious to me that his car likes him and not me.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #5784 on: September 30, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
We're more likely to just call it tomato sauce. I made a batch yesterday, it had canned tomatoes (because fresh are expensive at the moment), onions, spices, brown sugar, white wine vinegar and a touch of chilli.

Victoria

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #5785 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
Here's a question which has always bugged me. I'm watching a movie where the men are out on an egg hunt. (It's set 40,000 years ago, so don't get hung up on the morality of egg hunting). How do they know that the egg has an I fertilized yolk inside rather than a baby bird?do all female birds lay an egg every day? Or is that just chickens?

Victoria

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5786 on: September 30, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
Re:  Cruise Control

I have just recently discovered the 'cancel' button.  It is effectively the same as braking but doesn't trigger the lights.  And it allows you to 'resume' to the previous setting.  If you turn it off, you have to reset it when you turn it back on.

So if I'm going to be going back to the same speed shortly, I'll use 'Cancel'.  If my speed will be changing, sometimes I'll use 'Off'.

Although I did save the guy behind me a speeding ticket once by tapping the brakes to disengage the cruise.  I spotted a car on the side of the road quite a ways up ahead.  Even though it wasn't marked, I immediately thought 'That's a cop' and tapped my brakes.  Guy behind me slowed down with me; guy behind him pulled out and passed both of us.  And was immediately pulled over.

My car doesn't have it, but Mr. Sirius' car does, and he loves it.  I can never get it to work.  He's patiently explained it to me when he's let me drive on trips (usually it takes a crowbar to get him out of the driver's seat) but I've never gotten it to work properly.  I do exactly what he does, and nothing happens.  Then again, it's always been obvious to me that his car likes him and not me.
Everyone I know was stunned that I didn't want cruise control when I bought my car...actually I didn't want electric windows, mirrors, seat controls or really anything like that.  It doesn't matter what car, manufacturer, model, who it belonged to, etc., cruise control will not work for me.EVER.  When I had a car that had all the motorised options, they constantly died on me, never to work again.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5787 on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
Here's a question which has always bugged me. I'm watching a movie where the men are out on an egg hunt. (It's set 40,000 years ago, so don't get hung up on the morality of egg hunting). How do they know that the egg has an I fertilized yolk inside rather than a baby bird?do all female birds lay an egg every day? Or is that just chickens?

They didn't care what level of development the egg was in.

Domestic chickens are bred to lay about an egg a day during their prime, ostriches lay an average of 60 a year according to one source, kiwis one a season, and robins lay 2 or 3 clutches year.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #5788 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
How exactly does layaway work?  Wouldn't it just be more effective to save up and go buy the items?  Do you get your money back if you change your mind?

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5789 on: September 30, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
Yes, dietcoke, it would be more effective to save up - but this is America, darn it! Why save?  ;)

For a small fee, you choose your item(s) and they put them aside for you. You go back once/week to make payments, et voila! By Christmas you are the proud owner. Economists and consumer watchdogs don't like it - you're essentially paying interest on your purchase before you even own it.