Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 966494 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5790 on: October 01, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
Here's a question which has always bugged me. I'm watching a movie where the men are out on an egg hunt. (It's set 40,000 years ago, so don't get hung up on the morality of egg hunting). How do they know that the egg has an I fertilized yolk inside rather than a baby bird?do all female birds lay an egg every day? Or is that just chickens?

They didn't care what level of development the egg was in.

Domestic chickens are bred to lay about an egg a day during their prime, ostriches lay an average of 60 a year according to one source, kiwis one a season, and robins lay 2 or 3 clutches year.

If the egg is fertilized, it doesn't instantly develop into a chick and even if there is a chick inside, it's still a source of protein. Some cultures especially prize those eggs.

Under no circumstances Google "balut."

What am I, 14 again?  You tell me not to do something and that's why I immediately go do...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5791 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:01 AM »
Here's a question which has always bugged me. I'm watching a movie where the men are out on an egg hunt. (It's set 40,000 years ago, so don't get hung up on the morality of egg hunting). How do they know that the egg has an I fertilized yolk inside rather than a baby bird?do all female birds lay an egg every day? Or is that just chickens?

They didn't care what level of development the egg was in.

Domestic chickens are bred to lay about an egg a day during their prime, ostriches lay an average of 60 a year according to one source, kiwis one a season, and robins lay 2 or 3 clutches year.

If the egg is fertilized, it doesn't instantly develop into a chick and even if there is a chick inside, it's still a source of protein. Some cultures especially prize those eggs.

Under no circumstances Google "balut."

What am I, 14 again?  You tell me not to do something and that's why I immediately go do...

LOL! My curiosity would have bitten me as well, but I've heard of balut before. I really don't want to see any pics (or use up all the brain bleach trying to get rid of them).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Vall

« Reply #5792 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »
I'm a 47 year old who had to fight the urge to Google...
Why do I still have the strong urge to do some things I'm advised not to do?

GreenHall

« Reply #5793 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:22 AM »
...Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem...
I got a laser pointer for the cat.  It had a sticker, don't point at eyes, or don't look at the laser or something similar.  It would NOT have occured to me to look at it, until they said that...and now I wonder what it looks like....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5794 on: October 01, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
I sometimes grab the office mail from up front when I need a stroll in the afternoon to wake up and get the blood moving again.

Regular envelopes don't interest me at all.  I grab one marked Personal and/or Confidential?  I immediately want to know what is in that envelope.  I'd never look but it just makes me insanely curious.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Iris

« Reply #5795 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
I got a laser pointer for the cat.  It had a sticker, don't point at eyes, or don't look at the laser or something similar.  It would NOT have occured to me to look at it, until they said that...and now I wonder what it looks like....

From what I hear, it looks like pain...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5796 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
Actually, the regular commercial laser pointers won't damage your eye unless you really intentionally stare into them for quite a while.  Which some people do   ::)  Stronger lasers, though, will blind you in much less time.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5797 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »
Carotte wrote:

"I've often found in old books that instead of saying 'twenty-four' they used to say 'four and twenty', when did they stopped doing that and switched around?
Was it only used for someones age (the last time I read it it was about someones age, can't remember the other times)?
Was it used with other numbers, like five and thirty or something?"

The history is (as Amava said) that some languages do assemble numbers like that.  For English, it's either a Germanic speaker directly translating or a change of word order to fit the meter of a poem or song, or a figure of speech like the twist used in the Gettysburg Address.

dietcokeofevil wrote:

"How exactly does layaway work?  Wouldn't it just be more effective to save up and go buy the items?  Do you get your money back if you change your mind?"

The main reason to buy something on layaway is to make sure it doesn't sell out before you can afford it.  And in most places, layaway is a delayed purchase, where you don't get the item until you've paid the full price, so most places can handle "returns" if you decide you don't want it after you've paid part of it.  There will usually be rules about forfeit in the case of clearance or seasonal items and such, but most of the time they can just reshelve it (it never left their possession so it's still new goods) so they'll give you back what you paid in, minus the fees, if you change your mind.

Vall wrote:

"Why do I still have the strong urge to do some things I'm advised not to do?"

I don't know, but whatever you do, don't try to look up "reverse psychology".

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5798 on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
Don't you mean "Don't try not to refrain from abstaining to fail to not look up reverse psychology?"

Or am I speaking Bizarro language?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5799 on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

To me, it just looks like light. My super bright LED flashlight (which i of course shined right into my eye upon receiving ) was much more dramatic.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

StarFaerie

« Reply #5800 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

I couldn't resist the urge to Google it. It was awesome  ;D I'm 36 and should be well past that.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5801 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
I should know this by now . . .

A white dress with black polka dots (dots being about 2") is a no-no for a wedding, right?

What about an all black dress?

Iris

« Reply #5802 on: October 01, 2012, 05:54:01 PM »

To me, it just looks like light. My super bright LED flashlight (which i of course shined right into my eye upon receiving ) was much more dramatic.

I have no personal experience, I was basing it on a student who had a laser pointer shined in his eyes by another student. There was no lasting damage thankfully but he was hospitalised for a day or so. I don't know how long he was exposed to it.

I'm intrigued that you have apparently experimented though. Do you get very bored sometimes?  ;)

Iris

« Reply #5803 on: October 01, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »

A white dress with black polka dots (dots being about 2") is a no-no for a wedding, right?

According to tradition an all black dress is a no-no and a white dress with black polka dots is borderline depending on the ratio of colours if you kwim.

These days though things are more relaxed and I have seen plenty of black dresses at weddings. So I think it's more a local custom thing now. It would depend on how tradition-bound your region is. Not very helpful, sorry.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5804 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »

According to tradition an all black dress is a no-no and a white dress with black polka dots is borderline depending on the ratio of colours if you kwim.

These days though things are more relaxed and I have seen plenty of black dresses at weddings. So I think it's more a local custom thing now. It would depend on how tradition-bound your region is. Not very helpful, sorry.
Unless the bride's chosen gown is covered with black polka dots or it was YOUR wedding gown, I think you'd be OK.  The stricture against not wearing white at the wedding is so that it doesn't look like you're trying to upstage the bride. "Look at me, I used to be a bride too!" or "Look at me, I could be a bride too!  All I need is a bridegroom!" (Originally I wrote "so that people aren't confused about who is the bride", but she's the one walking up the aisle, right? ;) )
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~