Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065294 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5805 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
I should know this by now . . .

A white dress with black polka dots (dots being about 2") is a no-no for a wedding, right?

What about an all black dress?

According to tradition an all black dress is a no-no and a white dress with black polka dots is borderline depending on the ratio of colours if you kwim.

These days though things are more relaxed and I have seen plenty of black dresses at weddings. So I think it's more a local custom thing now. It would depend on how tradition-bound your region is. Not very helpful, sorry.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Along the lines of what I was thinking and remembering for proper wedding attire.

Sigh. Off to buy DD#2 a dress for an upcoming wedding rather than using one of the many that she has from homecoming dances, etc.

Thanks, Elfmama . . . you posted while I was replying. Hmmmm . . .

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5806 on: October 01, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
I think the polka dot dress would be lovely for the wedding.  I'd pair it with some red earrings and red peep-toe heels.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5807 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
I think the polka dot dress would be lovely for the wedding.  I'd pair it with some red earrings and red peep-toe heels.

Yes, it sounds like the polka dots are large enough so that even from a distance, the dress won't appear white. As long as the basic style of the dress isn't bridal, and the accessories are in a color that isn't white, I think the dress should be fine.

It isn't a white dress. It is a white and black dress. Pair it with red or turquoise or hot pink or green accessories and she'll be fine. Just avoid anything that could read as "bridal."
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5808 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »

Yes, it sounds like the polka dots are large enough so that even from a distance, the dress won't appear white. As long as the basic style of the dress isn't bridal, and the accessories are in a color that isn't white, I think the dress should be fine.

It isn't a white dress. It is a white and black dress. Pair it with red or turquoise or hot pink or green accessories and she'll be fine. Just avoid anything that could read as "bridal."

Thanks all!

We'll still have to shop for a bolero type jacket (the dress is strapless) so I'm going to start a new thread . . . anybody want to help us shop? ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5809 on: October 02, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
I'm a 47 year old who had to fight the urge to Google...
Why do I still have the strong urge to do some things I'm advised not to do?
...Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem...
I got a laser pointer for the cat.  It had a sticker, don't point at eyes, or don't look at the laser or something similar.  It would NOT have occured to me to look at it, until they said that...and now I wonder what it looks like....

From what I hear, it looks like pain...

To me, it just looks like light. My super bright LED flashlight (which i of course shined right into my eye upon receiving ) was much more dramatic.

I have no personal experience, I was basing it on a student who had a laser pointer shined in his eyes by another student. There was no lasting damage thankfully but he was hospitalised for a day or so. I don't know how long he was exposed to it.

I'm intrigued that you have apparently experimented though. Do you get very bored sometimes?  ;)

LOL, that coupled with a lack of common sense.
I had no idea they could put you in the hospital. I am glad i didn't hurt myself.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5810 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:11 PM »
This is a question for librarians.  Is it OK to return materials a few days (or even the next day) after borrowing?  I'm a fast reader and watch movies quickly or sometimes just know I won't enjoy a book after a few pages.  Is it annoying or bothersome to return them way before the due date?

Why would it be?
Words mean things.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5811 on: October 02, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »

Thanks all!

We'll still have to shop for a bolero type jacket (the dress is strapless) so I'm going to start a new thread . . . anybody want to help us shop? ;D

Incidentally, the spirit (if not letter) of the rules against white and black are to avoid clothing that is either bridal or funereal. That is the primary reason why there are regions of the country where a little black dress is entirely appropriate -- people wear those to dress up all the time, and they don't look like funeral attire.

And when you really boil down the spirit of the rules for wedding guest attire, it's really just to avoid attention-grabbing clothing.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5812 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
This is a question for librarians.  Is it OK to return materials a few days (or even the next day) after borrowing?  I'm a fast reader and watch movies quickly or sometimes just know I won't enjoy a book after a few pages.  Is it annoying or bothersome to return them way before the due date?

Why would it be?

For one thing, if it is a really popular boook with a lot of reserves, that is great!

Yes! As a school librarian, I did sometimes ask. "Did you get into it and not finish it?", "Did you love it and read it quick like a bunny?". merely because I wanted to tell the other students.

As a public librarian, it is none of my business unless the borrower wants to tell me something.

Anyway, most returns are anonymous.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5813 on: October 03, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »

You probably should avoid wearing a white veil and asking 4 of your friends to dress in matching taffeta dresses, too 
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:06:38 AM by LadyJaneinMD »

NyaChan

« Reply #5814 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »
My stupid questions:

1)  There is a sign that says right turn signal in the far right lane and 2 additional lights for the 2 left lanes.  The two lanes are green and the right turn signal is red (next will turn into green arrow, then yellow arrow, then plain red again).  You have to wait for the green arrow regardless of what the other two lanes have right?

2)  There was an accident right in front of my house (frankly I'm surprised it took this long...) during rush hour yesterday morning.  Who is supposed to call it in, and who are they supposed to call?  (I called 911, but I'm pretty sure the driver did too though it was too late for me to hang up). 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5815 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
My stupid questions:

1)  There is a sign that says right turn signal in the far right lane and 2 additional lights for the 2 left lanes.  The two lanes are green and the right turn signal is red (next will turn into green arrow, then yellow arrow, then plain red again).  You have to wait for the green arrow regardless of what the other two lanes have right?

2)  There was an accident right in front of my house (frankly I'm surprised it took this long...) during rush hour yesterday morning.  Who is supposed to call it in, and who are they supposed to call?  (I called 911, but I'm pretty sure the driver did too though it was too late for me to hang up).

1) Yes. There may be other lanes of traffic feeding into that right turn that you can't see/know about.

2) Whoever sees the accident can call it in, usually to 911. While I'm sure 911 doesn't want to get 20 calls about the same accident, it is better to have 5 calls than none. You might have seen the driver on a phone, but he/she could be calling work, or family, or a restaurant to get reservations changed. And if you are calling from a landline, 911 can pinpoint your location much more easily than trying to figure out where a cell phone is, especially if the cell phone is an older model.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5816 on: October 03, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
ok this is driving me mad. when people say "I was in Labor for X time" what do they mean?

They are being competitive and I know I should just ignore it, but it bugs me that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Is it from when you start having full on contractions or when they are a few minuets apart? what?

I have had a baby and I just don't know when the "Start" time is meant to be.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5817 on: October 03, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
ok this is driving me mad. when people say "I was in Labor for X time" what do they mean?

They are being competitive and I know I should just ignore it, but it bugs me that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Is it from when you start having full on contractions or when they are a few minuets apart? what?

When it's said in a "bragging contest" sort of way, it's usually based on counting from the very first noticeable contraction.  My mom says she was in labor for 36 hours with me, but it was really 24 hours of "hmm, guess the baby's coming sometime soon!" and 12 of "guess we should get to the hospital then."

CakeBeret

« Reply #5818 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »

I was induced, and the whole thing was about 8 hours, start to finish. I count the start point being when they started me on the pitocin.

I think many women start counting from the time they realize the contractions are for real and not braxton-hicks.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5819 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "competitive," but I was in labor for 36 hours with my first. I woke up in labor. The first 12 hours were very uncomfortable and pretty regular, but not yet painful. I'd had noticeable Braxton-Hicks all through pregnancy (this is actually normal; it's just that for some weird reason, most women don't feel them until later on), so I knew the difference. The next 10 were mind-numbing horrible agony, and the next 12 were blissfully drugged. So I guess you might say I was in labor for 22 hours, if you're talking about when it starts to be horrible.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah