Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 840611 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5820 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
My stupid questions:

1)  There is a sign that says right turn signal in the far right lane and 2 additional lights for the 2 left lanes.  The two lanes are green and the right turn signal is red (next will turn into green arrow, then yellow arrow, then plain red again).  You have to wait for the green arrow regardless of what the other two lanes have right?

2)  There was an accident right in front of my house (frankly I'm surprised it took this long...) during rush hour yesterday morning.  Who is supposed to call it in, and who are they supposed to call?  (I called 911, but I'm pretty sure the driver did too though it was too late for me to hang up).

1) Yes. There may be other lanes of traffic feeding into that right turn that you can't see/know about.

2) Whoever sees the accident can call it in, usually to 911. While I'm sure 911 doesn't want to get 20 calls about the same accident, it is better to have 5 calls than none. You might have seen the driver on a phone, but he/she could be calling work, or family, or a restaurant to get reservations changed. And if you are calling from a landline, 911 can pinpoint your location much more easily than trying to figure out where a cell phone is, especially if the cell phone is an older model.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5821 on: October 03, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
ok this is driving me mad. when people say "I was in Labor for X time" what do they mean?

They are being competitive and I know I should just ignore it, but it bugs me that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Is it from when you start having full on contractions or when they are a few minuets apart? what?

I have had a baby and I just don't know when the "Start" time is meant to be.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5822 on: October 03, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
ok this is driving me mad. when people say "I was in Labor for X time" what do they mean?

They are being competitive and I know I should just ignore it, but it bugs me that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Is it from when you start having full on contractions or when they are a few minuets apart? what?

When it's said in a "bragging contest" sort of way, it's usually based on counting from the very first noticeable contraction.  My mom says she was in labor for 36 hours with me, but it was really 24 hours of "hmm, guess the baby's coming sometime soon!" and 12 of "guess we should get to the hospital then."

CakeBeret

« Reply #5823 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »

I was induced, and the whole thing was about 8 hours, start to finish. I count the start point being when they started me on the pitocin.

I think many women start counting from the time they realize the contractions are for real and not braxton-hicks.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5824 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "competitive," but I was in labor for 36 hours with my first. I woke up in labor. The first 12 hours were very uncomfortable and pretty regular, but not yet painful. I'd had noticeable Braxton-Hicks all through pregnancy (this is actually normal; it's just that for some weird reason, most women don't feel them until later on), so I knew the difference. The next 10 were mind-numbing horrible agony, and the next 12 were blissfully drugged. So I guess you might say I was in labor for 22 hours, if you're talking about when it starts to be horrible.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5825 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "competitive," but I was in labor for 36 hours with my first. I woke up in labor. The first 12 hours were very uncomfortable and pretty regular, but not yet painful. I'd had noticeable Braxton-Hicks all through pregnancy (this is actually normal; it's just that for some weird reason, most women don't feel them until later on), so I knew the difference. The next 10 were mind-numbing horrible agony, and the next 12 were blissfully drugged. So I guess you might say I was in labor for 22 hours, if you're talking about when it starts to be horrible.

at my mum and baby's group there is a lot of "Well I was in labor for ..." and then they look at you expectantly. The more traumatic and horror filled the more points they get. I drive them mad because I don't play.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Coruscation

« Reply #5826 on: October 03, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Officially labour starts when you are three centimetres dilated. I think that's the point of no return for stopping it. Most women count from the first contraction, although to be fair, unless they are in a hospital, they wouldn't necessarily know how dilated they were. When a doctor or nurse says "You've been in labour for twenty four hours, we're going to have to induce you," that is when they are counting from.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5827 on: October 03, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
Officially labour starts when you are three centimetres dilated. I think that's the point of no return for stopping it. Most women count from the first contraction, although to be fair, unless they are in a hospital, they wouldn't necessarily know how dilated they were. When a doctor or nurse says "You've been in labour for twenty four hours, we're going to have to induce you," that is when they are counting from.

Huh. I'd never heard that before. I was in terrible pain for hours before they were able to admit me (back labor), but I didn't realize they didn't even count labor as starting until that point. That seems very odd to me.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Coruscation

« Reply #5828 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Especially with a second or subsequent baby, you can be quite dilated before labour starts. I think there might also be other ways to be official, like pains X minutes apart as well. My cousin says she was in labour for 32 hours but her first few contractions were half an hour apart, so for 'official' counting, the doctor said eight. If you had contractions five minutes apart for 32 hours with no baby the doctor would be concerned about non-progression of labour, if they were half an hour apart for the first day, its much less of a concern.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #5829 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
Especially with a second or subsequent baby, you can be quite dilated before labour starts.
I know one young woman who was "in labor" by that standard for about 3 weeks.  Her cervix had thinned out, the way it does in very early labor, and was slightly dilated.  Every week her doctor kept saying "Any day now!"  Her mother had a birthing kit packed and in the car, because she had visions of a few good hard contractions and here's the baby being born on the side of the road, long before they got to the hospital.

The young woman made it to the hospital in time, but she was only in contraction-type labor for about 4 hours.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

exitzero

« Reply #5830 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »
Especially with a second or subsequent baby, you can be quite dilated before labour starts. I think there might also be other ways to be official, like pains X minutes apart as well. My cousin says she was in labour for 32 hours but her first few contractions were half an hour apart, so for 'official' counting, the doctor said eight. If you had contractions five minutes apart for 32 hours with no baby the doctor would be concerned about non-progression of labour, if they were half an hour apart for the first day, its much less of a concern.

Reading these stories reminds my of Rita Rudner's line: I don't even want to do something that feels good for 32 hours!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5831 on: October 04, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »

Reading these stories reminds my of Rita Rudner's line: I don't even want to do something that feels good for 32 hours!

That is one of my favorite lines from any comedian ever.  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bluenomi

« Reply #5832 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

When the midwives were doing my labour paperwork they actually asked what time I wanted to put down as the start of my labour. They weren't fussed if it was from when I got to contractions 5 mins apart at home, when I got to the hospital or when they checked and I was 3cm dialated. I didn't care at the time, I was in labour! In the end I think they put down the time they checked me since they knew exactly when that was.

Some people count pre labour as labour, others don't, some only count from strong regular contractions, other count from any niggle! It gets a bit confusing.

dawnfire

« Reply #5833 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »
I take it from when my water breaks. In my case it seems to be getting shorter and shorter 12 hours with my eldest, 6 hours with my middle and 1 hour with my youngest. I swear if i have another i'm camping out at the hospital for the last month.  ;D

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5834 on: October 05, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
I take it from when my water breaks. In my case it seems to be getting shorter and shorter 12 hours with my eldest, 6 hours with my middle and 1 hour with my youngest. I swear if i have another i'm camping out at the hospital for the last month.  ;D

My water didn't break until I was ready to go into the delivery room both times, so that wouldn't work for me!

(Both of my children were born before it was the norm for fathers to be present at the birth, but
Lucas was there for my labors.)