Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 836910 times)

Snooks

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5850 on: October 10, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
Older crossings in the UK go red instantly if you press them three times in quick succession, unfortunately it doesn't work for newer ones.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #5851 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
Older crossings in the UK go red instantly if you press them three times in quick succession, unfortunately it doesn't work for newer ones.

They do? How did I not know that?
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5852 on: October 10, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »
There are a lot of intersections where I live that don't cycle through the lights in exactly the same way each time. The specific order in which people get green lights (and the length of time they last) varies based on the time of day, but also based on sensors. Since pedestrians can't have those neat sensors they put in the roads to determine if there are cars waiting, the button is all there is. :) In situations like that, I think people tend to push it repeatedly because, for one thing, it's not like it's hurting anyone, and for another, if the button isn't pushed at some intersections, there won't ever be a walk signal at all. They may also be thinking that pushing it more often actually will register more "demand" and make the signal appear faster.

With regard to elevator buttons, there are two I use daily at work. The one inside the parking garage stays open for a loooong time if you leave it to its own devices. The close door button definitely cuts off a good 5 seconds on that one. The one inside my building has the doors open for a much shorter time, so I'm not really sure the button does much of anything. It does seem to close the doors a little faster if you hit immediately upon getting in the elevator, but it doesn't always work.

magicdomino

« Reply #5853 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
New stupid question:  Why is Samhain pronounced SOW-win?  Or, more precisely, why is SOW-win spelled samhain?  It starts with "s" and ends with "n", but the letters in the center have little or no association with their usual sounds. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5854 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
^ Somebody told me that the door close button in the elevator doesn't actually do anything; it just makes the pusher feel like they're doing something.  I don't ride in many elevators so I haven't had a chance to see if that's true.

Ours works.  As does the "Door Open" button. (to throw a bone to those coming up to the elevator just as the doors start to close.)   :)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5855 on: October 10, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »
New stupid question:  Why is Samhain pronounced SOW-win?  Or, more precisely, why is SOW-win spelled samhain?  It starts with "s" and ends with "n", but the letters in the center have little or no association with their usual sounds.

I believe it's Celtic (or even outright Irish?) and the "mh" produces a different sound than one would expect.  Like the "bh" combonation makes a "V" sound.  (the name "Siobhan" is pronounced "Shi-vahn")

Snooks

« Reply #5856 on: October 10, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »

I'm not sure if any still exist, there was on near me that used to do it and long long ago (maybe forty years ago) all the ones on Oxford Street and Regent Street used to do it.  Supposedly it was to allow police to cross busy roads quickly.  However it's an urban myth that flashing headlights/sirens trigger traffic lights to change.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #5857 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »

I'm not sure if any still exist, there was on near me that used to do it and long long ago (maybe forty years ago) all the ones on Oxford Street and Regent Street used to do it.  Supposedly it was to allow police to cross busy roads quickly.  However it's an urban myth that flashing headlights/sirens trigger traffic lights to change.

I will be testing them out. If you read about a crazy woman pushing the buttons enthusiastically around the Home Counties that may be me.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5858 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
New question.

I watch too much bar and restaurant rescue type shows. One guy said that about 60% of people check Yelp! or look at reviews before going to a new place.

I don't because all I care about usually is cleanliness and odor. The few times I have checked, it's just out of curiousity about places I am familiar with.

I get a chuckle when people hate our Culver's. They seem to expect fine dining or expect lower fast food prices. Hey! It's clean, has a diverse menu served quickly with a smile and usually well prepared with foods of a better quality than other fast food places. I love it for what it is.

Our middle dining local Italian restaurant serves only fresh food or prepared food that day (lasagna, soups), has large portions for the price and servers are well-trained. It's a little slow, but then again, it's never been over 25 minutes and has always been well presented. The reviews complained about the prices (same as Olive Garden, really), odd foods (well described on the menu), and slow service. The most complimentary comment was that the decor is nice. Our whole extended family loves it.

Another place is highly praised. I walked out after I tried to sit in three different (upholstered) chairs that were filthy - sticky and crusty. A quick glance indicated that most of the chairs were like that. We had been there several years ago and it was OK. I don't think they have ever shampooed the chairs and I shudder to think what that says about the back kitchen.

Sorry for so much detail, but I want to make may point, which really is, "Do you check reviews and go by them? I don't."

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5859 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
It depends on how much I "want".  If I really want to go despite it having a 3 star review, I'll go to find out for myself.  I also look to see how many 1 star vs 5 star reviews there are.  If there are a lot of 1 star reviews and only about half more 5 star, I probably won't go.  If there are 6 1 star and 200+ 5 star, I'll go.  I read the best and the worst reviews all with a grain of salt; I just want to make an informed decision, even if that means I'm informed that the service is slow and I still go.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5860 on: October 10, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
It depends on where you live, too.  If you're in a big city and you're craving Japanese, you probably have half a dozen places within twenty minutes of you.  If you're in a small town, you might be lucky to have one.  When you've got more choices, you're more likely to look up reviews as a way to make a decision among restaurants you've never been to.

o_gal

« Reply #5861 on: October 10, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
^ Somebody told me that the door close button in the elevator doesn't actually do anything; it just makes the pusher feel like they're doing something.  I don't ride in many elevators so I haven't had a chance to see if that's true.

I can't seem to find a reference, however I believe that is a myth and that in fact a non-functioning close button would render the elevator non-compliant with safety standards.

It was in the NOVA episode "Trapped in an Elevator" that originally aired a couple of years ago. In it, an engineer from one of the elevator companies stated that by design, the close button doesn't work, they just put it in there to make people feel like they are doing something. He didn't say it in a joking manner, more in a "here's the real scoop on the close button". But that's all the evidence I have.

Nibsey

« Reply #5862 on: October 10, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »

It's old Irish. The month of November in modern Irish is na Samhna and Halloween is Oíche Shamhna (night of November) and the festival is Samhain. In Irish Sa is a 'so' sound, mh is a 'w' sound and ain is a 'in' sound.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #5863 on: October 10, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

I believe it's Celtic (or even outright Irish?) and the "mh" produces a different sound than one would expect.  Like the "bh" combonation makes a "V" sound.  (the name "Siobhan" is pronounced "Shi-vahn")
Yes, it's Gaelic (Celtic refers to a lot of things, not just language.)  One of our Irish members may chime in here, but looking at it from an American's point of view, in Irish Gaelic, 'h' after a letter means "backspace and delete."  That is, you eliminate both the preceding letter and the 'h.' 

Except when it doesn't.  Siobhan is the poster child for this.  I believe it also has something to do with the vowels and whether they are 'broad' or 'slender.'  Don't ask me to explain what THOSE are!  :D I have no idea.

The classic name to illustrate this is "Mathghamhan."  The Anglicized version is "Mahon."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5864 on: October 10, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
Snooks wrote:

"However it's an urban myth that flashing headlights/sirens trigger traffic lights to change."

For headlights, it doesn't work.  For strobe lights, it does, as long as the signal has a strobe sensor, and most emergency vehicles (the kinds that would have a siren in the first place) will have strobes to trigger them.

o_gal wrote:

"It was in the NOVA episode "Trapped in an Elevator" that originally aired a couple of years ago. In it, an engineer from one of the elevator companies stated that by design, the close button doesn't work, they just put it in there to make people feel like they are doing something."

I just went out and did some testing with our elevator.  Without pushing the button, the door took eight seconds to close after opening every single time.  When I pushed the button at five seconds, the door reacted by closing immediately every time.  I can't answer for your particular engineer, but I suspect he's either shining on the viewers or he's alone in his understanding.

Virg