Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1014818 times)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5910 on: October 22, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
I personally put zero credence in dreams as a window into future events, but I do think they're a good way to get a glimpse of your subconscious. <snip>

Virg

Totally agree.  It's been on your mind a lot, very natural that it would come out in your dreams, especially if you tend to remember dreams.  Maybe it's a way for your subconscious to have a little fun trying out alternate scenarios.   :)

Or, it's a way for your brain to channel some other frustration or fear - for example, I've had dreams where I am ignored by a store clerk or disrespected in some way and I get angry and yell or otherwise try to take back control of the situation.  I usually realize that it's because I'm stressed about something else entirely, a real-life situation where I feel a bit powerless but I don't know how to solve it, so the dream is an emotional outlet of sorts.

I agree, a lot of it is indeed the subconscious.  I thought I was doing "okay" a few months after my husband's death even acknowledging what would have been his birthday.

And I had one of the worst nights of my life - dream after dream of me blowing up at him over the stupidest things - like not putting his used dishes into the dishwasher right away (and I'm not exactly Suzie Homemaker myself).  Of course, it wouldn't take a rocket-scientist-psychiatrist to figure out that it was suppressed-anger over him "leaving".  Again, I'm functioning okay on a day-to-day basis, but there's no denying that there's still thoughts there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tattoo since you're confident about the artist, but you can't help that concerns are on your mind.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5911 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
Lately, I have been working on polishing myself in professional situations, to make getting the next position up the ladder possible next year. One of the projects now underway is a redesign of my personal office. I am not going to use the overhead fluorescent lighting, instead I will use a few lamps. I am also having photographs I have taken printed in a large format, matted and framed for my walls.

I am dreaming about shopping for lamps every night. It is so stupid::)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5912 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
Recently, I have had recurring dreams that my high school diploma is not valid and I have to go back to school (even though I am a 32 year old professional, with an engineering degree and a career where no one could care less about my high school). I guess there are no equivalency diplomas in dream land.

Betelnut

« Reply #5913 on: October 23, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Recently, I have had recurring dreams that my high school diploma is not valid and I have to go back to school (even though I am a 32 year old professional, with an engineering degree and a career where no one could care less about my high school). I guess there are no equivalency diplomas in dream land.

I had a dream once where I had to go back to first grade because of some kind of mistake somewhere.  Even in the dream, I was sitting there at a little desk thinking, "Oh, this is going to be so easy!"
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5914 on: October 23, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
Documents can survive for very long times and ancient documents can be surprisingly familiar.

The Vindolanda letters give us a good idea of what life was like for Roman soldiers serving on Hadrian's Wall.  One that sticks in my mind was sent by a woman.  It tells the soldier that she has sent him, 'X pair of socks and Y pair of underpants'. 

There's also a whining letter from a kid who lived in Egypt about 200 BCE. His father had promised him a trip to Alexandria but, due to business pressures, had to renege on his promise and make the trip alone.  The letter may be over 2000 years old but every parent can relate to it.  The boy's letter essentially says,

YOU'RE THE WORST DAD IN THE WORLD AND I CAN NEVER TRUST YOU AGAIN !!!!

'
My husband loves to quote a business letter from ancient Sumer in which someone said, "You sent me lousy copper! What did I ever do to you, that you would send me such lousy copper. What did anyone from my city ever do to you, that you would send me such lousy copper."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5915 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
Documents can survive for very long times and ancient documents can be surprisingly familiar.

The Vindolanda letters give us a good idea of what life was like for Roman soldiers serving on Hadrian's Wall.  One that sticks in my mind was sent by a woman.  It tells the soldier that she has sent him, 'X pair of socks and Y pair of underpants'. 

There's also a whining letter from a kid who lived in Egypt about 200 BCE. His father had promised him a trip to Alexandria but, due to business pressures, had to renege on his promise and make the trip alone.  The letter may be over 2000 years old but every parent can relate to it.  The boy's letter essentially says,

YOU'RE THE WORST DAD IN THE WORLD AND I CAN NEVER TRUST YOU AGAIN !!!!

'
My husband loves to quote a business letter from ancient Sumer in which someone said, "You sent me lousy copper! What did I ever do to you, that you would send me such lousy copper. What did anyone from my city ever do to you, that you would send me such lousy copper."
There is also a fascinating series of birch bark documents from medieval Novgorod in Russia.  They are the writing lessons of a child named Onfim, something VERY rare in early documents, since paper/papyrus/parchment was too expensive for a child to scribble on.  Birch bark, however, was essentially free.  Just peel it off the tree.  Onfim occasionally deserted his lesson to draw pictures:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5916 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
There's also the student tablet from Ancient Egypt. I believe it may be in the Louvre.

At that time, students wrote their assignments on thin sheets of wood that had been whitewashed.  The teacher would correct the assignments by placing red dots over errors.

This particular student was either extremely lazy or dumb as a box of rocks.  The tablet bristles with red dots. In the margin, the exasperated teacher has written the New Kongdom equivalent of, ''NO, NO, NO!!!'

lilfox

« Reply #5917 on: October 23, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
Lately, I have been working on polishing myself in professional situations, to make getting the next position up the ladder possible next year. One of the projects now underway is a redesign of my personal office. I am not going to use the overhead fluorescent lighting, instead I will use a few lamps. I am also having photographs I have taken printed in a large format, matted and framed for my walls.

I am dreaming about shopping for lamps every night. It is so stupid::)

I do this with jewelry shopping and clothing shopping.  It is frustrating, slow, and when I finally find something I like, it's fictional!  I would be an awesome designer if I remembered what this stuff looked like when I was fully awake...  :-)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5918 on: October 23, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
How much credence do you give dreams?

None, actually. If dream-prophecy were a reliable indicator, dream prophets would be rich.
Words mean things.

mmswm

« Reply #5919 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »

I've had a similar dream where I have to go back to high school because for whatever reason my math credits weren't valid and I didn't really graduate.  In real life, I have a master's in Mathematics, so it's weird that it's the math classes that I'm lacking in the dreams.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #5920 on: October 24, 2012, 07:08:30 AM »

I had a dream once where I had to go back to first grade because of some kind of mistake somewhere.  Even in the dream, I was sitting there at a little desk thinking, "Oh, this is going to be so easy!"

Like Billy Madison!  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

CakeBeret

« Reply #5921 on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Well, I am happy to report that the tattoo went swimmingly! Thanks for the reassurances. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Girlie

« Reply #5922 on: October 24, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
Glad to hear it! :)

I will say, though, that I have had dreams that have come true.
But that's not the "usual" for me, and I don't think every - or even the vast majority - of dreams are anything more than subconcious scribbling. The ones that have come true normally have caught me off guard after the fact.
Anyway, my latest dream involves me being in high school and not being able to find my classroom. By the time I find my class, Dream Me realizes that I actually graduated eight years ago and can leave whenever I feel like it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5923 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
Going to step in here just to tell you that you don't ourgrow those school dreams.

It wasn't too long ago I dreamed that I lost my schedule - in high school, then turned up in my nightgown for a college course.

I have graduated, worked, and retired. By the way, the generations get mixed up. One of our kids was an instructor.

OK! Ready for a new topic.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5924 on: October 24, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
How on Earth to people get Saran wrap (cling wrap, plastic wrap, whateveryoucallit) to actually stick?  I can never do it consistently and even when I do get it to stick, it is so rare that I can't figure out how I did it.  If I had my own place, I would have Press'n'Seal, but I'm using what Mental Mother has.  Someone please help!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.