Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1057671 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6015 on: November 07, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
I'm happy to report that the chili turned pretty good :)
it cooked/simmered for about 2 hours and some in the end, and I made do with the spices I had taken with me (didn't cook it in my home) so I'm not actually sure what I put in it or how much, good thing it's a good "wing-it" recipe!

Now my question, why is it so hard to come up with meal ideas? I don't even have to plan it for 4 peoples and a week, it's just two/three meals for two!

www.Allrecipes.com is your friend  ;D  Hit "ingredient" under the search box at the top, then put in what you want to cook with on the left and what you want to avoid on the right.  It's really useful for when you know you have ground beef and you're thinking something tomato-based but don't have any cheese, or you want something with curry and fruit in it but don't really care what.  I like looking at whatever's on sale at the grocery store each week and planning based on that - I never have to scramble at dinner time, and it's cheaper this way!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6016 on: November 07, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
it cooked/simmered for about 2 hours and some in the end, and I made do with the spices I had taken with me (didn't cook it in my home) so I'm not actually sure what I put in it or how much, good thing it's a good "wing-it" recipe!

Now my question, why is it so hard to come up with meal ideas? I don't even have to plan it for 4 peoples and a week, it's just two/three meals for two!

Yay for the chili turning out well!

I just look at my local grocery's circular and plan around what proteins are on sale.

CakeBeret

« Reply #6017 on: November 07, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

Start reading food blogs regularly, and it becomes very easy. :D My favorites are budgetbytes.blogspot.com and skinnytaste.com. I always have more recipes in mind than groceries to buy.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6018 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »

www.Allrecipes.com is your friend  ;D  Hit "ingredient" under the search box at the top, then put in what you want to cook with on the left and what you want to avoid on the right.  It's really useful for when you know you have ground beef and you're thinking something tomato-based but don't have any cheese, or you want something with curry and fruit in it but don't really care what.  I like looking at whatever's on sale at the grocery store each week and planning based on that - I never have to scramble at dinner time, and it's cheaper this way!

Thanks for sharing! WeightWatchers has something similar, where you can punch in 1-3 ingredients and get their recipes using those, but I like the addition of what ingredients you want to avoid! I always use it after I get my co-op basket. I invariably get a couple of fruits or veggies that I have no idea how to cook with. :)

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #6019 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »

It's rather extreme but I created an Excel database of all my recipes with key ingredients and use the filter function to get a list of recipes that use "ingredient". 

It started simply enough: I couldn't find a certain recipe one day and started using sticky notes in my cookbooks to help keep track of the favourites. The sticky notes started falling out, so I switched to a paper list.  The paper list became annoying after I started keeping track of the recipes I wanted to try as well as the favourites and was moved to Word (or Wordperfect).  Then I decided to add a short list of ingredients to remind me why the recipe was marked as a favourite or one to try. At some point, DH pointed out that Excel's filter function would make it much easier to run searches (I was using Find) and the database was born.

The database was a lot of work but makes it so much easier planning a menu for the week and making the grocery list. And there are fewer quick trips to the store to get that one last thing.
The days are long but the years are short.

Louie_LI

« Reply #6020 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »

My very first time to vote was absentee. I turned 18 while I was living in the UK. My "permanent address" was my grandmother's house in Texas, so that's where I was registered to vote. I got an absentee ballot that included all the same races as the regular ballots and mailed it back in.

I should have been more precise. There's a difference between absentee voting for residents who just happen not to be there, and the Federal Voter system. Absentee voters can vote as they would normally. Special Federal voters are those who are no longer residents in the US and the program allows them to vote via their last state of residence, even if they no longer have an address there. It's up to each state to decide what level of state-level participation is allowed.

sourwolf

« Reply #6021 on: November 08, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »

It's rather extreme but I created an Excel database of all my recipes with key ingredients and use the filter function to get a list of recipes that use "ingredient". 

It started simply enough: I couldn't find a certain recipe one day and started using sticky notes in my cookbooks to help keep track of the favourites. The sticky notes started falling out, so I switched to a paper list.  The paper list became annoying after I started keeping track of the recipes I wanted to try as well as the favourites and was moved to Word (or Wordperfect).  Then I decided to add a short list of ingredients to remind me why the recipe was marked as a favourite or one to try. At some point, DH pointed out that Excel's filter function would make it much easier to run searches (I was using Find) and the database was born.

The database was a lot of work but makes it so much easier planning a menu for the week and making the grocery list. And there are fewer quick trips to the store to get that one last thing.

That's not extreme - it sounds wonderful!  If I ever get around to organizing my recipes this is definitely what I'll do!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6022 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
This is a religious question, which followed a brain-hurty conversation with a religious friend: when did animal sacrifices fall out of fashion?  Was it a gradual thing, or all at once?  (I'm specifically asking about Judeo-Christian tradition, here, but it can apply to pretty much any religion since sacrifices seem to have been pretty prevalent way back when.)  My friend's stance is that Christians consider Jesus to have been the ultimate sacrifice and thus we no longer have to buy doves at the temple to sacrifice them - but if that were the only change, wouldn't modern Jews still have to sacrifice things?

(I really don't want to start a religious flame war or anything, but I really am curious!)

mmswm

« Reply #6023 on: November 08, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but I think the propriety of the ritual of animal sacrifice was being questioned in the decades before Christ. Now I'm curious, and off to go research. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

squeakers

« Reply #6024 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
This is a religious question, which followed a brain-hurty conversation with a religious friend: when did animal sacrifices fall out of fashion?  Was it a gradual thing, or all at once?  (I'm specifically asking about Judeo-Christian tradition, here, but it can apply to pretty much any religion since sacrifices seem to have been pretty prevalent way back when.)  My friend's stance is that Christians consider Jesus to have been the ultimate sacrifice and thus we no longer have to buy doves at the temple to sacrifice them - but if that were the only change, wouldn't modern Jews still have to sacrifice things?

(I really don't want to start a religious flame war or anything, but I really am curious!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sacrifice is a start.. and then just google "when did animal sacrifice" and read the bajillion pages that pop up.

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Elisabunny

« Reply #6025 on: November 08, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
IIRC from the Jewish history course I took, animal sacrifices stopped when the temple was destroyed.  The rabbis at the time considered the situation, realized that sacrifices couldn't be done properly without a temple anyway, and decreed that until a new temple was built repentance alone would work just fine.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6026 on: November 08, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »
Is it really that hard for a left handed person to see something done right handed them adapt it to left handed? I ask this because, as a right gander, I can see something done left handed and go do it right handed. Sometimes I can see something done right handed and go do it left handed (albeit with less dexterity, accuracy, and fluidity.) I am by no means ambidextrous, but it really just doesn't seem that difficult to me to say to myself, "Plant your weak foot and kick with your strong foot regardless if it is your left or right." Is it really that hard?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6027 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Is it really that hard for a left handed person to see something done right handed them adapt it to left handed? I ask this because, as a right gander, I can see something done left handed and go do it right handed. Sometimes I can see something done right handed and go do it left handed (albeit with less dexterity, accuracy, and fluidity.) I am by no means ambidextrous, but it really just doesn't seem that difficult to me to say to myself, "Plant your weak foot and kick with your strong foot regardless if it is your left or right." Is it really that hard?

Depends on what it is.  If it's something that's really more academic knowledge (like how to make a sandwich), it doesn't matter because you're thinking about what you're doing more than how you're doing it.  If it's more kinetic - like a golf swing or knitting - it can be pretty confusing when you have ongoing instructions.  You can get the initial directions swapped in your head okay, but then you're constantly trying to check your body placement against whomever is teaching you and it can be pretty easy to forget to swap over a step or two - and then it's hard to catch what the problem was  :P

Xandraea

« Reply #6028 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
Depends on what it is.  If it's something that's really more academic knowledge (like how to make a sandwich), it doesn't matter because you're thinking about what you're doing more than how you're doing it. If it's more kinetic - like a golf swing or knitting - it can be pretty confusing when you have ongoing instructions. You can get the initial directions swapped in your head okay, but then you're constantly trying to check your body placement against whomever is teaching you and it can be pretty easy to forget to swap over a step or two - and then it's hard to catch what the problem was  :P

My DD is left-handed, while the rest of my family is right-handed.  My mother nearly drove herself batty trying to teach herself to knit left-handed so she could teach my DD.  As it happened, DD got a knitting book and kit and taught herself to knit right-handed.  Problem solved! :)

Iris

« Reply #6029 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:37 AM »
Depends on what it is.  If it's something that's really more academic knowledge (like how to make a sandwich), it doesn't matter because you're thinking about what you're doing more than how you're doing it. If it's more kinetic - like a golf swing or knitting - it can be pretty confusing when you have ongoing instructions. You can get the initial directions swapped in your head okay, but then you're constantly trying to check your body placement against whomever is teaching you and it can be pretty easy to forget to swap over a step or two - and then it's hard to catch what the problem was  :P

My DD is left-handed, while the rest of my family is right-handed.  My mother nearly drove herself batty trying to teach herself to knit left-handed so she could teach my DD. As it happened, DD got a knitting book and kit and taught herself to knit right-handed.  Problem solved! :)

Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking, but i found that touching. What a nice grandmother.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.