Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 977377 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6030 on: November 09, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
I can see where knitting would be more difficult, but golf-swings seem straight forward to me.  I can see where it would be more difficult for children, definitely, but I guess it just confuses me that it's difficult for others because it isn't difficult for me.  At least now I have evidence that it actually is difficult.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Moonie

« Reply #6031 on: November 09, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
I used to work with a woman who crocheted. She was left handed and I am right handed. I wanted to learn, so I sat directly across from her and mirrored what she did. Worked out perfectly.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6032 on: November 09, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
This is a religious question, which followed a brain-hurty conversation with a religious friend: when did animal sacrifices fall out of fashion?  Was it a gradual thing, or all at once?  (I'm specifically asking about Judeo-Christian tradition, here, but it can apply to pretty much any religion since sacrifices seem to have been pretty prevalent way back when.)  My friend's stance is that Christians consider Jesus to have been the ultimate sacrifice and thus we no longer have to buy doves at the temple to sacrifice them - but if that were the only change, wouldn't modern Jews still have to sacrifice things?

(I really don't want to start a religious flame war or anything, but I really am curious!)

Since you are asking specifically about Judeo-Christian traditions, I won't go into details but sacrifices are still practiced by many religions.

GreenHall

« Reply #6033 on: November 09, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
If I get my mom a Kindle for Christmas, do I need to buy the charger, or would her Apple charger work?  Charging from the computer is less likely for her than the wall.

I can't quite tell if it is just a USB charger, or if it has a proprietary connection, like everything else in the world! (Hmmm may need to go to things that drive you up a wall...)

CakeBeret

« Reply #6034 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
If I get my mom a Kindle for Christmas, do I need to buy the charger, or would her Apple charger work?  Charging from the computer is less likely for her than the wall.

I can't quite tell if it is just a USB charger, or if it has a proprietary connection, like everything else in the world! (Hmmm may need to go to things that drive you up a wall...)

It's a micro-USB charger, nothing proprietary. It will come with a cable to plug it into a computer, but you would need a wall adapter to plug it into the wall. The Kindle wall adapter on Amazon is ridiculous (something like $16?) but you can buy either a micro-USB charger or just a USB wall adapter on ebay for under $3.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6035 on: November 09, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
Depends on what it is.  If it's something that's really more academic knowledge (like how to make a sandwich), it doesn't matter because you're thinking about what you're doing more than how you're doing it. If it's more kinetic - like a golf swing or knitting - it can be pretty confusing when you have ongoing instructions. You can get the initial directions swapped in your head okay, but then you're constantly trying to check your body placement against whomever is teaching you and it can be pretty easy to forget to swap over a step or two - and then it's hard to catch what the problem was  :P

My DD is left-handed, while the rest of my family is right-handed.  My mother nearly drove herself batty trying to teach herself to knit left-handed so she could teach my DD.  As it happened, DD got a knitting book and kit and taught herself to knit right-handed.  Problem solved! :)

I know a professional knitter (pattern writer and does lessons).  She learned to knit watching facing her older relatives.  They didn't teach her (no verbal instruction) she just observed.  As such she learned left handed since she just mirrored them.  Now she teaches her right handed students to mirror her so they learn right handed and her left handed students she has sit side by side with her.

mmswm

« Reply #6036 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
I can see where knitting would be more difficult, but golf-swings seem straight forward to me.  I can see where it would be more difficult for children, definitely, but I guess it just confuses me that it's difficult for others because it isn't difficult for me.  At least now I have evidence that it actually is difficult.

It's possible that you're more ambidextrous than you realize.  I think most people with a fully dominant side would have experiences like Slartibartfast described.

I can generally switch back and forth with anything that requires gross motor skills with relative ease.  I was a left handed child but my early teachers forced me to write right handed. My handwriting is pathetic, btw.  I have one child who is fully ambidextrous (he switches his writing hand when he gets tired, and it's impossible to tell what he wrote with what hand), one who's left handed, and one who's right handed. It really is interesting to watch them tackle new tasks.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6037 on: November 09, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »

It's a micro-USB charger, nothing proprietary. It will come with a cable to plug it into a computer, but you would need a wall adapter to plug it into the wall. The Kindle wall adapter on Amazon is ridiculous (something like $16?) but you can buy either a micro-USB charger or just a USB wall adapter on ebay for under $3.

My Kindle came with both the cable and the wall adapter. I use a Belkin surge suppressor with two USB ports that I use anyway.

CakeBeret

« Reply #6038 on: November 09, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

My Kindle came with both the cable and the wall adapter. I use a Belkin surge suppressor with two USB ports that I use anyway.

Odd. Mine only came with the cable, and I thought that that was the norm.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6039 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

It's possible that you're more ambidextrous than you realize.  I think most people with a fully dominant side would have experiences like Slartibartfast described.

I can generally switch back and forth with anything that requires gross motor skills with relative ease.  I was a left handed child but my early teachers forced me to write right handed. My handwriting is pathetic, btw.  I have one child who is fully ambidextrous (he switches his writing hand when he gets tired, and it's impossible to tell what he wrote with what hand), one who's left handed, and one who's right handed. It really is interesting to watch them tackle new tasks.

I guess I very well be. I never thought I was because I'm definitely right hand dominant, but the more I think about it, I do some "left handed" things. I wear my watch on my right wrist and prefer to eat with my fork in my left hand (I find eating like Europeans to be so much easier).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6040 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »

Odd. Mine only came with the cable, and I thought that that was the norm.

They changed. Either over time, or by price point.

My first Kindle came with cable AND adapter. My second Kindle came with cable only.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6041 on: November 09, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I used to work with a woman who crocheted. She was left handed and I am right handed. I wanted to learn, so I sat directly across from her and mirrored what she did. Worked out perfectly.

That's really helpful- I was wondering how to teach my lefty son to knit!
NE England

Louie_LI

« Reply #6042 on: November 09, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

That is really cool. Part of my job is taking minutes, and I would so love to be able to switch hands during the day! Oh, the envy!

mmswm

« Reply #6043 on: November 10, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

That is really cool. Part of my job is taking minutes, and I would so love to be able to switch hands during the day! Oh, the envy!

I know!  I'm more than a little jealous of him in that regard.  It was sort of a process though.  When he was in Kindergarten he would work the left side of a page with his left hand and the right side with his right hand.  In 1st grade (the first time, he repeated 1st), his teacher made him choose a hand.  Since every other kid in the class was right handed, of course, he went with his right.  He still did everything else with both hands, but kept using his right for writing for a couple years.  Then two years ago he developed a large bone tumor that gradually locked up his right wrist.  He began using his left hand again.  The doctors told me they'd never be able to restore full range of motion in his right hand, so I encouraged the left-handedness, since he doesn't have any deformities in that hand/wrist. After about 6 months of trying again, his left hand writing is indecipherable from his right hand writing.

On a side note, he goes into surgery on Monday for the first of several procedures to attempt to remove the tumor and straighten out the radius (which is curved as a result of the tumor growing and pushing it outward).  We've moved to a different hospital, and this hand surgeon wants to use a different technique than his old hand surgeon, and she thinks we might be able to restore 80% of his range-of-motion, which double what the old surgeon was aiming for.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6044 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »
I have heard (and this is worth what you paid for it) that midline switching like that can be an early sign of dyslexia, mmswm.  Not that it necessarily applies in this case, of course, but it's worth looking into if you think that might be an issue later on.