Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016790 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6045 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:24 AM »
I have heard (and this is worth what you paid for it) that midline switching like that can be an early sign of dyslexia, mmswm.  Not that it necessarily applies in this case, of course, but it's worth looking into if you think that might be an issue later on.

I did the switching hands as a kid....actually I still do it.  If one hand starts hurting, I'll swap.  Or if space is cramped on one side and not the other, I will swap.  The best advantage is I can jot notes lefty and scroll my mouse righty at the same time...it's very efficient.   ;)  My hand writing is slightly better with my right, but not by much.  I usually eat lefty and can play most sports either handed, though I bowl and bat marginally better lefty.

FTR, I am very dyslexic.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6046 on: November 10, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
One of my DFIL's professors at Georgia Tech used both hands to write on the blackboard at the same time. Being ambidextrous, to that extent, is a marvelous thing!

mmswm, I am praying and hoping your son's procedure and recovery are quick and that he recovers all motion.

mmswm

« Reply #6047 on: November 10, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
I have heard (and this is worth what you paid for it) that midline switching like that can be an early sign of dyslexia, mmswm.  Not that it necessarily applies in this case, of course, but it's worth looking into if you think that might be an issue later on.

I am dyslexic, as is my father, so it is something I've kept an eye out for in my own kids.  So far, other than the switching at midline thing, he's not shown any signs of being dyslexic himself.  Of course, he's only 10, so I'm still watching, but hoping for the best.  The poor kid has enough going against him, I really hope not to add anything else.

Ladyknight, thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #6048 on: November 11, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
I just have to ask this. Dad and I had a laugh talking about this.

Earlier this year, he got married in Second Life, a virtual online world. Next year, he will be marrying her in real life. He wanted to know if he was doing an etiquette blunder of having two weddings.

Sadly I was unable to attend the first wedding and I hope to make the second. They live several thousand miles from each other and plan on a Vegas wedding in the middle.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6049 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

Earlier this year, he got married in Second Life, a virtual online world. Next year, he will be marrying her in real life. He wanted to know if he was doing an etiquette blunder of having two weddings.

Sadly I was unable to attend the first wedding and I hope to make the second. They live several thousand miles from each other and plan on a Vegas wedding in the middle.

Virtual?  To me that means it's not real.  So he had a not real wedding in a not real world.  And he's wondering if his real wedding is not etiquettely correct?  Am I missing something here?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6050 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

Virtual?  To me that means it's not real.  So he had a not real wedding in a not real world.  And he's wondering if his real wedding is not etiquettely correct?  Am I missing something here?

I think Doll Fiend's dad is just joking.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6051 on: November 11, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »

I would hope so, but Doll Fiend said she couldn't attend the "first wedding."  But there wasn't a first wedding.  It wasn't real life. 

Is this a joke or what?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6052 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

I would hope so, but Doll Fiend said she couldn't attend the "first wedding."  But there wasn't a first wedding.  It wasn't real life. 

Is this a joke or what?

Yes, it's a joke.  She couldn't attend the first wedding because it was online in a virtual game; that's part of the joke.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6053 on: November 11, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
Has anyone else ever gone to law (or grad) school and finally "hit the wall", so to speak, of feeling genuinely stupid? I get the material we're covering in class. I did well on my midterm, but legal writing is killing me. My professor probably thinks that I'm unteachable at this point. I've also heard that a lot of people start out their first year feeling this way, but right now I'm having to force myself through another memo that I'll be embarrassed to turn in. I feel like putting a disclaimer or attaching a copy of my LSAT score to try and prove that I am not as stupid as the words I've strung together on the page.

I went though the same thing at uni.  It's okay, it's certainly not uncommon and you will be just fine.  Just keep plodding along until you break through.

Is there any way an older student could guve you some extra tuition or something, to get your confidence up?

I'm a grad student and I feel like this on a daily basis. Speaking to my classmates and those from previous cohorts, everybody feels like this in some aspect. Some topics I understand in no time and generate quality work with little effort and others I feel like are in a different language. One of my weak points is writing and I broke down a science writing for dummies type book and it's been my saving grace: that and some heavy editing.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6054 on: November 11, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »

Is this a joke or what?

Yes, it's a joke.  She couldn't attend the first wedding because it was online in a virtual game; that's part of the joke.

Okay, that's good.  Whew!  :)  You never know sometimes!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6055 on: November 12, 2012, 12:42:03 AM »

Is this a joke or what?

Okay, that's good.  Whew!  :)  You never know sometimes!

Haha, you're right...now watch me be completely wrong  ;D
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6056 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Does anyone know if you can have both DirectTV and Dish Network hooked up to one TV at the same time?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6057 on: November 16, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Does anyone know if you can have both DirectTV and Dish Network hooked up to one TV at the same time?

Sort of. You'd have to have them set up as an a-b input, on a switch (like we used to have the Pong game and the Commodore 64).

The better question is - why??

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6058 on: November 16, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
rose red wrote:

"Does anyone know if you can have both DirectTV and Dish Network hooked up to one TV at the same time?"

Assuming your TV can handle multiple inputs, you certainly can.

Virg

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6059 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »

Sort of. You'd have to have them set up as an a-b input, on a switch (like we used to have the Pong game and the Commodore 64).

The better question is - why??

My parents subscribe to an international package in our language on DirectTV and they dropped those channels and Dish picked that package up.  DirectTV now has a new package for less than $15 so we figure we'll check out those new shows before deciding to cancel or not. 

Thanks for the answer from you and Virg.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:24:39 PM by rose red »