Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016626 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6060 on: November 17, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
Is it hard to budget when you only get paid once a month?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6061 on: November 17, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »

It can take some getting used to.  Also, more taxes tend to be taken out than if you were paid biweekly.  A friend of mine told me it took her about 6 months to really get the hang of it, but I confess she isn't the best with a budget.  She said the hardest part was paying her bills on time...she finally learned to pay them all the day she was paid regardless of what date they were due during the month, then to split the remainder for the next few weeks.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6062 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »

It can take some getting used to.  Also, more taxes tend to be taken out than if you were paid biweekly.  A friend of mine told me it took her about 6 months to really get the hang of it, but I confess she isn't the best with a budget.  She said the hardest part was paying her bills on time...she finally learned to pay them all the day she was paid regardless of what date they were due during the month, then to split the remainder for the next few weeks.

I actually found it easier. I knew that out of every paycheck exactly how far it had to stretch. So much for mortgage, about this amount for electricity and gas, 1/12 of the insurance and real estate taxes, etc.

It forced me to think in the long term and know that we couldn't fudge during the pay period that didn't have the mortgage payment, for example. No wiggle room meant not justification for going off the budget. That may be my own little mind-set quirk.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:19:36 AM by Luci45 »

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6063 on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
Monthly payments are the norm here, not fortnightly, so it seems natural to me that pay frequency match the frequency of bills, which are also monthly. I also set up my bills so that they are all due early in the month (around the 5th, so I have time to fix things if anything messes up my pay deposit). Then, the amount in my account is what I have to spend until the end of the month. To me, that is easier than having to consider how much will be deposited in the middle of the month and what bills still have to come in.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6064 on: November 17, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
Monthly payments are the norm here too- so a lot of people make sure that any large payments (mortgage/rent, bills etc) go out just after payday. Monthly direct debits are quite popular.
NE England

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6065 on: November 17, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
I am also paid once per month, and I don't find the frequency of paychecks to be a problem. I think it helps a lot if you have enough of a financial cushion that you aren't counting down the days until payday. I am always paid at the end of the month, and I try to pay my bills as close to the first of the month as I can, but I could pay them earlier than that. So if for some reason I had to pay them earlier, I wouldn't be in a financial bind. Essentially, I've gotten myself into the position where I'm really spending October's paycheck right now, even if I don't actually pay any of those bills until December.

The only thing I truly don't like about being paid on a monthly basis is that, the way my employer does it, I am not paid the exact same amount each month. My pay periods actually run from the middle of one month to the middle of the next, and then I am paid for those hours at the end of the month. So instead of an averaged monthly amount, I'm paid for the actual hours I worked, and every pay period has a slightly different number of hours. I end up using an averaged amount of money (my annual salary divided by 12) for budgeting purposes, and just remind myself that some months will be less than that while other months will be more.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6066 on: November 17, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
[snip] I think it helps a lot if you have enough of a financial cushion that you aren't counting down the days until payday.

POD!  I was amazed at what a difference it made once we had amassed (and kept) enough money in our checking account to cover pretty much any individual bill.  Not everything all at once, but enough that if I messed up and forgot to record a check I wrote or if a bill got mislaid or if I had to write a largish unexpected check.  I had no idea how much stress I had been putting myself under by running close to the margin and having to constantly check whether we were overdrawing and worrying about whether I got my paycheck in the bank on Friday versus Monday. 

(I know it's really hard to get ahead financially when you're paycheck to paycheck, so please believe I really don't mean this as a judgement!  It is a goal worth pursuing, though!)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6067 on: November 17, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6068 on: November 17, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

Try some of those green produce bags - your store probably has them in the produce section.  They really do work!  Then you could shop a week ahead of time and wouldn't have to worry about the produce issue.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6069 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »

Monthly is normal here (for salaried employees), and I don't like it.  All the money has to be allocated and planned out and stretched. Now at my new job I get paid fortnightly and it basically feels like a constant stream of money coming in, we love it!  We are still saving etc but don't have to strategize cash flow as much.   DH is still paid monthly so we have direct debits etc happening on that date, then my money is our living money. So  from my perspective I'd say yes, not hard but harder.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6070 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
I'm not in the US but I find the best time to shop is later at night (after 8:00) if the store is open that late or around what is a normal dinner time for your area.  I find if I shop after 6:00, it is less crowded than shopping at 5:00.  I find Saturday evening a really good time to shop, too.

I have a product by Tupperware called 'Fridge Smarts'.  They are fantastic for produce.  I've kept lettuce and spinach in good shape for more than two weeks.  I put some celery in one this time last year and it somehow got shoved out of sight.  I found it the end of January.  I was afraid to open the container but I did, because I wasn't prepared to throw it out.  Not only was it not an absolute pile of glop, it was still recognizable as celery.  I didn't eat it, mainly because I knew how long it had been there but someone else who didn't know?  Might have used it.  And no, I don't sell Tupperware.   :D

But for you, buying produce Sunday for use on Thursday should be fine.  Make sure you keep everything in plastic bags and tie them off to minimize the air flow.  I know other people who've wrapped heads of lettuce or celery in tinfoil to help preserve it.  Root vegetables would be better off not refrigerated; just keep them in a dry, cool place, preferably not in plastic.  Store each kind of veggie separate, especially keeping onions away from the potatoes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6071 on: November 17, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
New silly question --

When do you shop?

We already did ours on Friday to avoid the crowds. Sunday would probably be your last best bet before the mania starts.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6072 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
New silly question --

When do you shop?

I am halfway done today and will finish tomorrow. I bake things ahead and brine my turkey so I need to have everything 4 days in advance.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6073 on: November 17, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
New silly question --

When do you shop?

Last year, I hosted T-Giving, and was freaking out about this same issue. I shopped Wednesday morning, and had no problems with crowds.  I did my whole grocery run, and was in and out of the store in about 1.25 hours, which is normal shopping time for me.

JoW

« Reply #6074 on: November 17, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
The 2nd and 3rd shift workers where I work say that the 24-hour WalMart near the plant is almost empty at 11:30pm and 7am.  They often stop there after work.   :o

9-11am works well in my area.  That's when most adults are at work and most kids are in school.  5-7pm is about the worst.  That's when most people are on the way home from work.