Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1056190 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6090 on: November 18, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Does running the air conditioner in your car use more gas? I was always told that this was true.

What about running the heater?

To add a variable, I live in Florida.  I think I heard, somewhere, that the drag for riding with windows down uses more gas than just turning the a/c on. 
...I don't want to look it up, because I dont want to know it that's not actually true....

I think that once you are at highway speeds, say over 55 mph, it becomes more energy efficient to use the air conditioning than to have your windows open.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6091 on: November 18, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
Does running the air conditioner in your car use more gas? I was always told that this was true.

Everything that costs energy to use in your car, will make you use more gas.

Airconditioning
heater
radio
navigation system
telephone charger
lights,
etc.

Really? Bold above is electronics. I would think that that would work more on your battery rather than gas.

AC and heat is part of the engine system, right? I'm thinking that anything that deals with the engine would use more gas.

Turning on the radio uses more gas?

Now I'm really confused.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6092 on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

Yes, the Mythbusters compared one vehicle running A/C, and one running just the fan with the windows open, on a race track. The one just running the fan even with the windows open went a lot farther on the same amount of fuel.

JoW

« Reply #6093 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
The battery is recharged by the gas-powered motor any time the motor is running.  If it wasn't you'd have to plug into the house every night so you could run your electronics on the way to work.  But the amount of gas is trivial, probably only a few drops/day. 

A gas engine makes an awful lot of waste heat.  That heat is removed by running the coolant through the radiator.  Heating the inside of your car diverts some of the hot coolant through a "heater core", a small radiator in the air vent line.  If does not use gas. 

The air conditioning gets complicated.  MythBusters (US, cable TV, the Discovery Channel and the Science Channel) has investigated it, but I don't remember the exact results. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6094 on: November 18, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
The battery is recharged by the gas-powered motor any time the motor is running.  If it wasn't you'd have to plug into the house every night so you could run your electronics on the way to work.  But the amount of gas is trivial, probably only a few drops/day. 

A gas engine makes an awful lot of waste heat.  That heat is removed by running the coolant through the radiator.  Heating the inside of your car diverts some of the hot coolant through a "heater core", a small radiator in the air vent line.  If does not use gas. 

But it uses fans, which run on battery power, so a little more gas.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6095 on: November 19, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »

But it uses fans, which run on battery power, so a little more gas.

The answer, according to the Mythbusters, is it depends on your speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%28season_3%29#AC_vs._Windows_Down

At less than 50 MPH, it's better to use the windows. At greater than 50, the A/C wins.

We are talking, however, about a 5% or so margin. Not enough to break the bank on any individual drive, most likely.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6096 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

I calculate my mileage per gallon every time I fill up the tank (i.e. I went 300 miles on 11 gallons last week), so I have a rough estimate of how my car's doing.    Yes, running the A/C uses considerably more gas than running the heater.  My mpg went way down to 25 and lower over the summer, and back up to 27-28 in the winter.
There are a lot of variables, like city-driving vs. highway driving, but those are the rough numbers.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6097 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
A well tuned car also gets much better gas mileage.  I'd been doing the regular maintenance but I was due for a tune-up.  Once that got done, my mileage improved significantly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6098 on: November 19, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
jpcher wrote:

"Does running the air conditioner in your car use more gas? I was always told that this was true."

It does.  The compressor that drives the air conditioner puts load on the engine, and that makes it consume more gas than doing without it.  As others addressed, using the A/C can be more or less efficient than other methods of cooling the car like driving with the windows down, but it'll certainly use more gas than doing nothing.  In older cars, you'll also notice a hit to the horsepower, but newer cars generally use the computer to compensate so you won't notice it as much unless you're driving in mountainous terrain with the A/C running full out.

"What about running the heater?"

This will take less energy than the A/C because it just requires the blower running, since heat just gets taken off the engine.  In most cars the hit to fuel efficiency will be small enough not to be noticeable.

LadyJaneinMD wrote:

"Yes, running the A/C uses considerably more gas than running the heater.  My mpg went way down to 25 and lower over the summer, and back up to 27-28 in the winter."

That's not all on the A/C unit.  In summertime your engine will need to run active cooling a lot more than in the winter, and that eats gas whether you're running the A/C or not.  Active cooling (fan running) versus passive cooling (just the air passing through the radiator and engine compartment) is one of the reasons why stop-and-go driving consumes so much more gas.

Virg

Carotte

« Reply #6099 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
Silly question but I was curious (but don't know where to look) as to how long after starting taking the pill (as in the oral contraceptive pill - here just saying 'the pill' will have everyone understand) does the secondary effect in the lines of gaining a size or two of bra/bosom start?
I don't know if it varies between compositions of the pill but since most girls mentions gaining a size or two I was curious.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6100 on: November 19, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
^  Can't help you.  I never changed.  I was rather well endowed to begin with, though, so maybe that's the difference?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #6101 on: November 19, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
Silly question but I was curious (but don't know where to look) as to how long after starting taking the pill (as in the oral contraceptive pill - here just saying 'the pill' will have everyone understand) does the secondary effect in the lines of gaining a size or two of bra/bosom start?
I don't know if it varies between compositions of the pill but since most girls mentions gaining a size or two I was curious.

Wish that had worked for me! Never saw a change. And I am AA to begin with.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6102 on: November 19, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
^  Can't help you.  I never changed.  I was rather well endowed to begin with, though, so maybe that's the difference?

Me either.  And I'm average.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6103 on: November 19, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

Try some of those green produce bags - your store probably has them in the produce section.  They really do work!  Then you could shop a week ahead of time and wouldn't have to worry about the produce issue.

Thanks! I did pick up the green produce bags for my fresh herbs.

I went shopping this morning (Monday) at 10:00 a.m. and when I pulled into the parking lot I was pleasantly surprised. There were maybe 6-7 other cars there. No muss, no fuss, clerks that were busily stocking the shelves were very courteous and helpful.

By the time I left the store, the parking lot was full.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6104 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »

Never.  And if it does you should talk to your Dr because the pill won't make your boobs actually grow, that would be swelling or bloat aka a negative side effect.  Usually if your breasts go up a size your also get cramps, breast tenderness, nausea and other not so hot side effects (of course symptoms vary from person to person).  If you ever get any physical side effect (welcomed or not) from a drug you should read the drug info insert and speak to your Dr.

(I am not a Dr, but I have been on the pill, various brands, for the better part of 18 years.)