Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 981154 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6105 on: November 19, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »
That's weird, I've always heard my friends (a few years ago, I don't have any contact with them nowadays to ask them again) telling me they got a bit bigger from the pill, from what I understood because of the change in hormones, kind off like how some women have more breast after having kids (and keep it).

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6106 on: November 19, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
That's weird, I've always heard my friends (a few years ago, I don't have any contact with them nowadays to ask them again) telling me they got a bit bigger from the pill, from what I understood because of the change in hormones, kind off like how some women have more breast after having kids (and keep it).

To a certain extent, bc pills act by making your body think it's pregnant. So, you do get a bit of a boost, sometimes. But, your body thinks it's about a month pregnant. So, for most people, that's not much of a boost in size.

On a purely anecdotal note, the friends I know who say they went up, also dealt with a lot of other "early pregnancy" symptoms, and often ended up stopping the pills because of them.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6107 on: November 19, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »

Well a few things.  #1 the pill these days is not the same the same as the pill 5 years ago, which wasn't the same as the pill 10 years ago, which was radically different then the pill 20 years ago.  As medicine advances so do the drugs.

But still some people do get breast swelling, for sure.  But as mentioned its a side effect and usually not isolated.  Usually if they swell (aka grow) they become tender, and usually you might "gain" 5-10 pounds (its generally water weight), and you might feel nauseated (similar to morning sickness).  Sure the big boobs thing sounds great, but its often a sign its the wrong pill (hormone combination/strength) for you. 

Even the people who do ok with the symptoms usually see them in the first 30 days and if they aren't so bad and the woman decides to live with them, they tend to go away after about 3 months anyhow as your body acclimates to the pill.

Really the drug inserts should cover all this (you did read them right?  The pill is wonderful but its also a very serious drug and you should read that insert fully at least 1 year).  Your Dr should have also talked to you about what to expect.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6108 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
Hormonal birth control pills also vary in their affects on your body. Some brands/versions have higher dosages of the hormones than others, and they all use different formulations (which you or any other individual may respond to differently).

I think it used to be more common for women to take hormonal birth control that had a very high dosage of hormones, because that was what was available (particularly when this form of birth control was new). As more studies have been conducted and the medications themselves have changed, I think there are a lot more low-dose versions of birth control on the market. I've only ever taken pretty low-dose versions, and since they work for me, no doctor has ever suggested I switch to anything with higher doses of hormones.

So personally, I experienced no change. In fact, I experienced no negative side effects at all. The only things that really changed for me were what was supposed to change -- I (mostly) stopped getting cramps, and I stopped having crazy mood swings. Other than that, nothing really changed. I started taking hormonal birth control almost 10 years ago, but the general effect the drug has on me has basically stayed the same.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6109 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Silly question but I was curious (but don't know where to look) as to how long after starting taking the pill (as in the oral contraceptive pill - here just saying 'the pill' will have everyone understand) does the secondary effect in the lines of gaining a size or two of bra/bosom start?
I don't know if it varies between compositions of the pill but since most girls mentions gaining a size or two I was curious.

Took a few months, for me.  It wasn't a whole size, but I had been halfway between a 34 and a 36 and halfway between an A and a B - meaning I had to try on four bras for each style to be sure to get the right one - but the pill bumped me up to a solid 36B.  (Then Babybartfast bumped me up another size, and Bittybartfast bumped me up ANOTHER size - I'm not as skinny now as I was in college, either, but I choose to think the extra weight is mostly in my chest!)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6110 on: November 19, 2012, 08:55:11 PM »
I took the earliest form of the pill  - 1966. They were a lot stonger then, and of course a different formulation.

I had no side effects.

Carotte

« Reply #6111 on: November 20, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, as I suspected, different results for everyone.
I did read the insert and it mentioned breast tenderness but not swelling (I read it about a bazillion times and asked three different people (doctors and pharmacists)  because something in the insert contradicted my doctor actually.
I'm on the end of the first tablet and didn't notice any side effect yet but was curious, I'll wait a bit before purchasing new bras just in case  but not by much then.

CakeBeret

« Reply #6112 on: November 21, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
So, I know for sure that this is a stupid question. :)

This is my first time cooking a whole turkey. I read that cooking it breast side down helps keep the white meat juicier. So...which side is the breast side?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6113 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »

This is my first time cooking a whole turkey. I read that cooking it breast side down helps keep the white meat juicier. So...which side is the breast side?

The side with the most meat near the neck hole. There's usually a side that's flattish, and a side that's got a deep notch in the muscle/bone (sometimes covered with skin, sometimes not, depending on who prepared the bird). The side with the notch, and typically the most meat, is the breast side. You can also sort of tell by the wings and legs - they are attacked towards the back of the bird, so the side with the most distance between the point of attachment for the wings and legs and the flat surface of the bird is the breast.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6114 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

First, it does indeed.  The turkey won't be a pretty, but heck, you eat food, not frame it in a gallery.  If it's pretty, that's a bonus.

Second, it's a simple way of saying put the bird upside down.  Think about every chicken or turkey you've ever seen roasted.  Now do the opposite.

CakeBeret

« Reply #6115 on: November 21, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
Thank you both. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6116 on: November 21, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »
Ok the way I always figured out the breast side was to just think about a body in general.  And then feel for the spine.  Breasts are in front and are squishy and soft, spines are in back and are boney and hard.  Breast side down means boney part up, squishy breasts down. 

If you can manage it (easier with a small bird like a chicken then a big ole turkey) flip it the last 20 minutes of cooking - that way the majority of the cooking was gathering those lovely juices in the breast, but those last 20 minutes of breast side up gets you the lovely golden color.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6117 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
Silly question but I was curious (but don't know where to look) as to how long after starting taking the pill (as in the oral contraceptive pill - here just saying 'the pill' will have everyone understand) does the secondary effect in the lines of gaining a size or two of bra/bosom start?
I don't know if it varies between compositions of the pill but since most girls mentions gaining a size or two I was curious.

It was just a few weeks for me, but i think i had an extreme reaction to it. Along with the cups i got a pot belly and my body just felt odd, like it wasn't mine. The day i had a full on hysterical cry because - i kid you not - someone ate the last of the tuna fish that i was going to have for lunch i had to stop taking it. I was losing my mind. It's kind of funny to look back on, but at that time not so much.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6118 on: November 21, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

It was just a few weeks for me, but i think i had an extreme reaction to it. Along with the cups i got a pot belly and my body just felt odd, like it wasn't mine. The day i had a full on hysterical cry because - i kid you not - someone ate the last of the tuna fish that i was going to have for lunch i had to stop taking it. I was losing my mind. It's kind of funny to look back on, but at that time not so much.

I felt the same way as you Hobish, but on a steroid medication. I refuse to take anything that makes me feel other than myself.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6119 on: November 21, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »

It's really interesting how differently people can react to different medications. The reason I finally was able to get on birth control (at 18, with my mother's encouragement) was because of the day when my brother asked me where I wanted to go to dinner, and I responded by screaming at him, storming out of the room, and then coming back to cry on my mom's shoulder that I didn't know what was wrong with me. That, and the cramps that knocked me out of commission for at least one day a month. I'm an emotional person by nature, but that was just too much.

As soon as I started taking hormonal birth control, my monthly cycle turned into a mild annoyance that I had to be vaguely aware of, rather than a serious impairment to my ability to function each month. I thank modern medicine on a monthly basis, and I am seriously worried about what will happen when I stop taking birth control because we want to start a family.