Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1114022 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6135 on: December 01, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
Why do I get a roaring noise in my ears when something painful is in my eye or I hurt my nose?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:51:32 PM by RingTailedLemur »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6136 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
Why do I get a roaring noise in my ears when something painful is in my eye or I hurt my nose?

Sinuses? I get earache, facial pain, eye pain and toothache with mine. I also sometimes have noises in my ears and trouble with balance.
NE England

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6137 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
I get a roaring noise in my ears (kinda like a freight train or an over-active ocean crashing on the shore) when I get a sudden fright or, for some reason or another, feel light-headed. Whenever I hear that sound it tells me that I need to sit/calm down.

Maybe it's the blood or adrenaline rushing through your system to fix whatever is wrong is what you're hearing?

Interesting question.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6138 on: December 02, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
New question -- Nook & Libraries

Stupid because I've had my Nook for almost a year and I should know the answer (but I prefer to buy instead of borrow.) I've looked at the B&N website and can't find out how to do this.

How do you borrow books from the library on your Nook?

Does it have to be a local library?

I'm thinking about getting a Nook for my mother for Xmas and she lives in very-small-town-USA. Does her town library need to have this function available (unlikely) or can she borrow books from any library?

sourwolf

« Reply #6139 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a Nook for my mother for Xmas and she lives in very-small-town-USA. Does her town library need to have this function available (unlikely) or can she borrow books from any library?

It has to be a library that the owner of the Nook belongs too.  The library is paying for the e-books just like they pay for physical books.  It's actually worse because they are only renting them from the publishers and after X number of people have borrowed the e-books they have to pay more money to continue lending them. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6140 on: December 02, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Thanks, sourwolf, that's good to know and very much appreciated. I never would have thought about contacting the home-town library.

Due to your response, I looked up Mom's local library web site and sent them an e-mail asking about e-book availability.

Mom is not a buyer of books, she likes her library. But she has commented on how the large books are uncomfortable for her to hold anymore, so I thought a Nook would be a good gift.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #6141 on: December 02, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »

It has to be a library that the owner of the Nook belongs too.  The library is paying for the e-books just like they pay for physical books.  It's actually worse because they are only renting them from the publishers and after X number of people have borrowed the e-books they have to pay more money to continue lending them.

Thankfully not all publishers have a set limit on how many rentals per e-book.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #6142 on: December 02, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
New question -- Nook & Libraries

Stupid because I've had my Nook for almost a year and I should know the answer (but I prefer to buy instead of borrow.) I've looked at the B&N website and can't find out how to do this.

How do you borrow books from the library on your Nook?

Overdrive is the "big" e-book lending library.  If your mom's library is smaller, it might belong to a co-op that does Overdrive or another e-book lender.

If you want to PM me her library, I can look it up using a couple different sources.

(Reference librarian here, so I deal with e-books on a regular basis.)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6143 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Most of the Classics are free. I have Moby wingadingdingy, Dracula, Jane Eyre among others ready to go! I have read many Burroughs and Burnette books for free. Haven't looked for Heinline or Clark yet.

Many current books are free. I often download something from a new author (with cellphones and computers being important to the plot)  and end up buying later books for $3-$10.  (I have Kindle for iPad. Daughter-In-Law tells me the same for Nook) I have found that the free current authors are a lot better quality and with fewer typos than occured 2 years ago. Cool! Thank you, authors!

Just a thought. I've never borrowed from our library with OverDrive because I don't want to be limited to two weeks. Some days I can read a book of 300 pages, and then it may take me 3 weeks to read an 200 page book.

My daughter-in-law has a Nook and find the same experience.

If you have the time to help your mom, that is a wonderful gift.

dawnfire

« Reply #6144 on: December 03, 2012, 03:49:06 AM »
It can vary according to the library. My library uses adobe digital editions.(epub). it's good as there are lots of e-books in that format out there for free too.

p.s here's a strange thing about my library is that it's downloadable collection is shared by a library system 2 states away.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6145 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:24 AM »
I have found that sharing my library helps defray costs - my mom, grandfather, partner and I all share one library, so we only buy once. I'm sort of the default 'curator' and buyer of most things, but mom has bought one or two, and grandfather has, too. Nook (like most e-book providers) has lots of free content available, and she can also use Project Gutenberg for public domain stuff.

I wish my MIL would let us buy her one - she's mostly blind, but if she has it on the largest text size, she can read. My grandfather (in his 70s, but really healthy) has said the small size of the nook simple touch he got has made it possible for him to read for long periods again - he used to get arm pain from holding the large hardbacks he likes to read, since they are large enough print to be easy to read.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6146 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
I've never borrowed from our library with OverDrive because I don't want to be limited to two weeks. Some days I can read a book of 300 pages, and then it may take me 3 weeks to read an 200 page book.

If you haven't looked into the specifics of your library's rules, my local library also uses OverDrive. I can check books out for 7, 14, or 21 days. It isn't really possible to check things out again in quick succession (like renewing regular books), but I can usually finish what I've checked out in the timeframe I'm given unless I've just lost all interest in reading it. And in that case, I'm usually happy to just return it and check it out some other time when I'm more in the mood to read it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6147 on: December 03, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
We recently called to have Internet turned on at our house. We chose self installation because we have a modem and router. When we went to hook up them, we realized all we have is a phone jack. We called the provider and tried to explain the problem and could we please have a technician out. The technician came out and "repaired the line" but never came in the house (we thought he never even showed up, called today, and that's what the told us). I was frustrated and knew I might lose it a little, so I thanked the lady an hung up.

I just want Internet hooked up and I feel like I'm up against a brick wall. How can I set up Internet with just a single phone jack? If it helps, we have a Motorola Surfboarf 6020 modem.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6148 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
It can vary according to the library. My library uses adobe digital editions.(epub). it's good as there are lots of e-books in that format out there for free too.

p.s here's a strange thing about my library is that it's downloadable collection is shared by a library system 2 states away.
Does anybody else have trouble with free downloadable books?  I had a lot of them, but they all develop the same problem.  In the early part of the book, you push the next page button or swipe the screen and the next page comes up immediately, as it should.  About halfway through it starts taking a couple of seconds to bring up the next page.  This delay time increases with every page, so that by the time you're three-quarters of the way through, it takes a full 20 seconds before the next page shows.  I just quit on one that was not only taking a long time, but the warnings that it wasn't responding kept cropping up.  I finally went to our shelves and pulled out the hardcopy just so that I could finish it!  >:(   Yes, the resizable text in the Nook is nice, but when I can read a page 4 times over before it comes to the next one, that's really annoying!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6149 on: December 03, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
We recently called to have Internet turned on at our house. We chose self installation because we have a modem and router. When we went to hook up them, we realized all we have is a phone jack. We called the provider and tried to explain the problem and could we please have a technician out. The technician came out and "repaired the line" but never came in the house (we thought he never even showed up, called today, and that's what the told us). I was frustrated and knew I might lose it a little, so I thanked the lady an hung up.

I just want Internet hooked up and I feel like I'm up against a brick wall. How can I set up Internet with just a single phone jack? If it helps, we have a Motorola Surfboarf 6020 modem.

It would be one thing if it were a DSL modem, but this sounds like a cable modem.  Am I right in assuming you don't have cable TV?