Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1086649 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6165 on: December 03, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
Why do some cell phone calls sound like the caller is in the bottom of a barrel?  DH can call me on his cell and the sound is crystal-clear.  When DD#2 calls, there is so much reverb that I have to ask her to repeat the bits that I can't make a reasonable guess at.  She can hear me just fine.

DH and I have two older bottom-of-the-line Motorola flip-phones.  DD has a new top-of-the-line Android.  All of us are on Verizon.  So what gives?  Why does the "better" phone have the worst sound?

It could be her case. DH and I both have the same phone (a Galaxy S2 if that helps) and I had no problems whereas he was ALWAYS echo-ey. For some reason one day he had the case off and the sound was fine. He got a different case and no problems to this day. It's worth a try.

My old Motorola flip phone (I loved that phone) used to get echo-ey depending on the reception, so it could be that too if it is happening in certain locations.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6166 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
I have a friend who I want to give two items to: a gift card and a fridge magnet.  I want to send them as cheaply as possible, so thought of just putting both in a plain envelope with the Christmas card, sending that first class.  But then I thought to myself, would the magnet screw things up along the way?  The USPS scanners and sorters, would it demagnetize the gift card along the way?  So I ask you: CAN I do this without screwing something up?  If yes, alternate ideas?

Why don't you just fold over a piece of foil inside the card and put the magnet and gift card inside the foil?  Would that work?

Betelnut

« Reply #6167 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Do you need to put a stamp on a letter to Santa at the North Pole?  Will the mail carrier take it without the stamp?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6168 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
I think it depends on the community.  The letters are likely to be collected but  the post office is as far as it gets.   

When I was a child, letters to Santa usually had a Christmas seal or a sticker as 'postage'. 

One of the major department store chains in the US is collecting letters to Santa in its stores. For each letter, a small donation to charity is made but the letters have to have appropriate postage.  I suppose this is to deter people from stuffing the box.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6169 on: December 04, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
Why do some cell phone calls sound like the caller is in the bottom of a barrel?  DH can call me on his cell and the sound is crystal-clear.  When DD#2 calls, there is so much reverb that I have to ask her to repeat the bits that I can't make a reasonable guess at.  She can hear me just fine.

DH and I have two older bottom-of-the-line Motorola flip-phones.  DD has a new top-of-the-line Android.  All of us are on Verizon.  So what gives?  Why does the "better" phone have the worst sound?

It might be her.
Myself, my DH, my best friend and her DH all have the exact same phone, and same carrier.  I can understand my DH and her DH just fine, and everyone can understand me and the husbands.  But my BFF?  Just like with every previous cell phone, sounds muffled and garbled and awful.  Its her - she just has a bad cell phone voice somehow.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #6170 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
Do you need to put a stamp on a letter to Santa at the North Pole?  Will the mail carrier take it without the stamp?

They did a bit on the news on letters to Santa/North Pole the other day - not only does your initial letter need to be stamped, but so does your return envelope.  The post office will not deliver mail without stamps.

Betelnut

« Reply #6171 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »

They did a bit on the news on letters to Santa/North Pole the other day - not only does your initial letter need to be stamped, but so does your return envelope.  The post office will not deliver mail without stamps.

Who are they delivering it to?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

sevenday

« Reply #6172 on: December 04, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Hmm. I could try the foil.  Maybe I can decorate it to look holiday-y. :P

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6173 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
sevenday wrote:

"I have a friend who I want to give two items to: a gift card and a fridge magnet.  I want to send them as cheaply as possible, so thought of just putting both in a plain envelope with the Christmas card, sending that first class.  But then I thought to myself, would the magnet screw things up along the way?  The USPS scanners and sorters, would it demagnetize the gift card along the way?  So I ask you: CAN I do this without screwing something up?  If yes, alternate ideas?"

Does the gift card have a magnetic strip on it?  If it's a scratch-off, then there are no worries.  If it's got a magnetic strip, then I wouldn't send it in an envelope with a magnet.  My suggestion is to mail them separately.  Mail scanners aren't going to hurt a gift card, so wrapping it in foil isn't necessary (and it's also entirely ineffective) but a fridge magnet in close proximity can ruin a mag strip.

Virg

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #6174 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »

Who are they delivering it to?

There are volunteers who answer them and send back a letter from "Santa".  If a parent writes the letter from Santa they can send it to the town in Alaska with a SASE and get it mailed back with a North Pole postmark.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view%28%29=c[c_uspsjch212062011c]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:00:47 PM by WillyNilly »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6175 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
In big city and small town I've lived in, we just go to the Dead Letter offce at the post office and grab some Santa letters and give to the needy we sort out if there is enough information.

Now with so many USPS offices closing and automatically sending all mail to central station, I don't know of that will work.

(Outgoing mail is just bagged, sent 2 hours away, sorted, and local mail sent back to our post office. So when I send my card or invitation to my next door neightbor, it takes a 4 hour trip and has a good time scializing with the other mail. Then the mail carrier accidentally puts the item in our box, so we end up walking it next door anyway!  :))

lollylegs

« Reply #6176 on: December 04, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
Is there any etiquette regarding disposing of flags?

We've got a small Australian flag on our back door and I just noticed that it's starting to rip so I pulled it down, but (this is the 'stupid question' part) it seems disrespectful to just chuck it in the bin. But what else would you do?

mandycorn

« Reply #6177 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

We've got a small Australian flag on our back door and I just noticed that it's starting to rip so I pulled it down, but (this is the 'stupid question' part) it seems disrespectful to just chuck it in the bin. But what else would you do?

I know in the United States the flag code details how to dispose of a flag properly and it's more than most people want to take on themselves (I think it involves burning it in a "dignified" way), so some of the veterans associations and scout groups will collect them and do away with several at once. You might check with local associations like that and see if they have any suggestions for you.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

lollylegs

« Reply #6178 on: December 04, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

I know in the United States the flag code details how to dispose of a flag properly and it's more than most people want to take on themselves (I think it involves burning it in a "dignified" way), so some of the veterans associations and scout groups will collect them and do away with several at once. You might check with local associations like that and see if they have any suggestions for you.

Great suggestion, thanks!

sevenday

« Reply #6179 on: December 04, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
Re: the questions earlier about gift cards and magnets.  It's a Michael's gift card.  I don't know if those are the scratch off kind or the magnetic, I think magnetic.  What about using a small manila envelope, putting them on opposite corners...?  It'd still be cheaper than mailing separately. I don't know. At this rate I'm thinking it might be better to just throw a $20 in there ><