Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 844980 times)

GreenHall

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6195 on: December 05, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
Why is my Internet connection speed so much slower this week?
I got amazon prime 2 weekends ago, and last week had no problems watching videos,  this week it's play, pause, play pause, ad nauseum.  Why would it change?
( I have whatever the basic-est connection is, through the phone company, and if it didn't/ couldn't work, I'd be fine, but again, last week it worked beautifully!)

Adelaide

« Reply #6196 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
Does anyone else have an almost-eidetic auditory memory, but only for certain things? For example, if I like your voice or it sticks out to me, I can remember 95% of what you've ever said. Same with movies. I can parrot a movie back to you after watching it twice, or a song after hearing it a couple of times. Of course, if my ear doesn't find your voice "memorable" then I'll only remember 75% or so of what you've said. (This is part of the reason I'm hoping to get a job in England this summer. For some reason any sort of British accent sticks with me like glue.)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6197 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Does anyone else have an almost-eidetic auditory memory, but only for certain things? For example, if I like your voice or it sticks out to me, I can remember 95% of what you've ever said. Same with movies. I can parrot a movie back to you after watching it twice, or a song after hearing it a couple of times. Of course, if my ear doesn't find your voice "memorable" then I'll only remember 75% or so of what you've said. (This is part of the reason I'm hoping to get a job in England this summer. For some reason any sort of British accent sticks with me like glue.)

I can hear, in precise details, the exact tone, phrasing, and timbre of someone's voice in certain situations long after the fact. Not with everything, and musical stuff stays more with me than prose, but I can hear the exact almost recorded sound at times. A blessing and a curse (I can remember insults and things in precise detail for years....)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6198 on: December 06, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
Does anyone use Tumbr?  I don't have an account but sometimes look at tags and it's been really weird this week. 

wheeitsme

« Reply #6199 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
Does anyone use Tumbr?  I don't have an account but sometimes look at tags and it's been really weird this week.
Tumblr was hacked this last week. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6200 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »

Thanks.  So it's still hacked and messed up as of today?

wheeitsme

« Reply #6201 on: December 06, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »

Thanks.  So it's still hacked and messed up as of today?

Well, according to Gizmodo, it's fixed.  Here's some info:  http://gizmodo.com/5965154/tumblrs-getting-massively-hacked-right-now-but-theres-an-easy-fix

Carotte

« Reply #6202 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
When do you give an hostess's gift?
My situation might be a bit particular, my SO invited me to his home town (at his parents house) for his birthday (he goes there every year for the weekend).
We're getting there on Friday night and staying for the w-e, and I bought chocolates for the family.
I'm not sure if we're eating dinner before leaving or eating there, and since it will be pretty late it might not be with his parents. I don't know if they're the type to take a tea/coffee after diner because I could get them out at that time. But if I don't get to give them that night how/when do I do it?
I've never really had to bring an hostess gift before, and it's the second time I'll meet his parents.
Oh and I'm really awkward in situations like these..

Amava

« Reply #6203 on: December 06, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
I give it upon entering the house.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6204 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
When do you give an hostess's gift?
My situation might be a bit particular, my SO invited me to his home town (at his parents house) for his birthday (he goes there every year for the weekend).
We're getting there on Friday night and staying for the w-e, and I bought chocolates for the family.
I'm not sure if we're eating dinner before leaving or eating there, and since it will be pretty late it might not be with his parents. I don't know if they're the type to take a tea/coffee after diner because I could get them out at that time. But if I don't get to give them that night how/when do I do it?
I've never really had to bring an hostess gift before, and it's the second time I'll meet his parents.
Oh and I'm really awkward in situations like these..

When you're first coming in and greeting/being introduced to the hosts. "Hello, you're so nice to have us! I thought you'd like these chocolates, they looked delicious."

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6205 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
I've always wanted to know this - how do container ships keep the shipping containers from sliding off the deck during rough seas? I know the containers themselves are really heavy and big (they only look small compared to the rest of the ship!) but I would think one rogue wave and all those containers would be at the bottom of the ocean.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6206 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Why do cats poop in a fresh litter box?  One of mine hardly waits until the fresh litter is in the box before he climbs in.  Does he save one just for that?!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6207 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
LOL.  Yes, I think they do save it, just to christen the new box.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JennJenn68

« Reply #6208 on: December 06, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Why do cats poop in a fresh litter box?  One of mine hardly waits until the fresh litter is in the box before he climbs in.  Does he save one just for that?!

Yup.  I'm sure it's a "MY box!" statement.  (I have three cats, and four litter boxes.  And yes, when I'm scooping them, one of them will be there as soon as I push a box back in line, ready to add his/her territorial marker.  It would almost be comical... if it wasn't so flippin' odiferous!  ::))

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6209 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
Fresh cuts on Christmas trees -- what kind of saw do you need?

We're going to be buying our Christmas tree this weekend, and we'd like to make a fresh cut on the trunk to help it with water uptake.  What kind of saw do we use?  At the lost we used to buy from they'd use a chainsaw, but we don't want to buy a chainsaw to use just once a year.  So what kind of saw do we need?  Is a hacksaw going to be strong enough?