Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1066046 times)

Redsoil

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6240 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
I don't know that an SIJ belt would be much use in pregnancy support if you're wearing it as it's meant to be, for its intended purpose.  Positioning is critical for this one.

There are definitely pregnancy slings made for just this purpose, and they're far more fitted to the task!  Just google "pregnancy sling" for manufacturers.  No good me posting links, as I'm in Aus. so suppliers would be different.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

catgal

« Reply #6241 on: December 09, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Redsoil, I'm a "Down Under" diva too, so would love some ideas of what is available here in Oz.  I appreciate the other suggestions posted so far and will pass them on.

Poor co-worker, she has to link her hands together under her bump and carry it around.  She is carrying all at the front.  I had to laugh at a young man who I saw cast an admiring glance at her bottom.  Wow did his expression change when she turned side on and he saw the size of her bump  ;D
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Redsoil

« Reply #6242 on: December 09, 2012, 04:19:51 AM »
The place I thought had them doesn't appear to, but does have some other interesting products.  http://www.maurtec.com.au/therapeutic_pillows_mother_baby.htm 

There are some pregnancy support belts on this site:  https://www.sportstek.net/backpelvic.html

If you google "maternity support belt" a few options come up.  Whe I'm at work tomorrow, I'll see if I can hunt down the info about pregnancy support belts that a local midwife was getting for patients.  Always better if you have someone in the know to let you figureout what is more likely to correctly support the weight without undue stress on other parts.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Louie_LI

« Reply #6243 on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »

We're not handy people, as you might have guessed, but I was pretty sure the hacksaw the husband borrowed was not going to do the job.  It seemed like it would be like cutting the trunk with a steak knife.

Been there, done that. I think a steak knife would have been quicker!

Adelaide

« Reply #6244 on: December 10, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Does anyone else hear the "mood" of songs differently when they feel strongly one way or another at the time? This happens to me a lot, especially if the lyrics are vague. For instance, take "Never Let Me Go" by Florence and the Machine. I heard the song for the first time and I thought "Wow, this is a somber-yet-strong-and-optimistic song". Now that I'm sad at the moment, I heard the song again and I'm thinking it's the most depressing thing I've ever heard.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #6245 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:37 AM »
Does anyone else hear the "mood" of songs differently when they feel strongly one way or another at the time? This happens to me a lot, especially if the lyrics are vague. For instance, take "Never Let Me Go" by Florence and the Machine. I heard the song for the first time and I thought "Wow, this is a somber-yet-strong-and-optimistic song". Now that I'm sad at the moment, I heard the song again and I'm thinking it's the most depressing thing I've ever heard.

Sure! There's this song my choir sang this semester called "Pilgrims' Hymn". When we first sang it, I found it to be an uplifting song talking about how God is always with the speakers of the poem. However, the day I found out a friend from home died, we had to sing that song from memory as a test before we went on a mini-tour. Hearing the lyrics below now make me cry a little, because it talks about how even in death, God is there. It's a very painful thing.

But my choir director told us one time during rehearsal, "Part of an artist's job is to affirm life." If a song can affirm more than one part of life for you, I think that's wonderful and a testament to all the people who made the song.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #6246 on: December 10, 2012, 03:37:44 AM »

Yeah, that happened to me the other day.
Listening to "More than a feeling" by Boston on the radio in the shower of all places, started bawling my eyes out for some reason even though it dosen't bother me any other time.  :-\
Stewart/Colbert '16

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6247 on: December 10, 2012, 04:13:02 AM »
I love Fields of Gold by Sting, but the song has changed for me since my BIL died as we sang it at his funeral a la Eva Cassidy. It's still beautiful, but now it's poignant too.

Victoria

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6248 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:30 AM »
I've heard different aspects of songs based on my understanding of the words, so I get the idea of different feelings.  To give two examples, I'll use "Hey Jesus" by the Indigo Girls and "In My Dreams" by REO Speedwagon.  For the first, most people seem to hear it as a drunken girl asking God to keep her boyfriend from leaving her, and seen in that way it's sad and a bit pathetic.  But when I heard the line "My baby's gonna leave me" I took it literally, so for me it was always a drunken girl pleading with God not to let her infant child die, and that makes it a lot sadder.  For "In My Dreams", it's obviously written as a wistful love song until you picture the singer as someone who really shouldn't have to dream about it.  In my case it was imagining the song as sung by a teenager to her mother that changed its aspect.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6249 on: December 10, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
I love Fields of Gold by Sting, but the song has changed for me since my BIL died as we sang it at his funeral a la Eva Cassidy. It's still beautiful, but now it's poignant too.

My favorite version of that song.

Dr. F.

« Reply #6250 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
I haven't finished the entire thread, but I have a stupid fashion question. I hope this hasn't been brought up before. Probably not - it's really dumb!

I have a lovely pair of brown high-heeled shoes that I would love to wear with my (several) brown or green skirts. The problem? I can only wear said shoes with socks or tights, otherwise they give me blisters. I vastly prefer socks or thigh-highs, and despise panty-hose. I only have black socks and tights (50% of my wardrobe is black...). This looks stupid to me, so I don't end up wearing my brown shoes, and only wear said skirts with my brown boots, where this isn't a problem.

So, if you were wearing brown shoes and a brown or green longish skirt (below the knee to mid-calf) what color socks or tights would you wear? White is too jarring. I hate taupe or nude pantyhose.

Help?

P.S. Yeah, I know, really dumb.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6251 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
I haven't finished the entire thread, but I have a stupid fashion question. I hope this hasn't been brought up before. Probably not - it's really dumb!

I have a lovely pair of brown high-heeled shoes that I would love to wear with my (several) brown or green skirts. The problem? I can only wear said shoes with socks or tights, otherwise they give me blisters. I vastly prefer socks or thigh-highs, and despise panty-hose. I only have black socks and tights (50% of my wardrobe is black...). This looks stupid to me, so I don't end up wearing my brown shoes, and only wear said skirts with my brown boots, where this isn't a problem.

So, if you were wearing brown shoes and a brown or green longish skirt (below the knee to mid-calf) what color socks or tights would you wear? White is too jarring. I hate taupe or nude pantyhose.

Help?

Dark brown, either sheer or opaque depending on your desired level of formality.

White pantyhose isn't just jarring. It only looks good on little girls. On anyone beyond their teen years, it's massively unflattering.

Amava

« Reply #6252 on: December 10, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »

Help?

Burgundy. Or aubergine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:25:51 PM by Amava »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6253 on: December 10, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
Re: sock colors with brown shoes

Dark green

Burgundy

Beige with some kind of design...I find plain beige kind of blah, but I have some really cute beige trouser socks with Flowers and some stripped and also plaid.

Plaid

Brown with or without designs

Nude/sheer
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6254 on: December 11, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
I think black would work if you match it with something else black like a blouse, jacket, belt, scarf or even a black pin or thick beaded necklace.

What type of top do you wear with the skirt?

Edited to add (the next day): I saw someone at work today dressed with brown shoes, black nylons, brown skirt with matching jacket and a black blouse. It looked good! ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:11:28 PM by jpcher »